Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy K20D Super if it had FF sensor instead of current cropped one?
No, I think I'll never go Full Frame. 25244.06%
Yes, where can I pre-order? 32055.94%
Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
This was over at DPReview regarding the new Nikon 35mm f/1.8.

I'd rather Pentax keep to APS-C...and they've already had DX primes for ages now - where's the marketing? Where's the press? Bundle the K2000 with the DA 40!!
Pretty much like everyone else, if Pentax ever decided to get a FF out, they still would keep with APS-C for 95% of their sales. No one is dropping APS-C anytime soon.

It is only an option for an eventual top-end body with low sales volumes and hence, the only question is if Pentax can get high return on it... which apparently is not the case right now.

AFAIK there are no technical reasons why Pentax could not get a FF out. The lack of FF lens is not really a problem: get the K1D out with a 24-90f4 and a 70-200f4 and you're done since we already have a few FF primes + some macro lenses. From there get the lenses out gradually.

But the problem is not there, it's 100% economics.

02-11-2009, 02:05 AM   #122
Forum Member

RE:

I voted full frame. If Pentax wants to survive they have to take the bitter pill now. APS-C development has plateud. Even Nikon knows this, you can only cram so many pixels in APS-C, and since people think megapixels is important (and in some ways it is) then APS-C is , in development terms a dead end.

For people siting Pentax should go from MF bypassing FF, Why? Would that step help Pentax any better than going to FF first? Both approach would result in a camera 98% of Pentaxians would not be able to afford anyway.

For FF, the technology is not too distant from their current APS-C cameras. (Mount is the same, auto focus need not change etc.) Pentax gave up their 645s and 6x6s a long time ago (in relative terms) In such cases tooling for these cameras simply do not exist any more. It would I think be a lesser stretch to manufacture a FF camera based on their existing tooling than to manufacture a MF camera.

Would people buy these cameras? Who knows but saying Pentax shouldnt make FF cameras because there'd be no market for it is illogical as saying would a tree falling in a forest make any sound? When the first car was invented did the inventor envision people buying the stuff? Was there even a need for it? I say markets can be "created". Make something truly appealing enough and people will buy it.

And their lies Pentax's appeal. Can you imagine holding a FF frame Pentax digital camera? It would be like going back to the glory days that was Pentax in the 1960s. Heck they can ressurect the "Takumar" brand for their FF lens line and it would give immediate clout and credibility. (At least for the knowledgeable).

Going APS-C now and not developing FF is short-sighted to say the least. They can probably ekke sales for 5 years (even that is a stretch) but then what? Either way it would be a slow lingering death to the inevitable. Develop FF and you still wont know what would happen in the future but at least your planning for the future.
02-11-2009, 02:41 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would buy a 35mm DSLR only if it was at near price parity with APS-C, perhaps 10-15% more and I might realistically consider it.

The supposed advantages of a 35mm sized sensor are largely user based:

1) Shallower DoF: I struggle to get decent DoF at times on my DS. If it were much shallower then I would struggle for the type of photography I generally do. I find it hard to understand why some people (specifically JensR over at dpreview who seems obsessed with this 'advantage') need shallower DoF than APS-C can provide. It can be advantageous in some situations for creative effect but more often than not I find that it gets in the way.

2) Better noise performance is dependent on pixel density and I know that for a given number of pixels a 35mm sensor will always perform better than APS-C all other things being equal, but I struggle to see why a roughly 1 stop noise advantage is worth the price premium. APS-C will improve as will 35mm - there will be a point where APS-C can shoot noiselessly at 1600 to 3200, 35mm maybe 6400 to 12800. Sure 35mm is still better but how useful is this 'betterness'? For some very, for many (most?) not at all.

3). No crop factor and therefore lenses designed for 35mm operate at their native field of view - thus more wideangles fewer telephotos. Given that 12-24mm lenses exist for APS-C I fail to see why anyone needs to go much wider. APS-C has the advantage of going longer - OK you can crop a 35mm image but you sacrifice either resolution or noise performance to match the APS-C surely? Plus who wants to crop all their photographs? This assumes your lens on APS-C can provide the resolution you need of course etc etc.

35mm sensors are great for some people but not for me I don't think.
02-18-2009, 06:22 AM   #124
Forum Member

No, I'll wait for the 645D, and in the meantime take some pictures using my K20D.

Nick

02-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #125
Inactive Account

I'd love to see a FF dslr body as well as a 645FF dslr ....
I seem to have collected (and use ) the majority of the PENTAX camera models, everything from an ES to a 6x7
02-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #126
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samsung (or Pentax) will offer FF camera (21 MP) next year.
02-21-2009, 07:51 AM   #127
emr

I didn't vote as I don't think either option applies very well to my situation.

However, I seriously think it's a FF or Dodo scenario for Pentax. Release or perish. I'm not saying it's a must technology or image quality wise, but that's where the customers and money are heading.

02-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #128
ogl
Banned

Samsung plan to show FF DSLR this year and launch it in 2010. No any square sensor.
Pentax plan to launch 645D this year.
02-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #129
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Samsung plan to show FF DSLR this year and launch it in 2010. No any square sensor. Pentax plan to launch 645D this year.
ogl, as you have posted comments like this in several threads, could you please tell use a bit more. Is there a press release somewhere? Or is it inside information? Hopeful thinking? Guesstimate?
02-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #130
ogl
Banned

It's this day's insider information with 90% probability.

Last edited by ogl; 02-21-2009 at 09:55 PM.
02-21-2009, 09:15 AM   #131
ogl
Banned

Maybe PMA will clear the situation.
02-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #132
Veteran Member

Samsung plan to show FF DSLR this year and launch it in 2010. No any square sensor.
Pentax plan to launch 645D this year.
Now that's an interesting situation. I'm not quite sure in which direction I'd want to go...why not both.

I'm assuming the Samsung dSLR would keep the K-mount?
02-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #133
Veteran Member

I got this information from the man who worked in the team which had developed Samsung CMOS 14.6 MP.
Were you having a few vodka's with the guy ??

Good!! Keep them drunk and tell us everything!!
02-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #134
Veteran Member

I got this information from the man who worked in the team which had developed Samsung CMOS 14.6 MP.
I don't believe a word of it. If any of it is true I'm afraid my hopes for Pentax surviving will be shattered.
02-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #135

Maybe PMA will clear the situation.
Yeah, keep making that shit up. See how many people in this forum will believe you. Maybe you can con Gizmodo into blogging it.