Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2022, 06:38 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh GR IIIx Urban Edition released

Ricoh has announced an "Urban Edition" of the GR IIIx.

This is like the 40mm equivalent of the Street Edition they did for the 28mm camera, but in grey and purple.

https://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info2/2022/20220310_031662.html

It comes with a special strap and hot shoe cover. I can't see the price, but I expect it has a small premium over the standard model.

It's a logical release. Id the 28mm was popular, it makes sense to do a 40mm one as well.

Edit: Looks like it costs 128,520 yen and is limited to 2,000 units.

Here is the hot show cover.

Another article (Japanese):
https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1394135.html

Last edited by JPT; 03-09-2022 at 06:45 PM.
03-09-2022, 08:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If that would be the price in the US, that is about 1100 USD.
03-09-2022, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think that blue and grey looks pretty darn sharp. I wasn't really too impressed by the look of the GRIII street edition, and I rarely like colors (excluding black, silver, etc.) on camera bodies. But this is somehow quite striking to my tastes. I hope this sort of thing does well for Ricoh.
03-09-2022, 09:54 PM - 3 Likes   #4
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What’s interesting about the price is it’s actually about 1,000 yen LESS than the standard one in the Ricoh store. This might be an indication that their new sales strategy will mean slightly lower prices in Japan. If Ricoh intended to go “boutique” and start charging more for cameras, they would certainly take the chance to charge more for a special edition, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

03-10-2022, 02:09 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Urban Edition Limited Kit is limited to 2000 units, but they are also coming out with the Urban Edition without leather strap and hot shoe cover, kind of interesting to see if those are the only differences and what the price difference will be.
03-10-2022, 02:18 AM   #6
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just to be a bit more specific about the price, you can see on this page.
https://ricohimagingstore.com/gr.html

The Urban Edition Kit, even though it includes the strap, extra black lens ring and metal hot shoe accessories, costs a thousand yen less than the standard GR IIIx without them. The prices here look expensive when you convert to dollars, but there are some mitigating factors that sweeten the deal. By buying from the Ricoh store, you get a 3-year warranty. If you go for the packages that cost 140,000+, you get that extended to a 5-year warranty. Also, when you buy, you get 10% points towards your next purchase, and if you are paid-up member of the Family club, that rises to 13% (standard) or 15% (premium member).

I'm wondering if this is a mistake, because the price relationship doesn't seem logical. But another possibility is that there will be a general price reduction to make the standard models cheaper with the new direct sales regime for Japan. Anyway, for now it seems you would be crazy to buy the standard model unless you really must have black.

Personally, I'd go for grey to distinguish between my black 28mm model and the grey 40mm model. Since the two cameras look almost identical, there is a practical reason to go for the colour variation if you have both.
03-10-2022, 02:46 AM - 4 Likes   #7

And what about a rural edition?!?

03-10-2022, 04:07 AM   #8
Unregistered User

plus there will be a firmware update for the GR lllx -quoting Pentax Rumours ": The kit camera will also debut new exposure and focus modes that will be available at the time of the kit’s launch in April for other GR IIIx cameras via firmware update".
03-10-2022, 05:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

In France the Urban Edition Special Limited Kit is €100 more expensive than the standard GR IIIx.

Edit:

The GR III Street Edition Special Limited Kit was €300 more expensive than the standard GR III.

However the GR III Street Edition Special Limited Kit included the GV-2 (Street Edition) viewfinder, an additional battery, the GS-2 (Street Edition) hand strap and an additional (black) ring whereas the GR IIIx Urban Edition Special Limited Kit only includes the Urban Edition hot shoe cover, the Urban Edition hand strap and possibly an additional (black) ring.

Last edited by Mistral75; 03-10-2022 at 06:10 AM.
03-10-2022, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivar_bg Quote
... or the Suburban Edition. Colours bland on bland ...
03-10-2022, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivar_bg Quote
Or a backwoods edition in camo?
03-10-2022, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #12
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's a video of the camera that gives a good idea of what the finish of the camera looks like in reality. It's in Japanese, but what he says is nothing that you can't read from Ricoh's own product page.

Ricoh Product page in English: GR IIIx Urban Edition / RICOH GR III/GR IIIx | RICOH IMAGING

DC Watch video (Japanese, 04:35)

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
In France the Urban Edition Special Limited Kit is €100 more expensive than the standard GR IIIx.

Edit:

The GR III Street Edition Special Limited Kit was €300 more expensive than the standard GR III.

However the GR III Street Edition Special Limited Kit included the GV-2 (Street Edition) viewfinder, an additional battery, the GS-2 (Street Edition) hand strap and an additional (black) ring whereas the GR IIIx Urban Edition Special Limited Kit only includes the Urban Edition hot shoe cover, the Urban Edition hand strap and possibly an additional (black) ring.

It strikes me that 100 euros is about right for a strap, metal hot shoe cover and a spare black ring. If you want those things it's worth paying the extra. It seems like the Japan pricing is uniquely cheap and I guess it may be related to direct sales.

As for whether the black lens ring comes in the box, the product page above specifically says that it is included.

QuoteQuote:
Included items
GR IIIx Urban Edition, Genuine Leather Hand Strap, Ring Cap(Black), Metal Hotshoe Cover GK-1(BK)
You can see it in this image.

03-11-2022, 12:08 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Nice "boy's version" ; the "girl's version" could easily be prepared (for those happy few that got this ring at GRIIIx launch) with the pink ring :

03-11-2022, 06:07 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Gorgeous !!!