Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2022, 02:40 PM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
I neither but what has LV to do with what I said?

Pentax did all they could to make this camera small and light, up to the point where they gave it only fixed screen. And yet currently only lens on the technical level of this small and compact camera is 2kg heavy FF monster.

Pentax currently does not have a long lens to compliment both size and AF capabilities of K-3 Mk III. In other words there is no pro-level setup for long zoom action shooting for new flagship. K-3 Mk III is flagship without ammo.
LV has little use to photograph motion,
so there was little reason for providing a flipping screen
on a camera which has photographing motion as it’s primary reason.
That is totally intuitive to me.

The reasons given for a flipping screen involve such activity as avoiding lying on your stomach to photograph mushrooms.

Photographing a mushroom sounds more like a K-1 activity to me.

04-17-2022, 02:43 PM - 2 Likes   #137
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Reh, your heaviest lens is about half the weight of the K-3iii. There's not a strong need for balance with the PLM, I've shot it one-handed routinely. Shooting a heavier tele is a different story - you don't want the center of gravity away from the body.
I would support any ‘heavy’ lens with my left hand.
Use of left hand support eliminates ‘center of gravity’ or ‘balance’ issues.

Last edited by reh321; 04-17-2022 at 02:49 PM.
04-18-2022, 01:15 AM   #138
Pentaxian

Let me admit that a flippy screen would be nice to have on K3iii. Overall I prefer the smaller form factor.
K1iii could keep the flippy screen and get some K3iii features, most likely no faster fps, but probably fast AF, new user interface and AF joystick.
But here we should discuss lenses. The 150-450 is the most obvious lens to use with K3iii of the current lineup if you already have K1 and consider the K3iii a TC. A serious APSC system requires a trinity of DA* zooms. With an updated 50-135 life would be perfect even for very demanding users. Overall Pentax is doing very well, covering all K mount bases.
04-18-2022, 01:29 AM - 2 Likes   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Use of left hand support eliminates ‘center of gravity’ or ‘balance’ issues.
It does not. The heavier the lens is compared to the camera, the further away the center of gravity is, which means your left hand has to be further away to avoid a tilting force (which is significantly more uncomfortable). This is not always possible due to the position of the zoom/focus rings.

I've shot many times an old 1.2 kg Tokina 70-210 on the lightweight K-7. It's farmore uncomfortable than shooting the K-1 with an Irix 11mm (same total weight), or even a similarly-heavy lens (so more total weight). It was, in fact, uncomfortable to the point were I straight up do not want long, heavy lenses anymore - I don't need them for my uses (which is also why I wouldn't buy the K-3iii).

There's a reason why a good handful of people always put the battery grip on their lighter cameras.

04-18-2022, 04:08 AM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Let me admit that a flippy screen would be nice to have on K3iii. Overall I prefer the smaller form factor.
K1iii could keep the flippy screen and get some K3iii features, most likely no faster fps, but probably fast AF, new user interface and AF joystick.
But here we should discuss lenses. The 150-450 is the most obvious lens to use with K3iii of the current lineup if you already have K1 and consider the K3iii a TC. A serious APSC system requires a trinity of DA* zooms. With an updated 50-135 life would be perfect even for very demanding users. Overall Pentax is doing very well, covering all K mount bases.
Not having the 150-450, I couldn't comment on its optical or handling characteristics. I do, however, have the Sigma 150-500 with in-lens stabilisation, and it's very helpful on the K-1, and much more so on the K-3iii. The point I'm getting to, here, albeit slightly away from your comments but building on them, is that anything new in either the DA or D-FA line at the long end, should include stabilisation, especially if it's going to carry the * designation.

Of course, if the elusive hybrid viewfinder should ever see the light of day on a Pentax body, I'd have to reconsider the above.
04-18-2022, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
There's a reason why a good handful of people always put the battery grip on their lighter cameras.
To each his own. I have the K-3 Prestige edition in gunmetal that came with a grip. Never been on the camera, in spite of shooting a lot of birds from a boat. Never understood the need for "balancing" cameras; I support the lens with my left hand and the right is around the grip - no need for balance.....
04-18-2022, 06:07 AM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
To each his own. I have the K-3 Prestige edition in gunmetal that came with a grip. Never been on the camera, in spite of shooting a lot of birds from a boat. Never understood the need for "balancing" cameras; I support the lens with my left hand and the right is around the grip - no need for balance.....
Yeah, like I said, I feel more comfortable shooting long/heavy lenses with the K-1 than I did with the K-7. I don't claim that everyone is the same - but my left wrist has paradoxically appreciated a lot the change to a heavier, taller-grip camera (admittedly, more than weight, it might be that I can actually use my whole hand for gripping the K-1).

Interestingly enough, I have never really felt the need for the battery grip when shooting portraits, handling the camera vertically feels pretty natural in my experience. I suppose that might change if the lenses were heavier.

Back on topic, due to... ahem, a situation, my 55-300 PLM seems to have been misplaced. So I do hope the 70-300 PLM is a reality sooner rather than later

04-19-2022, 03:53 AM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I ordered 60-250 for now. Minimum 1,5 months wait, more likely 2 as it is not available in Poland (again), so last minute order to have it for polish airshows. I hope Ricoh will make replacement, I will buy it for sure. All I can now is wait
04-19-2022, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #144
Pentaxian

Well, I ordered 60-250 for now. Minimum 1,5 months wait, more likely 2 as it is not available in Poland (again), so last minute order to have it for polish airshows. I hope Ricoh will make replacement, I will buy it for sure. All I can now is wait
If you're in a hurry, SRS have DA* 60-250 in stock for £1099 inc VAT. Pentax DA* 60-250mm F4 ED IF SDM Lens

Last edited by phoebus; 04-19-2022 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Correction of link
04-19-2022, 06:00 AM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And all the import fees as UK is outside of EU. It is already pretty expensive. But thanks for info
04-19-2022, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #146
Pentaxian

And all the import fees as UK is outside of EU. It is already pretty expensive. But thanks for info
Not sure what fees, other than shipping and local VAT are applicable. If you ask them, I'm sure they'll let you know how much it is. And UK VAT rate of 20% would be removed and Polish rate applied. But agreed, would have easier pre-Brexit: still waiting with bated breath for all the promised benefits of Brexit....
04-19-2022, 07:05 AM   #147
Veteran Member

Hopefully the recent UK trade deal with Japan will start making an effect on the photography goods. I think I've seen some info that there's a couple of years until many items potentially including cameras become duty free... would have to look for the source.
06-07-2022, 02:04 AM   #148
Pentaxian

The news is from the first days of March. This year, no official voice has come out. Okay, last year was a year of fat cows, and even if we have lean days ahead, Pentax knocks a beat!
06-07-2022, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #149
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 70-210/4 is fairly similar and only slightly shorter. It offers faster focusing and feels lighter in the hand. Internal zooming makes the lens more balanced as well. I am not suggesting it’s better or worse, just that as an alternative it could work.
06-09-2022, 02:49 AM   #150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nonpigliounoshoot Quote
The news is from the first days of March. This year, no official voice has come out. Okay, last year was a year of fat cows, and even if we have lean days ahead, Pentax knocks a beat!
I just wrote that and pentax knocked with OGPS2 ..
Closed Thread