Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy K20D Super if it had FF sensor instead of current cropped one?
No, I think I'll never go Full Frame. 25244.06%
Yes, where can I pre-order? 32055.94%
Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 01:11 AM   #211
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It's lucky I don't despise them then isn't it.
Touche.

01-05-2010, 01:15 AM   #212
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fanboys are those who can see no wrong in the brand they have chosen.
Understood... But those who made their choices and are happy with them (see no wrong in them up to the point where they can work around whatever deficiencies the gear has) - those are not fanboys, right?

As for your point regarding the FF camera. I also wait for it. But I am pretty happy with the gear that I have at the moment. I am not trying to say that FF will actually improve my photography. But if Pentax produces a FF body that I can afford, I am likely to buy it since I think that I indeed can take an advantage of additional sensor area... And it makes no financial sense for me to go and switch systems just because there is Nikon D700, Sony A850, Leica M9 and Canon 5D(Mk2) out there. I am really happy about my lenses and the FF body to mount them upon will either come or not. I am not going to weep about that either way.
01-05-2010, 01:52 AM   #213
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Understood... But those who made their choices and are happy with them (see no wrong in them up to the point where they can work around whatever deficiencies the gear has) - those are not fanboys, right?
Right,but it's not a question of seeing no wrong, that's just being practical, every camera has it's deficiencies.

As for your point regarding the FF camera. I also wait for it. But I am pretty happy with the gear that I have at the moment. I am not trying to say that FF will actually improve my photography. But if Pentax produces a FF body that I can afford, I am likely to buy it since I think that I indeed can take an advantage of additional sensor area... And it makes no financial sense for me to go and switch systems just because there is Nikon D700, Sony A850, Leica M9 and Canon 5D(Mk2) out there. I am really happy about my lenses and the FF body to mount them upon will either come or not. I am not going to weep about that either way.
Who knows what the future holds with sensor technology FF or otherwise, surely it's better to wait and see what's around the corner, less disappointing that way. Pentax may bring out a FF camera and soon after Canon or Nikon or one of the others will come out with a new development that makes everything else completely obsolete. People have been harping on about a FF Pentax camera for a long time now (this thread is a case in point), it gets a bit tedious especially when many of the harpers don't show any evidence of even taking photographs. Considering this is a photography forum and there are so many members, there's quite a high percentage who never post photos. There's no requirement to post pictures but it's got to make you wonder.
01-05-2010, 01:52 AM   #214
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Touche.
It's been fun.

01-05-2010, 02:15 AM   #215
Veteran Member

Considering this is a photography forum and there are so many members, there's quite a high percentage who never post photos. There's no requirement to post pictures but it's got to make you wonder.
Garry, we can only construct our opinion from the things that we see/know/etc. Indeed, may be in 10 years all this photography will be obsolete for general public, and only select few (like those who shoot 4x5 or 8x10 these days) will be photographers in the good olde sense of that word.

OTOH, I come from Russian Penta Club which is a forum with split personality. Many folks there come to talk about technology/technique/pixel peeping/testing etc, without intent to ever post a picture. Indeed, I couldn't grok what is the intended purpose of this forum, but you can discuss Pentax in particular and photo gear in general without taking much pictures and/or showing them.

Having said that, I did find a few threads here that are photography related and where I posted my stuff, because I felt like it.
01-05-2010, 03:19 AM   #216
Veteran Member

People have been harping on about a FF Pentax camera for a long time now (this thread is a case in point), it gets a bit tedious especially when many of the harpers don't show any evidence of even taking photographs.
I already posted the following months ago (not my photographs, though):

Ramsey Gimpler's Wedding - a set on Flickr (D700 and Sigma 24mm f/1.8)

Wide and fast gives you more flexibility and let's you take some--in my opinion--interesting photographs.
01-05-2010, 03:44 AM   #217
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote

Wide and fast gives you more flexibility and let's you take some--in my opinion--interesting photographs.
You'll get no argument from me on that. It's also easier said than done. I drive a Jeep, it doesn't mean I can drive it off road with any competency.
Pentax won't make FF just because people want it, they'll make it if they think they can compete with it. Don't forget, Pentax are about optics, they don't make their own sensors. It would be just as likely they would make a fast 16mm lens.

01-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #218
Pentaxian

It would be just as likely they would make a fast 16mm lens.
But it would have to be a 16mm f/1.2

EDIT: Or they could make a DA645 31mm f/1.8 Limited... Assuming the 645D is 1.3 crop wrt. 645 film, that would correspond approximately to a 24mm f/1.4 on FF :-)

Last edited by gazonk; 01-05-2010 at 08:19 AM.
01-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #219
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
But it would have to be a 16mm f/1.2
Doesn't mean it's any less likely than a FF DSLR.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 01-05-2010 at 10:56 PM.
01-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #220
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The only reason I would like a FF is for the generally better low light. However, with the Kx's performance my opinion may be gradually changing. Maybe APS-C can get better. It's just that it generally lags when it comes to lowlight image quality.
01-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #221
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
The only reason I would like a FF is for the generally better low light. However, with the Kx's performance my opinion may be gradually changing. Maybe APS-C can get better. It's just that it generally lags when it comes to lowlight image quality.
Could any of you please describe what is seen as so strong a performance in the k-x.

Is it its low light ability or its dynamic range?

The reason I ask is that I have not seen so many actual photos that were all that impressive photographically/artistically (though frankly I have not pursued this in any way)

Hasn't there been an issue where sharpness suffers with this camera?
01-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Inspector 17 Quote
Could any of you please describe what is seen as so strong a performance in the k-x.
I haven't seen any banding in photos taken with the k-x, at high ISO.

QuoteQuote:
Hasn't there been an issue where sharpness suffers with this camera?
Huh? Supposedly, the k-x has an even weaker anti-aliasing filter than before, which would make photos sharper, at the pixel peeping level.
01-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #223
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Inspector 17 Quote
The reason I ask is that I have not seen so many actual photos that were all that impressive photographically/artistically (though frankly I have not pursued this in any way)
Pictures that exhibit a camera's technical abilities often don't have any other redeeming qualities.

The kind of pictures you are talking about are those that exhibit the photographers abilities.
01-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by malakola Quote
if pentax is no FF in three months,i will be move to sony
Most likely you will have to move to Sony.
01-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oui si le prix est inferieur Ã* 2500 € et si les caracteristiques de l' AF et des ISO sont au niveau d' un D700. Pour les objectifs pas de probleme ils sont presqu tous FF. A Frankfort des rumeurs circulaient pour un FF en 2011.