Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2008, 05:25 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Don't think Pentax can make another new camera in such a short time.
I'm thinking this camera's been in the warehouses for some time. With the recent lower prices on the K20d and K200d, I believe that Pentax/Hoya did not want to kill sales on them completely until stocking levels were at a certain point. It was probably slated for late January regardless, but had higher-than-normal sales with MS-Live, etc... and stock levels went down. This could be why they had this blindsided announcement without regard to the X-Mas shopping season.

-Brian

12-15-2008, 06:13 AM   #47

omg, omg, im gonna have problems sleeping tonight
12-15-2008, 06:16 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Wow I wonder how interesting it's gonna be

Micro-k mount would be so awesome!
12-15-2008, 06:33 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's going to be the KQuantumD. With a single actuation of the shutter it will capture all points in space and time throughout the universe.

12-15-2008, 06:39 AM   #50
Forum Member

I wouldn't set my expectations too high for this one. From the mysterious silhouette image it looks just like a K-m to me. I would guess it might be a K-m (K2000) in white or silver, with a DAL kit lens of the similar color.

Any more significant product announcements would probably have to wait till PMA 2009.

Peter
12-15-2008, 07:03 AM   #51
Forum Member

I hope there's no GPS nonsense. Big drain on battery and definitely not a deal breaker
12-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noel Quote
I hope there's no GPS nonsense. Big drain on battery and definitely not a deal breaker
Wrong. Not having a GPS is a deal breaker. It would be nonsense to go for an outdoor market segment with weatherproof products and not take advantage of recent developments in GPS tech.

12-15-2008, 07:22 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by denisv Quote
The whole point of a DSLR is responsiveness. How does GPS figure into that? I turn on my camera and it's on in 0.2s, then I sit down and wait a minute for the GPS to lock onto satellites before snapping a few pictures and moving on? And why exactly do I want GPS coordinates of where I took my pictures anyway? Seems like an utterly useless feature.
The new chips are way faster than that and are not bothered by tree canopies and so on and are also more accurate.

Here's one example on start-up times:
InstantFixII from SiRF promises 5 seconds start-up time -- NaviGadget

Useless? Perhaps so if your shooting is limited to your own lawn and the park down the road. Believe it or not, there's many among us who actually go to places, even venture in the great outdoors to take pictures. That's where GPS comes in real handy. I've missed it countless times.
12-15-2008, 07:23 AM   #54
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
Wrong. Not having a GPS is a deal breaker. It would be nonsense to go for an outdoor market segment with weatherproof products and not take advantage of recent developments in GPS tech.
Agreed. I'm waiting for that one thing to get me to upgrade my K10D. I've brought along a GPS on several trips, and it's a pain to coordinate the time on the GPS with the camera and merge the data.

I would LOVE this feature.
12-15-2008, 07:34 AM   #55
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Maybe it'll be a K20 with an M42 mount. Then those of us with a collection of them will be sitting pretty as the prices for 'old glass' go through the roof.
That couples like "A" series lens, that would be awesome.
12-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noel Quote
Haha unless it has the kind of GPS build-in which can show me the way and with the map of the whole world installed and upgradable.
12-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Haha unless it has the kind of GPS build-in which can show me the way and with the map of the whole world installed and upgradable.
Lol imagine people driving around with dSLR's stuck to their car windshields that tell them to turn left in 300 yards.
12-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #58
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
Useless? Perhaps so if your shooting is limited to your own lawn and the park down the road. Believe it or not, there's many among us who actually go to places, even venture in the great outdoors to take pictures. That's where GPS comes in real handy. I've missed it countless times.
GPS is great. I always keep my handheld Garmin with me when I'm off to remote and unfamiliar environments (including urban jungles). It works 48h on 2 AA batteries, is small, light, has a rugged rubber exterior, bright screen and intuitive controls, is reasonably waterproof, and most importantly, it has a 2GB sd card filled with very detailed topo maps. It's a dedicated GPS and it does its job very, very well. A GPS on a camera couldn't come close to its usability.

Moreover, I usually have a very good idea of where I took a photo. I've never browsed though my photos and thought "hmm, I can't remember exactly I took this. My life would be enriched ten-fold if I did."

If I wanted GPS coordinates of my photos I would just create a waypoint (two button presses) for every spot I shot from. Alternatively, I can tell my GPS to plot a path as I walk and transfer it onto my computer later and figure out where I shot what with very reasonable accuracy.

GPS on a DSLR seems about as useful as having GPS in my coffee cup, so I always know where I drank my coffee.
12-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by denisv Quote
GPS is great. I always keep my handheld Garmin with me when I'm off to remote and unfamiliar environments (including urban jungles). It works 48h on 2 AA batteries, is small, light, has a rugged rubber exterior, bright screen and intuitive controls, is reasonably waterproof, and most importantly, it has a 2GB sd card filled with very detailed topo maps. It's a dedicated GPS and it does its job very, very well. A GPS on a camera couldn't come close to its usability.

Moreover, I usually have a very good idea of where I took a photo. I've never browsed though my photos and thought "hmm, I can't remember exactly I took this. My life would be enriched ten-fold if I did."

If I wanted GPS coordinates of my photos I would just create a waypoint (two button presses) for every spot I shot from. Alternatively, I can tell my GPS to plot a path as I walk and transfer it onto my computer later and figure out where I shot what with very reasonable accuracy.

GPS on a DSLR seems about as useful as having GPS in my coffee cup, so I always know where I drank my coffee.
I don't need GPS for orienteering. In fact, I'd advise strongly against that as a practise. One needs to be able to read a manual map and preferably to be able to cope without a compass.

What I do need is those damn coordinates for my photos. Nothing more, nothing less. An accuracy of 20-30m is fine. But I DON'T want to carry another gadget to do that (already more than enough to carry on most trips) and I DON'T want to spend time fiddling around with another computer program to get the pics on a map.
12-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'll vote for one of those:

* Pentax joins micro 4:3
* new Pentax mount
* 645D
* aperture coupler back