Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #16
Inactive Account

compared with the black one the white looks far more pro, want one

12-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm just thankful it's not jewel encrusted or chromified/blingified :-)

Would iPod people really want matching cameras??? :-P
12-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ibbe Quote
compared with the black one the white looks far more pro, want one
It's not a bad looking camera.

It's definitely an attempt to get SLRs into the metro-chic market that's dominated by glossy colored point and shoots.

I keep thinking about Pentax compared to the other companies. They're aiming to be the top of the boutique market -- while Nikon, Canon, and Sony divide up the same pie 3 different ways.

All the people wishing Pentax would be king of the hill in the technical market aren't realistic in MHO. There will be no full frame camera. There's no market to expand there -- it's just the same people.

If this camera does well, expect a whole line of colored and slicker cameras.

Tho, I don't think the market is right for this now. They should have done this 5 years ago -- when people were less concerned with their disposable income.
12-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slomojoe Quote
Not good for candids. Makes them self-conscious.

Use one of the pancakes instead, unobtrusive and pair well with eggs.

Actually, they really should have marketed this with a line of white DA limiteds. Compact, trendy, and slick.

Expect a write up on Boing Boing gadgets. That's got to be the target demographic for this sort of thing.

12-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's totally the Nintendo way, where Wii was outselling Xbox and PS3, by going for the user didn't usually play games before.

But I don't know if that can apply to SLR tho. We saw the LUMIX DMC-G1 with red, blue and stuff... but it looks.. well different of course..

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
It's not a bad looking camera.

It's definitely an attempt to get SLRs into the metro-chic market that's dominated by glossy colored point and shoots.

I keep thinking about Pentax compared to the other companies. They're aiming to be the top of the boutique market -- while Nikon, Canon, and Sony divide up the same pie 3 different ways.

All the people wishing Pentax would be king of the hill in the technical market aren't realistic in MHO. There will be no full frame camera. There's no market to expand there -- it's just the same people.

Tho, I don't think the market is right for this now. They should have done this 5 years ago -- when people were less concerned with their disposable income.
12-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #21
Veteran Member

bigger is better

12-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote

sure, now it's enough playing and time to make a proper model,I hope

12-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Because nothing says "high class" like cheap white plastic...
12-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
That's totally the Nintendo way, where Wii was outselling Xbox and PS3, by going for the user didn't usually play games before.

But I don't know if that can apply to SLR tho. We saw the LUMIX DMC-G1 with red, blue and stuff... but it looks.. well different of course..
But Nintendo had a genuine technological innovation to sell. They could have made the Wii totally black like the PS consoles, and they still would have sold it (though white helped differentiate it). Here it's just a gimmick.

Anyway, if they think it may help to sell some cameras they would not have sold otherwise, that's their business. I guess Pentax has a history of this kind of marketing approach, with the gold LX and others.
12-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, it couldn't have been a bigger let down than this.

Hopefully they have some real news in early 2009.
12-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slomojoe Quote
But Nintendo had a genuine technological innovation to sell. They could have made the Wii totally black like the PS consoles, and they still would have sold it (though white helped differentiate it). Here it's just a gimmick.

Anyway, if they think it may help to sell some cameras they would not have sold otherwise, that's their business. I guess Pentax has a history of this kind of marketing approach, with the gold LX and others.
Well, The K2000 is a superior camera to the other 'walmart' cameras marketed by Canon and Nikon. Now if they can just get this thing into Walmart. :ugh:

I must say, this camera has no personal appeal for me. I bought a Pentax for the most bang for the buck, and at the time, the K10D I bought cost 1/3 less than anything else with a similar feature set.

But no manufacturer wants to cater to cheapskates like me. That's just not a profitable place to be.
12-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #27
Inactive Account

I don't mind if they appeal to other markets, but I bought Pentax for IQ, $$$ and lenses. If they begin to focus on Walmart and forget advanced/professional photographers, I am going to be highly disappointed. Sure, my K20D is fantastic now, but in 3 years it will not compare to the Canon/Nikon cameras.

Jeremy
12-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #28
Forum Member

Thats it?? Darn, why did I bother waking up! It reminds me too much of the 80s, ala miami vice... and thats not cool.

This is quite deflating news...
12-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I guess they outdid Canon on this one.
12-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
It makes me think of the...

...imperial stormtroopers in Starwars. Perhaps Dart Wader will equip his troopers with the K-2000 in the next movie? That would be a good order for Pentax.

But seriously, now I'm just waiting for the Pentax-red version...and I think there might be a market for this (but what do I know about such things...nothing).