Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2022, 01:22 AM - 11 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
March 21 J-Limited Event / Pentax Memorica

Pentax held an event on March 20 in Osaka and March 21 in Tokyo, focused on their J-Limited cameras. Since this was probably the last event they will hold in their Shinjuku showroom, I decided to go. I’m glad I did, because it was quite interesting.

The event was very well attended, with standing room only. I think the organizers themselves were surprised by the number of people who attended. Out of interest, I was looking at what cameras everyone had with them. The most popular models were the K-3 III, the KP J-Limited and the J-Limited 01 (K1 II variant). I actually felt a bit lame for just having my plain old standard model.

The main speakers at the event were TKO and Aniki, the two guys behind the J-Limited sub-brand. Their style of presenting works much better in person than on Zoom, and to be honest, the whole concept of J-Limited is difficult to convey on screen, so a real event is a lot more entertaining.

It was not an event where any new mainstream products would be announced, so don't read on expecting hints about new lenses or the K-1 III or anything like that.

Guest appearances
There were a few unexpected guests. The Ricoh Imaging CEO Noboru Akahane appeared and spoke a few words at the beginning about Pentax’s strategy. The two other guests were photographers Kazuyoshi Yoshimura and Takumichi Seo. The significance of these two is that their custom modes are preinstalled on the J-Limited 01 camera.

Recap of the J-Limited philosophy
TKO has in previous events talked about his design philosophy, which is very far from the functional or minimalist design that is common these days. He has said that he want to make products that people treasure and keep for a long time. He said at one event that when he got his first camera, he would want to pick it up and hold it just for the pleasure of doing so. So J-Limited is partly about luxury feeling items that just look cool, but also about making quality things with passion that people don’t just treat as disposable. How much this philosophy resonates with you will probably dictate what you think of the items they showed.

The J-Limited 01 Project Roses edition
This new version of the K-1 III is a limited edition in Crystal Bordeau finish with rose emblems on the camera, packaging and engraved on the Pink-gold Duratect mount. A few pictures of this have been shown on Ricoh Imaging’s twitter already. This model is a collaboration with the Japanese department store Takashimaya, whose iconic branding on their shopping bags and packaging is roses. If I understood correctly, this model will be available exclusively through Takashimaya.

I already posted some better images from Ricoh's Twitter in this thread.
There's going to be a Pentax J Limited online event soon - Page 21 - PentaxForums.com

Sanada Himo wrist straps
These straps had been shown before but not actually commercialized. They are made using a traditional weaving method, that has been used for centuries.
Apparently, they are very strong but soft and flexible, and have the J-Limited logo on the leather part. They will be available in limited numbers and I can only imagine they will be expensive for what they are.

KP wooden grips
It seems that they have a strong intention to sell wooden grip accessories for the KP for users who want to accessories their standard KPs. Thus far the wooden grips have only been available with the J-lLimited UPs. The grips are not exactly the same ones that came with the KP. I think they are equivalent in quality, but in different colors and with “Pentax” imprinted in them. They could not say they were 100% certain about this, but they seem pretty determined, even though the KP is discontinued. I don’t know if they will ever sell this overseas, but it seems to me that it might be a relatively easy thing too import from Japan if there are any KP users who want to get a taste of this J-Limited customization.

Two new J-Limited 01 colors shown
They don't seem to be confident that these will be released, but they showed Crystal White and Crystal Blue versions of the modified K-1 II. These are the same colours as the K-30, and the cameras did look like slightly bigger K-30s to me. If you find the gold mount of the other models too much, they dark grey mount on these is more subdued. Incidentally, they said that each of the four available colours of the J-Limited 01 are selling in quite equal numbers. The greenish Viridian version is slightly in the lead, which surprised me because I though the metallic one would be the most popular.

Update on the J-Limited 02 (GR III variant)
This was the bad news. They have not made much progress on getting this to market. Parts supply is the problem. They mentioned that they have brushed up the design a bit, but they aren’t confident of when or whether they will be able to release it.

New Era branded clothing
They are expanding their cooperation with the New Era streetwear brand to include more baseball caps, T-shirts and hoodies. A lot of these have old logos from over the years, unclosing the AP cyclops logo, the AOCO mark, the old thin lettering, an 80s era “racing colours” version, and so on. I don’t like branded clothing much, but there were a couple of the designs that were really understated and I really liked.

Pentax Memorica
As usual, they showed some bits of Pentax heritage and trivia. The most interesting was the Pentax Memorica.

After the Pentax SP, the company had two groups working on a successor. One team was working on the “Metalica” and the other on the “Memorica”. The former was selected and the Memorica was shown as a prototype at Photokina 1966 and then never released. It was shutter speed priority, and had some version of a Pentax bayonet mount that predated the K-mount.

They had uncovered the two prototypes from a storeroom and the Metalica was being shown at the Osaka event, while the Memorica was at the Tokyo event, sitting on the table next to the K-1 II models, looking as good as new.

Pentax posted an article in English about this camera a few years ago.
https://pentaxofficial.com/en/2855/

Overall, this was a fun event. They actually showed some things that are likely to go into production and I got a real feeling that Pentax’s following is strong.

03-21-2022, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having the lensmount coated in ceracote or some other durability enhancing material would be nice. I would love to have a wooden grip for my silver KP.
03-21-2022, 08:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice to hear that there are more people interested in Pentax then Ricoh thinks. The whole idea is pretty cool and I think would hit the nail in green Europe if there are some eco-adverts attached to it.

Plus I would not mind wrist strap being available in EU.
03-21-2022, 11:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Any k-3 iii custom models?

03-21-2022, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Any k-3 iii custom models?
There was nothing shown or mentioned about this.

However, it's worth remembering that Pentax is planning to offer special models of the K-3 III via crowdsourcing, and that is nothing to do with J-Limited.

It sounded like if there is a new J-Limited model this year, it would be the GR III derived J-Limited 02 model first.

Pentax Rumors posted images of it from a previous event previously, but apparently, this is not the latest version of it.
New pictures of the Ricoh GR III J limited 02 camera - Pentax Rumors

Unfortunately, they said something about semi-conductor shortages still making it difficult to come out with new products, and that was mentioned when they discussed the 02. I wonder if it'll affect other cameras too.
03-25-2022, 07:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

"Since this was probably the last event they will hold in their Shinjuku showroom..."

Why is that? Have I missed something?

Thanks for the write up.
Couldn't make it myself.
03-25-2022, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
"Since this was probably the last event they will hold in their Shinjuku showroom..."

Why is that? Have I missed something?

(...)
The current Ricoh Imaging Squares in Tokyo and Osaka will close on 28 March 2022.

【リコーイメージングスクエアの改編】
デジタルでお客様とつながる情報発信の場としての機能を強化します。そのため国内でのショールーム、サービス拠点の見直しをおこないます。ご利用いただいているお客さまにはご不便をおかけすることとなり誠に恐縮ですが、現在のリコーイメージングスクエア東京ならびに大阪は、修理受付窓口を除き、ギャラリーとショールームの営業を2022年3月28日(月)で終了いたします。修理受付窓口に関しては、5月末頃まで現在の場所で対応させていただきます(詳細日程は後日お知らせします)。
これまでリコーイメージングスクエアで開講していたリコーフォトアカデミーはオンライン及び他の場所を使用して継続開講します。講座情報については後日お知らせします。
今後、お客様とつながる情報発信の場としての機能を加えつつ、修理受付窓口としてもご活用いただける新拠点を今年の夏頃、東京に新規オープンする予定です。詳細が決定した時点であらためてご案内させていただきます。なお、修理受付窓口のリコーイメージング修理係(東日本・中部・西日本・九州)には変更はございません。修理のご用命は、最寄りの修理係へお持ち込みいただくか、ピックアップリペアサービスをご利用ください。

Source: リコーイメージング新体制の取り組みについて|RICOH IMAGING

03-25-2022, 12:19 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The current Ricoh Imaging Squares in Tokyo and Osaka will close on 28 March 2022.

【リコーイメージングスクエアの改編】
デジタルでお客様とつながる情報発信の場としての機能を強化します。そのため国内でのショールーム、サービス拠点の見直しをおこないます。ご利用いただいているお客さまにはご不便をおかけすることとなり誠に恐縮ですが、現在のリコーイメージングスクエア東京ならびに大阪は、修理受付窓口を除き、ギャラリーとショールームの営業を2022年3月28日(月)で終了いたします。修理受付窓口に関しては、5月末頃まで現在の場所で対応させていただきます(詳細日程は後日お知らせします)。
これまでリコーイメージングスクエアで開講していたリコーフォトアカデミーはオンライン及び他の場所を使用して継続開講します。講座情報については後日お知らせします。
今後、お客様とつながる情報発信の場としての機能を加えつつ、修理受付窓口としてもご活用いただける新拠点を今年の夏頃、東京に新規オープンする予定です。詳細が決定した時点であらためてご案内させていただきます。なお、修理受付窓口のリコーイメージング修理係(東日本・中部・西日本・九州)には変更はございません。修理のご用命は、最寄りの修理係へお持ち込みいただくか、ピックアップリペアサービスをご利用ください。

Source: リコーイメージング新体制の取り組みについて|RICOH IMAGING
Aren't they opening up a new place elsewhere in Tokyo?

I was supposed to go to Tokyo in summer of 2020... drat...

-Eric
03-26-2022, 05:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Mistral75, thanks for that.
I'll try and pop down there tomorrow or last day on Monday.

Looks like the repair centre will remain open until May and then a new Imaging Square will open in the summer somewhere in Tokyo.
03-27-2022, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There is an article on Capa Camera Web about the event with a lot more pictures of the event, including some things I glossed over and photos of the people involved.

??????????????????????? ?????????J limited???????????????? | CAPA CAMERA WEB
03-27-2022, 05:13 PM   #11
Pentaxian

English translation: Custom models in development and phantom prototype unveiled! I went to a real-life 'J limited' fan meeting | CAPA CAMERA WEB
04-05-2022, 08:01 AM - 2 Likes   #12
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
J-Limited 01 + HD DFA 50mm f1.4 + Sanada Himo Strap

As posted on Twitter by the J-Limited designer TKO.
04-05-2022, 08:50 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The design is really bizarre, yet somewhat attractive. I would be worried about the long-term durability of that lacquer-like finish....
04-08-2022, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #14
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Kazutoshi Yoshimura has posted a video of the event in a somewhat condensed form. Even though it's in Japanese, you can get a feel for what kind of event it was and skip through to see the items they exhibited.

Actually, he has been quite careful not to catch the audience in the image. There are privacy concerns with uploading videos of people without permission in Japan. There were actually dozens more in the audience behind him.

04-13-2022, 09:00 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
The design is really bizarre, yet somewhat attractive. I would be worried about the long-term durability of that lacquer-like finish....
My {blue} K-30 body shows less wear than my {back and silver} KP body {3 years newer} does.
I wouldn't worry too much about durability as long as it is treated with the care due any camera.