Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adding to the rumors.....

GPS-enabled Pentax K20D DSLR imminent? - SlashGear
Rumors are circulating that Pentax are preparing to announce a GPS-enabled version of their K20D DSLR. Greek site FullHD have published details from what they claim to be a leaked press release, officially expected later on today; the K20D is a 14.6-megapixel waterproof camera and, with the GPS accessory, would be able to automatically geotag each image taken.

12-16-2008, 10:52 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Incredible....

Seeing that warp drive has yet to be invented... that's very impressive.

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
It's going to be the KQuantumD. With a single actuation of the shutter it will capture all points in space and time throughout the universe.
12-16-2008, 10:55 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Don't think it will be anything groundbreaking...but I would love to be horribly wrong.
12-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #124
Veteran Member

I saw something weird on for a few minutes at dpreview, but it has been taken down: a white-body K-m/2000 with matching lenses (kit and 50-200), and a little game to learn how to use the camera to go with it. Stupid enough to be real.

12-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slomojoe Quote
I saw something weird on for a few minutes at dpreview, but it has been taken down: a white-body K-m/2000 with matching lenses (kit and 50-200), and a little game to learn how to use the camera to go with it. Stupid enough to be real.

an iK2000. I can't wait to plug some ear buds into the shutter release.

Last edited by konraDarnok; 12-16-2008 at 11:46 AM.
12-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slomojoe Quote
So recently we've seen:
Sony releasing a FF 24MP camera
Nikon announcing the D3X
Canon release the 5d Mk II

And we... get a white budget camera.

I think I'd preferred the weather sealed Limited lens case.
12-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ibk Quote
It's something very beautiful!
I know it's nothing, but this is the most I can tell you.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder I guess.

12-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
Don't think it will be anything groundbreaking...but I would love to be horribly wrong.
Sorry, but you were horribly right!
12-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #129
Veteran Member

No, it's not a P&S and it shows the future of Pentax... in a way.
It definitely fall in line with their new tagline - BE INTERESTING
OK... now you have to explain this a bit further...

I can definitely see the "be interesting" part: these white editions are quite... interesting indeed

But for what it reveals of the future of Pentax... I am not sure I really want to know...

Hopefully we're not in for some endless declinations of cosmetics variations ala videogames consoles...
12-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #130
ibk
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
OK... now you have to explain this a bit further...

I can definitely see the "be interesting" part: these white editions are quite... interesting indeed

But for what it reveals of the future of Pentax... I am not sure I really want to know...

Hopefully we're not in for some endless declinations of cosmetics variations ala videogames consoles...
Well, I'll try as I don't have any explanation. It's more like a general feeling about the company.

Till now Pentax did their job of making superb DSLRs, but their marketing was not at the same level as their cameras.
Until now. Now I see that they are trying to hit two birds with one rock - advertising the new one (K-m white) and the "old" one (K-m) at the same time.
May be it's because of Hoya... I don't know, but their marketing starts to work.
Same about the timing - becomes a pattern - 2 months before release - announcement.
K-m white, December - on the streets February.
K30, K300 announced at PMA - on the streets May (probably)

I call that perfect planning to have Pentax in the news as long as possible.

And just because they announce a cosmetic color changed model doesn't mean they are not working very hard on the inside (and I know for certain they are).

Pentax are a different company. Now they are showing it more aggressively.
12-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Well, I'll try as I don't have any explanation. It's more like a general feeling about the company.

Till now Pentax did their job of making superb DSLRs, but their marketing was not at the same level as their cameras.
Until now. Now I see that they are trying to hit two birds with one rock - advertising the new one (K-m white) and the "old" one (K-m) at the same time.
May be it's because of Hoya... I don't know, but their marketing starts to work.
Same about the timing - becomes a pattern - 2 months before release - announcement.
K-m white, December - on the streets February.
K30, K300 announced at PMA - on the streets May (probably)

I call that perfect planning to have Pentax in the news as long as possible.

And just because they announce a cosmetic color changed model doesn't mean they are not working very hard on the inside (and I know for certain they are).

Pentax are a different company. Now they are showing it more aggressively.
OK then, we have seen the outside, let's wait for may to see what's on the inside!
12-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #132
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I all can say about a special edition white K-m is holy sh!t. If it had been a k20d or even k200d, they could have sold it as a snow camera (weather sealed).

Edit: I guess it won't heat up in the sun as bad as a black body. These L lens have to be the biggest joke since FA J lenses.
12-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #133
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh well... just goes to show you how worthless these rumors are. So much for automatic geotags! All this goes to prove is that "Pentax is not in the black!"
12-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #134
Veteran Member

A White Flagship Model?

Not what I was hoping for but certainly in line with the direction Pentax seems to be going. They offer a tremendous bang for the beginner to advanced amateur buck if that is as far as you want to go but it's another white flag for me too. I'm starting to accept that it's unreasonable to expect them to try and keep photographers in their target market who plan to grow beyond that.
12-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #135
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Everything about the white k2000d is on dpreview.com now