Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2022, 12:53 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 6,804
Ricoh WG-80

Just announced. Same ol' same ol'. $330.

RICOH WG-80: Digital compact camera for underwater photography down to 14 meters, featuring a totally renewed exterior design and enhanced operability|RICOH IMAGING

Ricoh announces rugged WG-80 compact camera with better built-in LED lights | Digital Photography Review

05-19-2022, 01:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian
MMVIII's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: EU
Posts: 1,038
Thanks. I didn't follow the last iterations, are they any good? The last one I tried to use was not up to my task, as I could not use it in manual mode with interval timer. But I have special needs. Any experiences with IQ of this/previous generations? The webcam feature sounds quite nice.
05-19-2022, 02:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,624
Ricoh Says totally renewed exterior design, but to me it looks almost identical to WG-70.
05-19-2022, 02:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 567
If they could add DNG support, it would suddenly be interesting to upgrade my old WG-5 (or 3 or ...... I dont remember)

05-19-2022, 04:02 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,433
Baby diapers are being advertised quite often, and it's not because of there is a new super high tech diaper model upgrade with wirelessly connected bad smell detector. 8 years old kids and their parents don't wonder why the newly advertised diaper model don't offer much technology improvements over the diapers they used 8 years ago. Still, new diaper models are being advertised quite regularly and it is precisely because new babies just came to the world and their parents now have a urgent need for baby diapers. The WG-80 is advertised for people who didn't consider buying a WG-70 but who are now considering buying an action camera for their up-coming summer vacation. Makes sense?
05-19-2022, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,788
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Baby diapers are being advertised quite often, and it's not because of there is a new super high tech diaper model upgrade with wirelessly connected bad smell detector. 8 years old kids and their parents don't wonder why the newly advertised diaper model don't offer much technology improvements over the diapers they used 8 years ago. Still, new diaper models are being advertised quite regularly and it is precisely because new babies just came to the world and their parents now have a urgent need for baby diapers. The WG-80 is advertised for people who didn't consider buying a WG-70 but who are now considering buying an action camera for their up-coming summer vacation. Makes sense?
LOL at the comparaison. Made my day xD
05-19-2022, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,733
Side by side views here along with feature breakdown. Essentially aside from cosmetics, the wg-80 model offers brighter macro lighting than the wg-70.

https://www.diyphotography.net/ricohs-new-rugged-and-waterproof-wg-80-is-bas...er-ring-light/

05-19-2022, 10:46 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Baltimore
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,823
Seems a pity they missed the opportunity to have raw output. Why would that be hard to add? Also, it really is time to do these in a 1" or even apsc sensor size. I have one from years ago I got for fishing, before I had a smart phone. I'd get another if it output raw and had a larger sensor---my Theta has a 1" for crying out loud. Well, guess it's time to get that waterproof case for it.....

Oh, right! They don't make one for the Z1! grrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited by texandrews; 05-19-2022 at 10:52 AM.
05-19-2022, 01:43 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,733
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Seems a pity they missed the opportunity to have raw output. Why would that be hard to add? Also, it really is time to do these in a 1" or even apsc sensor size. I have one from years ago I got for fishing, before I had a smart phone. I'd get another if it output raw and had a larger sensor---my Theta has a 1" for crying out loud. Well, guess it's time to get that waterproof case for it.....

Oh, right! They don't make one for the Z1! grrrrrrrrrrr
Compact 1 sensor or MILC apsc/ff in a housing is where the high end market is right now.

Best Underwater Camera in 2022 | Bluewater Photo
05-28-2022, 10:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian
redrockcoulee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Medicine Hat
Posts: 2,260
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
If they could add DNG support, it would suddenly be interesting to upgrade my old WG-5 (or 3 or ...... I dont remember)
Yep same here. The only reason I would upgrade my WG3 is for RAW. God that they are still producing that line of cameras
06-03-2022, 07:40 AM - 5 Likes   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 684
The next new product is from PENTAX and will be released soon.
06-03-2022, 07:43 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
c.a.m's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,562
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
The next new product is from PENTAX and will be released soon.
Yay! Looking forward to the announcement.
06-03-2022, 07:45 AM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 14,965
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
The next new product is from PENTAX and will be released soon.
Please, if you can answer just those two questions:
- will I want to buy it?
- is it expensive?
06-03-2022, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 684
not expensive.
06-03-2022, 09:23 AM   #15
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Baltimore
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,823
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
The next new product is from PENTAX and will be released soon.
Hot diggety dog!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, ish, k3-iii, pentax news, pentax rumors, photography, ricoh, shape, silicone, tele
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ricoh WG-6 & WG-60? csa Pentax Compact Cameras 7 04-21-2020 10:49 PM
Ricoh WG-series (series of wg-5) history? RonHendriks1966 Pentax News and Rumors 59 04-13-2017 03:04 PM
Ricoh Imaging Extends the Adventure with Debut of WG-4 GPS & WG-4 Rugged Cameras, Com Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 9 02-21-2014 01:29 AM
Optio WG-3 GPS, WG-3, and WG-10 Outdoor Compacts officially Announced Adam Pentax News and Rumors 13 02-03-2013 03:02 AM
PENTAX WG-10, WG-3 GPS and WG-3 is Coming!!! ogunturkay Pentax News and Rumors 39 01-29-2013 10:00 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:07 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top