Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2022, 01:50 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

FY2021 (ending March 2022) financial report

● Smart Vision / 360° camera business (Theta):

"In the smart vision business, Ricoh's strengths in capturing and image processing technologies are utilized to provide 360° cameras and virtual property guidance applications to the real estate industry, which have been well received. We have offered the THETA 360.biz virtual tour service in Japan since 2014. In July 2021, we began domestically offering RICOH 360 Tours, which we previously deployed in overseas markets. Demand for virtual tours is expanding around the world. Thus far, 60,000 customers globally have used our THETA 360.biz and RICOH360 Tours."

"360° camera cloud services sales rose on stay-at-home demand"

● Camera (and lens) business:

"sales of new products in the camera business were strong and increased."

"Cameras: Increased sales on strong demand for new products (PENTAX/GR), adopted workshop production approach and overhauled sales approaches"

Sources:

Flash report

Consolidated Results for the Year Ended March 31, 2022 (PowerPoint-type presentation)

Last edited by Mistral75; 05-18-2022 at 02:34 AM.
05-18-2022, 02:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Overall sale income in other segment are same as year before but it seems there was heavy investment into new technologies so all in all it may be better then it looks like. With Pentax/GR sales increased it seems that the distinction of GR as "fashinable"? street camera and capitalizing on DSLR values (OVF) and new K-3/3 really gave breathing room to camera divisions in Ricoh. We have another hard year before us (maybe several) with war in Europe and economic issues rising but I think future looks a bit brighter for Pentax and GR.

Thanks for information and links.
05-18-2022, 03:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Well I would say that in this moment of extreme difficulty at the moment he has faced the situation with equilibrium. The path that will be traced in the near future is not yet clear and at the moment, after the many releases of last year, there is little news on addresses and upcoming releases. There are only two lenses on the road map and for quite some time. No news has come from MF anymore, a k1III still appears premature, and none new on apsc except for a rumor about a new 50-135 plm. hypotheses have been made in the surveys of a k70 for astro or a monochromatic k3III, but even these are only hypotheses.
After these results, having a clearer course could bring greater security to those who like pentax products, which are notoriously always the subject of mortuary news. The patience of the Pentaxian is proverbial, but the market always seems to require something to talk about .. and some certain dates to which to tell the truth in the last year has always been strangely respected. I think if new things come out it seems that customers are in favor and probably help with the sales of other material as well.

Last edited by nonpigliounoshoot; 05-18-2022 at 03:38 AM.
05-18-2022, 07:26 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nonpigliounoshoot Quote
After these results, having a clearer course could bring greater security to those who like pentax products
Well, it looks like the new product releases we saw in the last two years, from all brands, were projects started before covid pandemic, assuming development times of around two years. This year was rather quiet for all brands , so far, because now we see the impact of new product start decisions made two years ago during covid and market slow down. This is regarding the camera industry as a whole. Now with Ricoh/Pentax, Ricoh will more or less follow this general trend, why would they be different? especially with Pentax having smaller market share and having decided not to develop a Pentax mirrorless eco system. The decision to continue DSLR and not to go mirrorless is a big one. Pentax not going mirrorless and not changing lens mount means there is much less need to develop new lenses, maybe refresh old lens models, but without urgency, at a slow or very slow pace. The new PentaxR&D efforts should be on the camera bodies, but there is no urgency either because new Pentax DSLR products would be incremental improvement over the current existing K mount camera line. Personally, based on the decision of Pentax remaining a DSLR product line, I don't expect much. I would expect a K1 III within the next three years, because the competitive weaknesses of the K1 are rather obvious, maybe along with one or two lenses, but that would be it for Pentax the next three to five years. The decision to stay DSLR was very strategic, such decision has a huge impact of the type and quantity of product releases because DSLR is rather mature kind of camera "tech".

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-18-2022 at 07:31 AM.
05-18-2022, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Well, it looks like the new product releases we saw in the last two years, from all brands, were projects started before covid pandemic, assuming development times of around two years. This year was rather quiet for all brands , so far, because now we see the impact of new product start decisions made two years ago during covid and market slow down. This is regarding the camera industry as a whole. Now with Ricoh/Pentax, Ricoh will more or less follow this general trend, why would they be different? especially with Pentax having smaller market share and having decided not to develop a Pentax mirrorless eco system. The decision to continue DSLR and not to go mirrorless is a big one. Pentax not going mirrorless and not changing lens mount means there is much less need to develop new lenses, maybe refresh old lens models, but without urgency, at a slow or very slow pace. The new PentaxR&D efforts should be on the camera bodies, but there is no urgency either because new Pentax DSLR products would be incremental improvement over the current existing K mount camera line. Personally, based on the decision of Pentax remaining a DSLR product line, I don't expect much. I would expect a K1 III within the next three years, because the competitive weaknesses of the K1 are rather obvious, maybe along with one or two lenses, but that would be it for Pentax the next three to five years. The decision to stay DSLR was very strategic, such decision has a huge impact of the type and quantity of product releases because DSLR is rather mature kind of camera "tech".
Right. I agree that the speed for the release of "new stuff" has to be seen in context. If I look at others, like Fuji, they might have released/will release a new APS-C model, but the old models still hold up to it, the advancement is incremental, and mainly in areas like speed and video (from my POV of no interest to what I do). New for the sake of newness is probably nothing one can expect from Ricoh.
Good to read that their decision seems to have worked out so far. More that that, general market also seems to show that the cards are not dealt yet, even if for various reasons
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/dslrs-are-back-sales-increase-132-wh...ras-decline-57
05-18-2022, 11:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I think Pentax will now scramble to have a complete system around K-3 Mk III to offer to attract new customers and keep current ones. Something they do not have now. So while you may be right with bodies (though I wonder if new K-70 would not come first) I think we will see some new DA lenses in next year or two.
05-18-2022, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
I think Pentax will now scramble to have a complete system around K-3 Mk III to offer to attract new customers and keep current ones.
They'll do that and also add an automatic picture files backup system for some customers who accidentally delete all their pictures (wishful thinking).

05-19-2022, 12:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Touche Yeah, 3rd writable only in camera proprietary card that would save all RAWs we take. And separate device with read-only function
05-21-2022, 04:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
I think Pentax will now scramble to have a complete system around K-3 Mk III to offer to attract new customers and keep current ones. Something they do not have now. So while you may be right with bodies (though I wonder if new K-70 would not come first) I think we will see some new DA lenses in next year or two.
I believe the “DA” lens series is in better shape than the “DFA” lens series is.
Especially since “DFA” lenses can be used on “APS-C” cameras as well as “FF” cameras, I expect them to be filling some ‘holes’ in the “DAF” lineup first.

Last edited by reh321; 05-21-2022 at 08:58 AM.
05-21-2022, 07:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I believe the “DA” lens series is in better shape than the “DAF” lens series is.
Especially since “DAF” lenses can be used on “APS-C” cameras as well as “FF” cameras, I expect them to be filling some ‘holes’ in the “DAF” lineup first.
By "DAF", do you mean "D FA"?
05-21-2022, 07:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I believe the “DA” lens series is in better shape than the “DAF” lens series is.
Especially since “DAF” lenses can be used on “APS-C” cameras as well as “FF” cameras, I expect them to be filling some ‘holes’ in the “DAF” lineup first.
think for sure about DFA lenses, yes, you are right in the conclusion and opinion that the APSC format has a better and bigger choice of its lenses (missing new ones with fast af DA 50-135 / 2.8 but the current one does not have not a little bad optics at all), even when to DA add the possibility of uncompromising use of DFA lenses we in the ff format sometimes envy users of the apsc format on better and greater choice of lenses (but not on dof and dynamic range especially in shadows)

Last edited by mbukal; 05-21-2022 at 07:45 AM.
05-21-2022, 02:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian

That said, the last new DA prime lens was launched in 2012 and was the fantastic plastic 1.8/50mm. Quite a few DA primes could do with some sort of an upgrade or WR.
05-21-2022, 06:14 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
That said, the last new DA prime lens was launched in 2012 and was the fantastic plastic 1.8/50mm. Quite a few DA primes could do with some sort of an upgrade or WR.
When were the HD versions of the DA limiteds released?
05-21-2022, 07:20 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Those are not new optical designs. And the answer is 2013, so they're not too recent anyway.
05-22-2022, 01:54 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe the “DA” lens series is in better shape than the “DFA” lens series is.
Especially since “DFA” lenses can be used on “APS-C” cameras as well as “FF” cameras, I expect them to be filling some ‘holes’ in the “DAF” lineup first.
Yes, there is a lot of DA lenses. How many can make full use in of main K-3 Mk III feature: new AF? One pro and one consumer. I am not saying that DA lineup is not big enough. I am saying that K-3 Mk III lineup is not big enough. Well, outside of some possible DC kit lenses and one pro level lens it is non existent.