Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2022, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Well, the DFA is more than a stop slower, so that's no surprise it weighs much less...

Looks like pretty good astro-landscape lens. A welcome option, since DFA 21 limited is a lens designed with specific purpose, not an all round super wide.
To be honest, this Irix is not an all round UWA either . It's 800+ g, manual focus chunk. I'd argue the DFA is *more* of an allrounder, since f/2.4 is as fast as you'd need for everything but astro and very low light... where the Irix wouldn't be dramatically more useful due to its manual focus.

That said, I'm now *quite* miffed. I was planning on buying only one 21mm lens . If this Irix is really, really good for astro...

03-10-2022, 10:12 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
This was showing as a cine lens, and on the U.S. site it is listed as T1.5 (?). So, for stills I'd say the DFA 21 is going to be the better bet, since it will have AF. Also, currently lists for $1,195usd
Is that list price the norm? The 21 2.4 is currently listed here in the UK at £1349 - even higher at Amazon - and there seems to have been more price increases. The 15-30 is listed at £1629 for example.
03-10-2022, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Nice to see another wide angle option for Pentax K. Funny they launch a 21 so close to the dfa21, 21mm not being the most common focal length.

Shame it's so fast though, it ends up in Samyang territory in terms of weight and handling. None of these third party manual focus manufacturers seem to be interested in small.
03-10-2022, 11:42 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Irix 15mm and love the build & optics, but have found the focal length to be a bit wide for my regular use.

I also have an ancient MF Soligor 20mm F2.8, which gets way more use since it gives me a better field of view for a lot of subjects, focus's silly close distance, and also has wild bokeh wide open, yet gets razor sharp when stopped down. Yeah, its slow'ish in comparison at F2.8, but it's VERY compact, like LTD size, and it's plenty fast for everything but Astro. I'm not sure what that Bokeh would do to stars anyway... bubbly stars? Prolly not great for that.

All that said, I'm tickled Irix is continuing to support K mount. The new HD FA21 would probably get my vote and my money if I wanted to up my game from what I already own, just for the A/F mainly, and the weather sealing and Exif would be nice too.

Eric

03-10-2022, 12:52 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
Do we know if for this lens, electronic aperture for Pentax now means "KA4" (MF, electromagnetic aperture, CPU), "KA" (MF, mechanical auto aperture, no CPU), or "KA2" (MF, mechanical auto aperture, CPU)?
The only connections are electrical.

My Irix 11/4 Firefly came with an interesting variant of the KA4 mount. For the first exposure, it uses the aperture that is set from the camera. After that, it defaults to f/22.
03-10-2022, 01:03 PM   #21
Pentaxian

mtf looks pretty damn good for a 21mm f1.4

DFA*50 for comparison

I don't now how much we can trust Irix mtf however.
03-10-2022, 02:19 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The DFA 21 Ltd is optimised for stunning bokeh and a particular style of rendering and not the striking sharpness of modern DFA* lenses. My copy verifies this. It is easily sharp enough across the frame, and sharpens nicely in pp, but MTF is not what it's chiefly about. I am VERY happy with mine, so the Irix is not a temptation. The compact size and 18cm mfd are real bonuses.

03-10-2022, 02:41 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
mtf looks pretty damn good for a 21mm f1.4. I don't now how much we can trust Irix mtf however.
It doesn't even say what aperture. My guess would be f/5.6 or thereabouts.
03-10-2022, 02:50 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
might be a great lens for astro at f1.4.
I had a similar thought especially since they specifically state that they have taken efforts to deal with coma which seems to be the biggest issue for astro shooting. It is very tempting to get one and take it for a spin.
03-10-2022, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
By convention mtf is wide open unless stated otherwise. You're right though that I don't know how likely it is that Irix sticks to those conventions. A 21mm lens with better mtf that a flagship 50mm is certainly surprising if not suspicious.
03-10-2022, 02:52 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
And then, can we trust their QC?

Well, an option is an option and that's a good thing I guess. Maybe for astrophoto this lens would be better than the D FA 21 Limited.
03-10-2022, 03:09 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
In all good conscience, I can't. Click

New Ultra-Wide lens for Pentax FF... - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Maybe for astrophoto this lens would be better than the D FA 21 Limited.
There are astro photos included here:

https://irixlens.com/photo-lenses/21mm/
03-10-2022, 03:16 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, an option is an option and that's a good thing I guess. Maybe for astrophoto this lens would be better than the D FA 21 Limited.
My copy of the 11mm is as good as one could expect from such a wide lens, for what it's worth.

Astro is probably the one field where this lens would be better than the DFA. Of course, it's also about half as expensive, so that counts for something...
03-10-2022, 06:02 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last year at this time, a friend upgraded from his K70 to a K1mkII, primarily for astrolandscapes. We walked through every lens available for a month, and the Samyang/Rokinon QC was just a deal breaker. The 24/f1.4 would have been the choice - but the QC issues were just not worth the effort. He went with the Sigma 35/f1.4 Art lens, which has been stunning, but somewhat narrow for the Milky Way. He also came across a Rokinon 14mm/f2.8 for $100 that was worth taking a chance.

The DFA 21/f2.4 was tempting, but right now I've been using either the 15-30/f2.8 or my ZK 25/f2.8, so I didn't see any compelling advantage. However, this IRIX does appear to tick all the boxes - and based on their other lenses, apparently has a pretty decent build and quality control. F1.4 aperture at around $750 is extremely tempting.

03-10-2022, 10:44 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Filter mount N/A. No front filters.