Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy K20D Super if it had FF sensor instead of current cropped one?
No, I think I'll never go Full Frame. 25244.06%
Yes, where can I pre-order? 32055.94%
Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IF Pentax were to release a FF in 2009, I highly doubt they would call it the K20d Super.

12-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
IF Pentax were to release a FF in 2009, I highly doubt they would call it the K20d Super.

Yeah I agree, but I could care less what they call it as long it is a FF and it would be nice if it was more technically advanced than the current bodies.
12-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #33
Syb
Veteran Member

Yes.
If it will be 2010 instead of 2009, please tell me quickly. I can start putting some money on a savings account.
12-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
... I don't believe there is a market for a FF Pentax... And that is not making me happy.
As a consumer what I see is a "top model" (which actually doesn't sell much and doesn't make profit) makes cheaper models sell.
May be thats why more and more people prefers the other big brothers N*kon and C*non... I see a lot of people around me buys mostly their lower models which is not better than Pentax equivalent and more expensive though.

I mean you're right, but even if there is no a market, there should be
a FF Pentax camera on the shelves to sell cheaper models.

12-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
No, as:

1) There will be no FF in 2009
2) It will NEVER be called K20D Super. And it will NEVER be called KxxD. It's a KxD specs.
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
unfortunately you're right, neither we'll see a FF camera from Pentax in 2009 nor it's name would be so...

If you want to see a FF Pentax camera soon, vote "yes" on this poll.
If you're not interested in FF then vote "no".
12-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #36
Veteran Member

???

Assume for the sake of conversation - that no FF DSLR will be unveiled in '09 (the most likely outcome, especially since John C. Pentax said in interview Pentax might consider *beginning* to consider looking into FF three years in future). In this light, does it not take at least 18-24 months to get a camera out the door from beginning to end?

So what was the point of this thread?

Last edited by solar1; 12-14-2008 at 03:52 PM.
12-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I thought Full frame K Mount was officially dead inleiu of 645D

Didn't Pentax officially say full frame k Mount is not happening? I thought it might due to all rumors here last here that insisted it would happen.

Would I buy Full Frame K Mount? Likely No as I already own 2 Canon 5D. I added my Canon system this year becuase I got tired of waiting for popular full frame K Mount rumour to materialize and 5D price became quite appealing.

But if K Mount FF issued at less than $2,000 I'd find that appealing once the reviews were written. Pentax ALWAYS likes to launch high which means it would start above
D700 launch of $3,000 or above 5D Mark II at $2,699. Seriously I just don't see Full Frame K Mount happening for years, a half decade length of time.

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
Assume for the sake of conversation - that no FF DSLR will be unveiled in '09 (the most likely outcome, especially since John C. Pentax said in interview Pentax might consider *beginning* to consider looking into FF three years in future). In this light, does it not take at least 18-24 months to get a camera out the door from beginning to end?

So what was the point of this thread?

12-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Didn't Pentax officially say full frame k Mount is not happening? I thought it might due to all rumors here last here that insisted it would happen.

Would I buy Full Frame K Mount? Likely No as I already own 2 Canon 5D. I added my Canon system this year becuase I got tired of waiting for popular full frame K Mount rumour to materialize and 5D price became quite appealing.

But if K Mount FF issued at less than $2,000 I'd find that appealing once the reviews were written. Pentax ALWAYS likes to launch high which means it would start above
D700 launch of $3,000 or above 5D Mark II at $2,699. Seriously I just don't see Full Frame K Mount happening for years, a half decade length of time.
This is where Pentax is loosing grounds due to it famous stubbornness.
I see messages like this quite often on 3 Pentax related forums.
They mostly started after the Pentax officials released famous "...FF K mount is not happening ...". A little bit later those messages often accompanied by For Sale posts with subject "Selling all my Pentax gear"...
12-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
that's a negatory! it would probably cost $3Gs and that's not reasonable with the current financial state
The original question is not whether you would buy one, but whether you would like to see one introduced. Full frame prices for now are still high, too high for most people, but they cannot come down unless more companies are making them so that there is more competition. FF models with more than 20mp used to cost $8,000. Now there are two of them for $3,000 or less because of competition.

So, yes I would like to see a Pentax full frame, even though I won't be buying one in all likelihood.
12-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I bet in two year's time, FF is inevitable for pentax...
12-14-2008, 11:54 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
They mostly started after the Pentax officials released famous "...FF K mount is not happening ...". A little bit later those messages often accompanied by For Sale posts with subject "Selling all my Pentax gear"...
I don't think the issue is stubbornness, it's a lack of financial resources during bleak economic times. A FF body needs a FF lens lineup, and they don't have one. Also, because of their small market share, the economics of scale will prevent them from being able to price it competitively. I'm sure we'd all love to see a big assortment of Pentax bodies and lenses from professional FF down to small APS-C bodies, but that's just to big of a hill to climb for them now. The best we can hope for Pentax is that Hoya is able to hunker down, maintain a modicum of profitability or minimize losses, and maintain a presence in the photographic market that they can build upon if and when the world economy recovers a few years down the line. Even that is going to be a challenge!
12-15-2008, 12:53 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd buy a FF Pentax body as soon as it comes out and reaches Israel. Therefore I voted accordingly.
12-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
I don't think the issue is stubbornness, it's a lack of financial resources during bleak economic times. A FF body needs a FF lens lineup, and they don't have one. Also, because of their small market share, the economics of scale will prevent them from being able to price it competitively. I'm sure we'd all love to see a big assortment of Pentax bodies and lenses from professional FF down to small APS-C bodies, but that's just to big of a hill to climb for them now. The best we can hope for Pentax is that Hoya is able to hunker down, maintain a modicum of profitability or minimize losses, and maintain a presence in the photographic market that they can build upon if and when the world economy recovers a few years down the line. Even that is going to be a challenge!
I was half joking calling it stubbornness.
But then again: Pentax don't have FF camera because there's no FF lens lineup, and there's no FF lens lineup because there's no FF Pentax body. Where do we start?

Just for the record. Pentax designers or managers do have issues with stubbornness. For example everybody here would agree that using inbody flash as AF assist is bad, and Nikon/Canon style inbody AF assist lamp will improve Pentax AF hunting in low light bug time. But for years Pentax is refusing to build this simple $2 feature in the bodies. This is what I call real stubbornness.
Or how hard is to sell us OEM split image focusing screens?
How many Pentax users are buying Katz Eyes or third party screens from China instead of OEM parts? Probably thousands.
12-15-2008, 09:18 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Oddly, I did add a K20D after Eos aquisition

Eventough I essentially completed my Eos dual full frame dslrs system , from start to finish, this year for $11,000 outlay I had planned to cash out of all my K Mount stuff to recoup some of these enormous costs. I hessitated and price on K20D became appealing and on impulse I added it. It is an exceptional dslr. I find it easy to manually focus with factory focus screen and I'm happy with iso1600. Maybe I got a better sample? I think its recent manufactured one with serial numbers start #2898XXX. I don't know, or if it matters. But I am Quite Happy I kept my old glass around that I acquired over the past few years to realize their potential when mounted on K20D w/ Shake Reduction. 99% of my K-Mount Glass is from the bygone era of aperture selection on lensmounts and made for film. Lenses that would be compatible with often rumoured k-mount full frame dslr platform.

Since I bought my K20D price is up $120 for USA model same dealer. Due to this I won't buy another as I usually do because of my rule:

Best Back up camera is always an identical camera body.

So for now I happily own two brands: K-Mount for 1.5x & Canon for Full Frame

12-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just for the record. Pentax designers or managers do have issues with stubbornness. For example everybody here would agree that using inbody flash as AF assist is bad, and Nikon/Canon style inbody AF assist lamp will improve Pentax AF hunting in low light bug time. But for years Pentax is refusing to build this simple $2 feature in the bodies. This is what I call real stubbornness.
Puling numbers ($2) out of your a** isn't any better IMO.

Or how hard is to sell us OEM split image focusing screens?
A lot more than you think, because it screws metering. How would any brand explain ti a user (being pro or dvanced or whatever) that an official accessory to a product lowers the reliability of said product? This is compelte non sense. A pity I agree but it doesn't change anything.

Do the other brands offer such screens? That's easy to put that on Pentax stubbornness don't you think ?