Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #16
spe

Photos: Gallery
Personally, I'm not sure we can't judge about anything looking to such picture. You can find many things there if you let your imagination to run free , that strange bulb on the lens may even be returned PZ control switch, but supposedly this is just shutter button .

12-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #17

I wouldn't spend too much time trying to guess features on Yvon's photos. Not speaking for him, but I'm sure it's a K20 blacked out.

So my question is this...

If it is the K20D GPS, would you use the feature and how much are you willing to pay for it, considering there are no major upgrades???

I personally have no use for it, but with all of the weather seals and the marketing of that by Pentax, I would think there is a market for it.

Anyone know anything more about the 645D being announced?
12-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote

If it is the K20D GPS, would you use the feature and how much are you willing to pay for it, considering there are no major upgrades???

I personally have no use for it, but with all of the weather seals and the marketing of that by Pentax, I would think there is a market for it.
IF it's implemented properly, i.e. will register location in RAW EXIF file within 10 meters it would cost you about $200 to do the same thing with a stand alone GPS unit. I'd be willing to pay the $200 for the feature just to eliminate the hassle of carrying the handheld GPS.
12-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

No GPS feature needed for me in K20D

I added a K20D 5 weeks ago and I really like it.

I'd guess if K20D GPS body is the mystery announcement then K20D will likely drop from system and then the only way to get a Samsung made Cmos sensor K Mount will be the GPS K20D unless k20D will fill in the void K200D is creating. As K20D first launched at $1299 then this would be a good reference for new GPS body. If so then its a $500 premium or $700 premium feature if you buy K20D out of Canada today. K200D is still removed from Japanese Language section of pentax japan website so its been discontinued in home market.

I wouldn't spend too much time trying to guess features on Yvon's photos. Not speaking for him, but I'm sure it's a K20 blacked out.

Anyone know anything more about the 645D being announced?

12-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #20
ibk
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote
The total absence of news makes us dream on a better solution for our future, maybe is just a new p&S. I hope not!
No, it's not a P&S and it shows the future of Pentax... in a way.
It definitely fall in line with their new tagline - BE INTERESTING
12-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ibk Quote
It's something very beautiful!
I know it's nothing, but this is the most I can tell you.
Like the K-m with Swarowski crystals?! Oh no, that one was... hm, well... rather special looking, to put it politely. ::ugh:
12-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
IF it's implemented properly, i.e. will register location in RAW EXIF file within 10 meters it would cost you about $200 to do the same thing with a stand alone GPS unit. I'd be willing to pay the $200 for the feature just to eliminate the hassle of carrying the handheld GPS.
The manual says that the gps in the N***n P6000 P&S could be off by hundreds of meters depending on location etc.

12-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The manual says that the gps in the N***n P6000 P&S could be off by hundreds of meters depending on location etc.
Isn't that special. Now what does that have to do with the Pentax?
12-14-2008, 02:27 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Isn't that special. Now what does that have to do with the Pentax?
You were tauting about other manufacturers making P&S with GPS in another thread and that the small gps chips could be put into the k20d without increasing its size. And you are posting in this thread that you want it with 10 meter resolution also. That's all. Pentax could do a better gps unit in a grip based model that could come closer to 10 meters.
12-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
GPS when not as good as real good seperate receivers will always be less reliable but 100 meters isn't acceptable to me indeed.

That said, if only 3 satellites on the sky, there's no wonder, ever ...
12-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

You were tauting about other manufacturers making P&S with GPS in another thread and that the small gps chips could be put into the k20d without increasing its size. And you are posting in this thread that you want it with 10 meter resolution also. That's all. Pentax could do a better gps unit in a grip based model that could come closer to 10 meters.
I think we should agree to disagree. My position is simply this. IMO Pentax can put a GPS unit in the body that has 10 meters accuracy without increasing the body size and charge less than $200 for it. If for any reason they can't do all of these things I won't buy it. If they can I will stretch my budget to buy it.
12-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wish, if there is indeed a GPS option is to have it in the grip. I don't see a GPS taking much space, I have one in my tiny Blackberry.
12-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would welcome the feature only if it didn't add a cent to the current street price nor an additional gram to the camera's weight; i.e. it would be way down on my wish list. However, I can see where some would find it invaluable - particularly those that shoot away from easily identifiable landmarks.

Still, I'd rather Pentax spend development time on more fundamental issues - like developing a competitive AF system that works with my DA and FA lenses.

There is a new K20D, in a closet under my wife's custody, that I'll be getting on Christmas morning. If the announcement on Tuesday (assuming there is one) indicates a profound upgrade - I've still got time to send it back. Seems doubtful to me - if Pentax is concerned with the NA market, December 16 is a pretty weird time to introduce an important new product. But, hey, Pentax thinking has always been sort of "orthogonal" (not a bad thing, actually), so who knows?

Jer
12-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Seems doubtful to me - if Pentax is concerned with the NA market, December 16 is a pretty weird time to introduce an important new product. But, hey, Pentax thinking has always been sort of "orthogonal" (not a bad thing, actually), so who knows?
Maybe Japaneses are not that much concerned with christmas as we are? Or simply the new product is the 645D and this kind of product is not affected by christmas sales.
12-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
"orthogonal"

Jer
That sent me running to the online dictionary, LOL. I'll take door B or C.