Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2008, 03:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Umeň, Sweden
Posts: 755
New Pentax gear reviews by Ken Rockwell

I don't know that this has been posted already, but if it has I apologize:

Just saw that Ken posted reviews today of the Pentax ME, SMC Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7, and the SMC Pentax-M 100mm f/4 Macro. Pretty interesting.

Pentax Reviews

12-12-2008, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member
Albert Siegel's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 343
Nothing Ken Rockwell says is interesting. He reminds me of a crazy homeless guy who tells you all the secrets to life and his opinion on everything while begging for pocket change.
12-12-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ohio USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 96
QuoteOriginally posted by AlbertSiegel Quote
Nothing Ken Rockwell says is interesting. He reminds me of a crazy homeless guy who tells you all the secrets to life and his opinion on everything while begging for pocket change.
I loved the page about the K20 he had

Jeremy
12-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vienna / Austria
Posts: 30
Albert, I agree about Ken Rockwell mostly talking nonsense. But the comparison with homeless is utterly insulting (no pun intended) and arrogant. This would mean that poverty is proof for intellectual inability. It isn't, quite the opposite can be true. Rich and successful people are often socially and morally underdeveloped, which is IMO some sort of precondition to succeed in this world (look at the financial crisis).

12-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Umeň, Sweden
Posts: 755
Original Poster
Ken Rockwell sometimes has interesting things to say, as long as you read his stuff knowing that he's being inflammatory for the sake of being inflammatory -- "Noone needs anything else than the cheapest Canon point & shoot *uses D3 with pro 2.8 tele zooms*). If nothing else, those reviews made me realize I want the M 100/4 Macro, which I previously didn't know I needed
12-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member
soccerjoe5's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
Ken rockwell's a joke. He provides a good laugh every now and then.
12-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,399
For the most part, I see him trying to lure people to click through his referral links to online sellers. I guess it's standard fare for someone making a living off his/her blog.

As with any blogger over the internet, always take his/her words with a pinch of salt.
12-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NOLA
Posts: 396
C'mon guys, be kind, the man sys "I support my growing family through this website.

If you find this as helpful as a book you might have had to buy or a workshop you may have had to take, feel free to help me continue helping everyone."
He needs help ...:-)

12-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philippines
Posts: 99
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Ken rockwell's a joke. He provides a good laugh every now and then.
I wholeheartedly agree!
12-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: India
Posts: 162
I think if Pentax gets into his pages, he will like it. That is going to be free publicity for Pentax as people who don't like him or his comments still visit his pages, read the contents.
12-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,915
QuoteOriginally posted by Substitute Quote
C'mon guys, be kind, the man sys "I support my growing family through this website.

If you find this as helpful as a book you might have had to buy or a workshop you may have had to take, feel free to help me continue helping everyone."
He needs help ...:-)
he also says to take nothing he says seriously in the About Me
12-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Albert Siegel's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 343
QuoteOriginally posted by ratjadi Quote
Albert, I agree about Ken Rockwell mostly talking nonsense. But the comparison with homeless is utterly insulting (no pun intended) and arrogant. This would mean that poverty is proof for intellectual inability. It isn't, quite the opposite can be true. Rich and successful people are often socially and morally underdeveloped, which is IMO some sort of precondition to succeed in this world (look at the financial crisis).

It is only insulting if you try to take a position of knowing what someone thinks when you are not that person or in their situation, that is the only thing arrogant about this in my opinion.

I never said or hinted that poverty is proof of intellectual inability. I simply gave a scenario of a believable situation which he can be compared to. I never thought of poverty as being synonymous with intellectual inability, that was your perception. That being said, could it be you that sees things that way?

Anyway, I based my opinion on an actual person I met while on assignment. This is hardly an arrogant attempt to insult anyone other than Ken Rockwell who I do believe is proof of intellectual inability. If anything, I insulted the homeless man when I compared Ken Rockwell to him.
12-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,216
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
For the most part, I see him trying to lure people to click through his referral links to online sellers. I guess it's standard fare for someone making a living off his/her blog.

As with any blogger over the internet, always take his/her words with a pinch of salt.
Ahhh, come on...He makes his living as a professional photographer! Just ask him!





Steve
12-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,434
Noooooooooooooo...............
12-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member
Das Boot's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sparkle City, South Cackalacky
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 689
I've always enjoyed this link: Ken Rockwell Facts
It's a great laugh... really.

-Brian
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
ken, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pentax-m, reviews, smc
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ken Rockwell The film evangelist Lambda_drive Photographic Industry and Professionals 42 12-04-2011 01:24 PM
Ken Rockwell Facts sebberry General Talk 15 02-24-2010 12:16 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax gear for Canon gear pingflood Sold Items 13 01-23-2009 01:56 AM
Let's hope Ken Rockwell is right for once... JMS Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 04-04-2008 03:17 PM
Imaging Resource's SLR Gear Reviews Pentax bobrapp Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 03-08-2008 06:26 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:44 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top