Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #46

Photos: Gallery
I never read any review from Ken Rockwell.

02-07-2009, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

he's a bully... that's all

He is opinionated and stupid, which is a bad combination. His writing is child-like, his logic non-existent and biases absurd. He appeals to those who think that believing in yourself is all it takes to be right. I cannot imagine how many beginners have been set on the wrong track and had their money wasted after reading -- and believing -- his crap.
02-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
This is true. It is the reason, for instance, that K200D has a base ISO of 100 while the K100D has 200. Higher pixel density = lower base sensitivity. What that means is that all other things being equal (which they are in reality not) the K200D will be noisier at ISO 200 because it has to amplify the signal 2x, and in doing that it also inevitably amplifies the noise.
No, the D40 not "twice as sensitive to light". It has a different ISO range.
02-08-2009, 06:43 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
No, the D40 not "twice as sensitive to light". It has a different ISO range.
A camera with a base ISO of 200 is "twice as sensitive to light" as a camera with a base ISO of 100. There's a full stop difference.

02-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
A camera with a base ISO of 200 is "twice as sensitive to light" as a camera with a base ISO of 100. There's a full stop difference.
That is actually dependant on how noisy the sensor is at base ISO. If the one that shoots at 200 is noisier at base than the one that shoots at 100 as was the case with the Sony (used in Pentax) 6 mp chip versus the Canon 6 mp chip then no there is not a full stop difference. Whether this is true for all sensor resolutions I have no idea.
02-09-2009, 02:28 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
That is actually dependant on how noisy the sensor is at base ISO. If the one that shoots at 200 is noisier at base than the one that shoots at 100 as was the case with the Sony (used in Pentax) 6 mp chip versus the Canon 6 mp chip then no there is not a full stop difference. Whether this is true for all sensor resolutions I have no idea.
You're right, of course, and that's why in my original post regarding this I said that this applies "all other things being equal" -- i.e. if every variable except sensor resolution can be left out of the equation, which is never the case in the real world, but anyway... What Ken says is true in a theoretical best-case scenario, at least.