Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2008, 01:00 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
But seriously, now I'm just waiting for the Pentax-red version...and I think there might be a market for this (but what do I know about such things...nothing).
Hahaha Why? you want to be the Imperial Guard stand beside the Emperor ?

Anyways I am back to my waiting mode and set my alarm clock to 2009 Q2 then

12-16-2008, 01:00 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Wow, that is totally cool. I would seriously consider getting this, even a K20D. For one thing, it would keep the camera a lot cooler out in the sun.
12-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeremy_c Quote
I don't mind if they appeal to other markets, but I bought Pentax for IQ, $$$ and lenses. If they begin to focus on Walmart and forget advanced/professional photographers, I am going to be highly disappointed. Sure, my K20D is fantastic now, but in 3 years it will not compare to the Canon/Nikon cameras.

Jeremy
Using the previous Wii analogy, it wouldn't have went anywhere if the games weren't fun.

Pentax would be awfully foolish to neglect solid technical attributes.

But I'd bet a shiny nickel that Canon makes most of its profits on Digital Rebel XTi extreme super digital III stuff they sell to the consuming public.

It's no accident that 90% of the shots on flicker are shot on the above Canon Hyperbole that doesn't even have spot metering. (or at least it didn't use to) And the kit lenses they market are pretty sad things compared to what the K2000 comes with.

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/

Anyhow, this is what I was thinking the other day. Canon's L IS 300mm f/4 glass costs about the same as Pentax's DA* 300mm. Despite the fact that Canon's lens contains way more gizmos and R&D.

I'll bet Canon's top of the line stuff is barely profitable. Think Takumar selling lenses in the 60s below cost to under cut the other top competitor Zeiss.

The overhead has got to much lower for Pentax's simpler to build lenses (in emerging markets like Vietnam no less)-- the profit margins have to be higher.

I'm no expert on Cameras or Marketing, but to me this is the narrative that's playing out.

Just thinking out loud (in text) .
12-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #34
Veteran Member

At least it would potentially look good with an FA* 600/4 attached

12-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Is this one of the three new DSLR's?

Hope none of you that are so sure there will be 3 new DSLR's in 09 try to count this joke as one of them. Also hope their new slogan, "be interesting" has more behind it than this ridiculous idea.
12-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #36

Just because Pentax cares about the shell, doesn't mean they neglect the technical aspect. Technicaly the K-m is already the best entry level DSLR. But Pentax is not considered fancy and has difficulties to attract the attention of laymen. If this helps them to make a lot of money, they won't need too much of it to develop new colours, but will surely reinvest it in new technology. It is much more sustainable if R&D is payed by Pentax sales than by Hoya's cash.
12-16-2008, 01:22 PM   #37

pentax stormtrooper

Love the stormtrooper analogy in the earlier post, it's right on the button.

I'm not ashamed, but I think the camera is going to go down as a design classic, as long as the plastic feels heavy and solid, and not creaky like the canon 4xx line. I held a Panny G1 today and the feel of the rubberised plastic was almost pervy it was so nice, and felt really solid and quality, lets hope the pentax is the same.

I was going to get a KM anyway, now it's deffo the white one

12-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #38
Veteran Member

To be honest this pretty much looks like a film *ist that someone dropped in a vat of bleach
12-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #39
Veteran Member

White "L" series lens. Extra "L" means plastic mount

I haven't handled this or the other new plastic mount pentax lens. I am not a fan of plastic mounts replacing metal ones on "budget" lenses.

Concerning 300mm f4 IS L Canon, I added one last week after thinking about it since Feb 08. Its $1,069 w/ free delivery thesedays via B&H ,so a bit more money than 300/4 SDM can be obtained for out of Canada. As I thought, image wise 300mm f4L IS is great on full frame dslr. Image Stabilized for both hand held and mode2 for panning work real well and I love the classic slip out with screw-out lock in place metal hood versus the plastic bayonet type 300/4 SDM. Canon is not weathersealed whereas 300/4 Pentax version is.

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Using the previous Wii analogy, it wouldn't have went anywhere if the games weren't fun.

Pentax would be awfully foolish to neglect solid technical attributes.

But I'd bet a shiny nickel that Canon makes most of its profits on Digital Rebel XTi extreme super digital III stuff they sell to the consuming public.

It's no accident that 90% of the shots on flicker are shot on the above Canon Hyperbole that doesn't even have spot metering. (or at least it didn't use to) And the kit lenses they market are pretty sad things compared to what the K2000 comes with.

Flickr: Camera Finder

Anyhow, this is what I was thinking the other day. Canon's L IS 300mm f/4 glass costs about the same as Pentax's DA* 300mm. Despite the fact that Canon's lens contains way more gizmos and R&D.

I'll bet Canon's top of the line stuff is barely profitable. Think Takumar selling lenses in the 60s below cost to under cut the other top competitor Zeiss.

The overhead has got to much lower for Pentax's simpler to build lenses (in emerging markets like Vietnam no less)-- the profit margins have to be higher.

I'm no expert on Cameras or Marketing, but to me this is the narrative that's playing out.

Just thinking out loud (in text) .
12-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Wow, that is totally cool. I would seriously consider getting this, even a K20D. For one thing, it would keep the camera a lot cooler out in the sun.
Yeah sure, but do not ever think of dropping it/ setting it down in snow, you will never find it again ;-)

I like my black bodies... they stand out against the snow... and if they generate any extra heat it is an advantage for my shooting conditions
12-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Roberts Quote
White k2000/Km was announced today
Yay!!

...?

Oh wait, I can't mount my white lens on it!!

Oh... then I change my position to: crap!

Still waiting for a Pentax with better AF... until then I'll still use ugly white lenses on black bodies instead of black lenses on ugly white bodies...
12-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #42

No GPS, but if you get lost in the woods you can always wave it in the air so the search planes can see the reflections of the sun off of it and direct the rescue crew to you.
12-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #43

If this is the "big" announcement, Pentax really laid on egg!!

I thought it wasn't to be announced until 5 EST??
12-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #44

Not that I can see myself picking one up, but that is not a bad looking camera. It's better than silver at any rate.

I really hope this is a result of Hoya stepping up their marketing research and that it sells like hotcakes.

Who knows, maybe it isn't too late to jump on the iPod white bandwagon.
12-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #45

Eeeeeeeeeew!