Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2008, 07:58 AM   #121
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Considering the target users of the K-m/K2000, it is perfectly in line with their strategy.
A woman concerned about style is not going to be shopping for her first DSLR online at B&H or Adorama. They are going to be shopping for their first DSLR at Walmart, Target, Best Buy, possibly a local camera store like Ritz (who doesn't stock Pentax). There, they will see Canon/Nikon and buy. To hit this supposed niche market, they need to 1. Make it a normal edition (i.e. you can get the K2000 in either Black or White) all the time for the same price, 2. Get it placed in Walmart, Target, Best Buy. If they do not do that, they have done nothing that will gain them any market share.

Jeremy

12-17-2008, 08:07 AM   #122
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Sure, my K20D is fantastic now, but in 3 years it will not compare to the Canon/Nikon cameras.
why should it have to? this statement makes no sense. and besides this in no way shows that pentax is more focused on first time buyers over the more advanced, it only shows that they want to bring in more customers. and they are attempting to do so by offering something new. I think a lot of you people fail to realize what a huge impact something as small as a color change can have, especially when white is currently a hot color for electronics and other gadgets. as usual the majority look far to much into things and make all sorts of unfounded assumptions, getting your panties in a twist. lets all be big girls now, and try to appreciate it and more importantly understand what pentax is doing. for those that have no idea what the K-m/K2000 is all about, and who its marketed for, please refer to this site. PENTAX K-m SPECIAL SITE / Report Hal look at that and tell me the white doesn't make sense.
12-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #123
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
why should it have to? this statement makes no sense. and besides this in no way shows that pentax is more focused on first time buyers over the more advanced, it only shows that they want to bring in more customers. and they are attempting to do so by offering something new. I think a lot of you people fail to realize what a huge impact something as small as a color change can have...
That quote was taken out of context a bit. The whole quote is "If they begin to focus on Walmart and forget advanced/professional photographers, I am going to be highly disappointed. Sure, my K20D is fantastic now, but in 3 years it will not compare to the Canon/Nikon cameras."

I was voicing a slight concern, not knocking going into new markets, attracting new cutomer base, etc... I for one am for new modern colors, getting more people involved.

The thing that concerns me is I do not thing this white K2000 is going to do a single thing. It's a limited edition (more $$$ and only available in very small numbers) and it's only going to be available on normal photographer outlets (Adorama, B&H, etc...).

The market that everyone says this camera is for, it will not reach! Why doesn't anyone see that? A chic woman who wants a DSLR and thinks this white camera is cool will never see it or know it exists! The reason? It's not in Walmart or Target, where she will be shopping for one. She is not going to be going online, researching the market, looking at professional photography stores such as Adorama and B&H.

Besdies, being a limited edition, how much market share can they take, even if *every single woman who could* bought one?

Jeremy
12-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #124
Inactive Account

I'll finish up with my personal Pentax story. I am a new Pentax owner. I've never owned anything Pentax until about 2 months ago. I am a technical/well informed buyer. I did tons of research online before ever going out of my door to look at anything. I originally decided on a Sony because my brother is a big time Minolta (now Sony) user and has all kinds of gear. So, I went to the local Best Buy type stores and then camera stores. Everywhere, I saw Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras. I compared prices, looked at how supportive the store was/wasn't, etc...

In all the stores I voiced my view that the Pentax was better IQ and all around better camera, what do you think about Pentax? Every single person I talked to said "Do not buy Pentax." There was not one exception! Even stores that had Pentax P&S cameras said "Do not buy Pentax."

I wound up buying a Pentax after owning a Sony A300 for a short period in time and comparing it to the K20D manual online that I had, sample RAW files I found, etc... Local camera stores have a great 10 day return policy. I took them up on that deal and then purchased my K20D from B&H.

Until the camera stores, the Best Buys, Targets and Walmarts start carrying Pentax, I think we will not get very far in market share. A white K2000 or not. In fact, I think the White K2000 is a waste of time *until* Pentax is in Walmart/Target/Best Buy. *Then* I think the White K2000 is an *awesome* idea. Prior to that point? Useless.

Jeremy

12-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #125
Pentaxian

Come on, we know more advanced cameras will be launched next year. Why are you talking like this will (could) be the last Pentax camera ever made?
Or, do you think they should make a huuuuge number of those, then flood the market - even sell under cost if they have to? Nope, they can't do that - they're not Sony. But if the white K-m is successful, we may see more things on the same line. Which will not be the end of black, powerful, feature rich DSLRs that we all love and use
Btw, afaik both Japan and Europe don't have Wallmart nor Target
12-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #126
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Come on, we know more advanced cameras will be launched next year. Why are you talking like this will (could) be the last Pentax camera ever made?
Or, do you think they should make a huuuuge number of those, then flood the market - even sell under cost if they have to? Nope, they can't do that - they're not Sony. But if the white K-m is successful, we may see more things on the same line. Which will not be the end of black, powerful, feature rich DSLRs that we all love and use
I am just speaking to everyone making mention Pentax is trying to fill their niche market with camera's like this.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Btw, afaik both Japan and Europe don't have Wallmart nor Target
I am sure they have their equivalents.

Jeremy
12-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #127
Banned

out of context or not, the statement still makes no sense, why should your k20D have to compare to canon/nikon offerings 3 years down the road? as I said before this in no way shows that Pentax isn't concerned with the more professional cameras and that customer base. all you will have to worry about is will the camera offered by pentax that you are interested in compare with similar cameras offered by canon/nikon 3 years down the road. 3 years is a long time in the current world of digital photography. why would they all of a sudden care more about one customer base over the other? what evidence is there in the white k-m to suggest this? you are going to an extreme in your concern, not slight at all.

as a side note I agree that the limited aspect is a flaw, I think it should be offered as a regular version alongside the black. and as I said before, offered in a rainbow of colors. also, pentax has already started to deal with wal-mart. in fact they have been for close to half a year if im not mistaken.

Last edited by séamuis; 12-17-2008 at 08:54 AM.
12-17-2008, 08:51 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Although the color is new, the concept is not. Pentax did this sort of thing with some of their film cameras, such as the black ME Super.

If it helps Pentax sell cameras, it's not a bad thing.

Fast forward 30 years: "A mint-in-the-box Pentax K2000 in the collector coveted white color sold for $32,345 today on ebay"
12-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #129
Inactive Account

out of context or not, the statement still makes no sense, why should your k20D have to compare to canon/nikon offerings 3 years down the road? as I said before this in no way shows that Pentax isn't concerned with the more professional cameras and that customer base. all you will have to worry about is will the camera offered by pentax that you are interested in compare with similar cameras offered by canon/nikon 3 years down the road. 3 years is a long time in the current world of digital photography. why would they all of a sudden care more about one customer base over the other? what evidence is their in the white k-m to suggest this? you are going to an extreme in your concern, not slight at all.
I was speaking to if Pentax did not release a new advanced camera by then. Meaning, that if they did I would upgrade. Of course I do not expect Pentax's old technology to compare to Canon's/Nikon's current technology. But, if the K20D *was* Pentax's current technology in 3 years... I might be paranoid, but I am that way because of my recent shopping experience that I posted to above. Sorry. I think I said things in a way that has not conveyed my intent well.

as a side not I agree that the limited aspect is a flaw, I think it should be offered as a regular version alonside the black. and as I said before, offered in a rainbow of colors.
It's good to hear someone finally agree's. Most people are all for it thinking it's going to change the world. I would be much, much more for it if that were the case (not limited).

Jeremy
12-17-2008, 09:03 AM   #130

The white doesn't look bad, and it stands out from the crowd. If only they make it weather-resistant (snow-resistant!) I'll definitely buy one right away!

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I think Pentax did make an effort to try to minimize the amount of dirtiness on this white camera. Did anyone notice all the black parts on the camera and the lens are the parts where you fingers would touch the most?
12-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #131
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I was speaking to if Pentax did not release a new advanced camera by then. Meaning, that if they did I would upgrade. Of course I do not expect Pentax's old technology to compare to Canon's/Nikon's current technology. But, if the K20D *was* Pentax's current technology in 3 years... I might be paranoid, but I am that way because of my recent shopping experience that I posted to above. Sorry. I think I said things in a way that has not conveyed my intent well.
that's what I am getting at, what evidence is there to suggest that they wouldn't? I don't understand your concern at all. the k20D will most definitley not be the current Pentax camera in three years. as far as I know there is supposed to be another announcement sometime in early 2009, which may or may not outdo the K20D.
12-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #132
Inactive Account

that's what I am getting at, what evidence is there to suggest that they wouldn't? I don't understand your concern at all. the k20D will most definitley not be the current Pentax camera in three years. as far as I know there is supposed to be another announcement sometime this year, which may or may not outdo the K20D.
I guess from my shopping experience. That's all. I have no inside information at all. I would like to read where there are going to be new camera releases this upcoming year.

Jeremy
12-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #133
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jeremy_c Quote
I guess from my shopping experience. That's all. I have no inside information at all. I would like to read where there are going to be new camera releases this upcoming year.

Jeremy

im a bit too lazy to go looking up links but from what I have read here on the forums, Hoya has announced that 3? cameras will be introduced next year, and pretty much everyone is sure that PMA '09 (March 3-5) will be a big announcement for Pentax. again we are talking about rumors here, but I dont think one can discount that pentax will be releasing something. will it be what people want? knowing the average response by people here, probably not.
12-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #134
Pentaxian

Yes, next year we'll see first a minor upgrade, next at least one camera - possible two. Even the minor upgrade will be, let's say, about the K20D level.
Please stop those silly "what if Pentax won't make anything better in x years" posts. I don't see anything like that when Canon launches a brand-new plastic toy... and I bet a white 1000D would be acclaimed - "How innovative! How daring!"
12-17-2008, 10:05 AM   #135
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I don't see anything like that when Canon launches a brand-new plastic toy
go lurk on a canon forum, like on DPR, then come back and say that. all brand loyalists are the same.