Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2022, 05:11 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There was a very interesting development today, and one that basically putts rest the idea that Pentax is trying to bump up the prices of their products.

The prices of Pentax gear on the official Ricoh Store have been revised, and they have been revised down. That's right, against a background of other camera manufacturers raising prices, Pentax has reduced them on its site.

I was not keeping track of all the prices to give a before-after comparison, but I do know what happened with the K-3 III.
Before: 249,800 with a 3-year warranty
After: 202,210 yen with a 3-year warranty

It's a significant change and basically makes the Ricoh Store the best place to buy. You can get it slightly cheaper elsewhere, but only with the standard 1-year warranty. This is what Ricoh Imaging was trying to do - avoid the situation where brick-and-mortar retailers were forcing them into selling for an uncompetitive price.

I wouldn't assume that all products have had the same reduction. I think the K-3 III is the most extreme example, but the lenses seem to be cheaper than they were too.

The one catch is that you earn less store points when making a purchase, but the overall effect is a much better deal for the customer.

So a few months ago when I explained the background of the new strategy, I likened this to a Dell-style direct sales method, not a boutique-style Leica approach. I feel today's change pretty much proves this.

The only problem is that they have not announced a move to direct sales in other countries, so there is no logical reason why prices should change elsewhere for now.
Once again, thanks for these boots-on-the-ground reports keeping us up to date. If it allows Pentax to reduce pricing by taking sales inside, while maintaining or better yet increasing their margin on cameras and lenses, I'm good with it. The 3-year warranty would be delicious icing.

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-15-2022 at 05:50 AM.
04-15-2022, 05:46 AM   #47
Pentaxian

The corresponding announcement:

リコーイメージングストアの強化に伴うPENTAXブランド商品の販売価格見直しについて|RICOH IMAGING

"Revision of sales prices of PENTAX products in line with the strengthening of the Ricoh Imaging Store

With the launch of the new sales structure on 1 April 2022, the Ricoh Imaging Store has renewed its existing sales prices and rules for granting redemption points to customers as part of its efforts to strengthen sales of the PENTAX brand. The sales price of the products offered will be directly reflected in the price of the product.

The sales prices of PENTAX-branded products and some other products have been revised.
The 10% point rebate for Ricoh Imaging Photo ID members is no longer offered and is reflected in the sales price.

The point benefit for Ricoh Imaging Family Club Club members (3%) and Premium members (5%) will continue.

The new prices are available from today.
"
04-15-2022, 05:51 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There was a very interesting development today, and one that basically putts rest the idea that Pentax is trying to bump up the prices of their products.

The prices of Pentax gear on the official Ricoh Store have been revised, and they have been revised down. That's right, against a background of other camera manufacturers raising prices, Pentax has reduced them on its site.

I was not keeping track of all the prices to give a before-after comparison, but I do know what happened with the K-3 III.
Before: 249,800 with a 3-year warranty
After: 202,210 yen with a 3-year warranty

It's a significant change and basically makes the Ricoh Store the best place to buy. You can get it slightly cheaper elsewhere, but only with the standard 1-year warranty. This is what Ricoh Imaging was trying to do - avoid the situation where brick-and-mortar retailers were forcing them into selling for an uncompetitive price.

I wouldn't assume that all products have had the same reduction. I think the K-3 III is the most extreme example, but the lenses seem to be cheaper than they were too.

The one catch is that you earn less store points when making a purchase, but the overall effect is a much better deal for the customer.

So a few months ago when I explained the background of the new strategy, I likened this to a Dell-style direct sales method, not a boutique-style Leica approach. I feel today's change pretty much proves this.

The only problem is that they have not announced a move to direct sales in other countries, so there is no logical reason why prices should change elsewhere for now.
Thanks for your information.
The European store(s?) offers a 300€ rebate, thus making the K-3III quite attractive at 1699,- incl. VAT! Don't know if this is a time limited offer or a constant reduction though.
04-15-2022, 06:01 AM   #49
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Thanks for your information.
The European store(s?) offers a 300€ rebate, thus making the K-3III quite attractive at 1699,- incl. VAT! Don't know if this is a time limited offer or a constant reduction though.
That's really good news, because I know EU prices are often quite high.

I know the K-3 III's price was an unwelcome surprise for many, but it's a really good camera and that is a very fair price for it.

04-15-2022, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
EU prices are not that bad when you remember that all taxes are included into it.

All in all it seems more like discount policy revision then price revision. If most people were getting 10% discount then you may as well set the basic price at 10% lower and remove discount. May irritate some customers, but will most likely attract others that were not interested in checking discounts etc.

Oh, usual doom saying: they are trying to sell as much as possible before closing! Pentax is doomed(TM)
04-15-2022, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
(...)
As presented, it's a time-limited (14 April - 14 May) Spring operation.

04-15-2022, 03:40 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
As presented, it's a time-limited (14 April - 14 May) Spring operation.

Thanks for checking, so it's the white print on the yellow though, did not catch my eye on first glance

04-21-2022, 03:44 AM - 4 Likes   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Ricoh Imaging Japan have a new guy in charge of social networking for the Pentax brand since the first of April. His/her (nick)name is OGA.

(...)
Actually there are three people who have regularly posted on Facebook using the 'ペンタックス (PENTAX by RICOH IMAGING)' account since the 1st of April:
  • OGA, 'in charge of SNS since April', 'PENTAX official staff apprentice' (見習)
  • MAKI, 'in charge of SNS since April'
  • Yuzu, 'PENTAX official editor-in-chief since April' (編集長)
the latter posting less often than the other two.
05-01-2022, 11:48 PM   #54

Thank you