Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Aimed for the growing group of women buying into dslr this could be a smart move.
From interviews with the designers it is clear that the K2000/K-m is geared toward the fairer sex. They are very forthcoming in their interviews and do not hide the fact that it was designed from the ground up to appeal to women.

And let's remember that white is classy and goes with everything.

That's what my wife says

12-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cant see why all the hassle. If one likes it they buy it. If not, they dont.
It will appeal to some no doubt, so caters for some part of the market.

I definitely wouldn't buy it. After all, I dont have to worry about losing it in the snow, or camouflaging it etc. Snow is something I only read about, or see in you northerners great pictures..

Oh well. we will see what 2009 holds in store
12-16-2008, 05:51 PM   #78
Veteran Member

What a joke.
12-16-2008, 06:21 PM   #79

Now if Ford had just stuck to painting cars black maybe they would still be in the black. Sarcasm if you missed it. Maybe I'm missing something but the P&S models, laptops, etc have used color as part of their sales approach. Why not SLRs?

When folks ask what type of SLR camera to buy - I tell them Pentax. Why? I compare them to Apple. Because they focus on innovation like vibration reduction, dust reduction, compatibility with old lenses, build them to last, if my old K1000 is anything to go by, and the K20 and K200 comments on the forum.....etc. My grandfather once said nobody should ever own any gun but a single shot rifle - because you learn how to use it properly. Kind of makes me think that fps is a poor excuse for not working at being a better photographer. Sure I look forward to improved autofocus and fps but not a big show stopper. I would just like to see the prices a little more competitive. I think the economy and xmas sales will bring on some great deals in Feb 09.

Lead, follow, or get out of way. Well done Pentax. Look forward to seeing the sales results of your marketing research. So much for pulling the trigger on a black K-m. How long before C&N copy Pentax and come out with new color models?

Born and raised on a "single shot" K1000. Ken.

12-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
The idea of funky colors in Pentax cameras goes back a long time. I recall a gold (?) LX with brown leather - truly hideous (makes the white K2000 look tasteful). I'm pretty sure I remember some ME-Super models with "unusual" colors, as well.

So this is nothing new nor was it ever a "big deal" - we turned it into that ourselves. I'm data driven, and in the two or three threads on this nonevent, I found not one shred of evidence supporting the introduction a major new Pentax camera. On the contrary, the only poster (largely ignored) professing knowledge of the announcement clearly indicated it to be a minor blip in the baseline.

But beyond the data (or lack thereof), the proposition that any company (even Pentax) would launch a completely unheralded, important new camera nine days before Christmas was patently unreasonable from the beginning. It would be as stupid as giving someone with a 50 grand-a-year income a no-money-down balloon mortgage on a $450,000 house, and who would do that?

Jer
The gold cameras were only made as commemorative pieces to mark landmarks in Pentax sales (5 million cameras sold, etc.)

They were pretty freakin' ugly though.

But I think that the white K-m actually looks great. (I'm 17/male if that makes a difference.)
12-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #81
Veteran Member

I definitely want one.

I don't recall anyone making a white DSLR so I think this is a clever idea on the part of Pentax. White is definitely better than the cheesy silver metallic plastic in previous Pentax SLRs. After all isn't the Pentax K-m supposed to embody fun and simplicity in line with the "Be Interesting" slogan?

Don't know why people seem to be up in arms about this announcement but I guess it is perhaps time for purists and traditionalists who find it hard to conceive a camera to be anything but black to have an open mind with a white camera.

Eneloop batteries are white, my iMacs are white, my Wii is white, so is my washing machine and fridge... so many items are already designed in white.
12-16-2008, 06:57 PM   #82
Veteran Member

If I get one I will for sure design and draw on it, it will be a truely unique camera It will be like another Designer toy for me, or a pair of custom design sneakers.

And I really want to remind everyone that noone said it is a big announcement, we all know that the big announcement will happen in 2009. So just take this in the fun way, and move on.
12-16-2008, 07:06 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Sorry, I find it really odd-looking and out of place with the black lenses (even more so than the silver Limited lenses on a black body).

12-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Just like white shoes, this thing is going to get very dirty.
12-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #85
Site Supporter

In another thread said it was doubtful Pentax knew who they were any more. Exhibit A. At least my worthless distributors won't carry this version of the K2000 either! They probably will.
If you think white made the Nintendo Wii, what happened to the Sega Saturn? It did real well. Real well.
Have no real problem with white camera. Do have problem with it being built up as something special.
Actually Olympus did this years ago for the military. They made OM3 (maybe OM4 - can't remember) for desert use because the black cameras were baking in the sun & the lcds quit. So the new camera isn't a girly cam!
Guess I didn't understand the niche market part of the plan. But these are the same people that brought you *ist! They couldn't pass my college marketing class.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #13 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #14. Any brand camera. Any color camera. Enter now!
12-16-2008, 07:51 PM   #86
Veteran Member

This announcement wasn't quite what I had hoped it would be, but I'm going to try and keep an open mind. If white will draw new users to the fold, then so be it. I'll be really curious to see how well it does. Personally, I wouldn't go for white because I'd have to be constantly wiping the dirt off.

One of the first things that I thought about when I first saw this camera was one of my cats, as the color scheme would perfectly coordinate with her (she's black and white).

On the subject of color coordination, perhaps Vera Bradley could come out with a black and white color pattern for their purses that would match the white K2000.

Heather
12-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #87
Site Supporter

Good move Pentax! Some people want to know when their camera is dirty! I believe this will appeal to many people. Makes me want to get a wet wipe and clean my cameras now.

My thirteen year old son likes it, he thinks it's awesome... I'll bet kids and young people all over the world will like it. Heck, I like it. What a way to get the younger generation interested in slr photography.

I seriously can't believe some people here are bashing Pentax for this. You want Pentax to have a larger market share, yet leave negative posts for potential buyers to find while researching their decision.

I love my Pentax cameras! Go Pentax!
12-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #88
Inactive Account

Hmmm,
The verdict is out for me if I like it or not, it does look cool but do I want a camera where I have to wash my hands after every shot I make so it won't show any signs of what I ate during a wedding,birthday or Christmas party?. I have white plastic dishes and they stain very easily and it doesn't come out. Panny has a DSLR available in Red and Blue, that's perhaps OK but white is just tougher to keep sparkling clean IMHO.

Barry
12-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #89
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
Just like white shoes, this thing is going to get very dirty.
I was just wondering what that camera would look like after a year when I was still a smoker.

I don't see what people are going ape shit for. It's a damn nice looking camera.
12-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #90
Inactive Account

It's different. I like it.

c[_]