Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2008, 06:55 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Well i do have to agree with k10dbook.

I personnaly like the look of the camera. Like it or not, it will attract the eye of everyone in a room filled with a sea of dull black SLR. That will have an instant effect on a crowd that will enquire on the brand. Hey, it's just a coat of paint, the specs are the same as the K-m. So what's not to like? I guess that anyone of us who has K100/10/200/20 will not bother to look at a K-m to buy wether black or white.

But for all intent of marketing purpose, i've also shown this camera to my wife, and she's not into photography, and while she like me taking photo of everything, she just do not like holding cameras. But when i've shown this white camera to her, she liked it and she started asking me the availability, if we will get it in Canada, the cost, specs,... THAT got her attention, and i guess that having something that stands out of a display board will get anyone attention.

An example that i can give, which is entirely not photo related, is the Jeep Patriot-Compass duo. Chrysler marketing opted to put 2 of those vehicules on sale, and marketing research found that the Compass would appeal to the womens and the Patriot to Mens. Do your own research and you will find that it's fairly accurate.

Pentax came with a different product, probably not targeted to your usual DSLR User, but to users that would probably want to use DSLR but needes a little tap in the back. In those days where looks can save or kill a product, having something that stands out is great. And no i do not think that Pentax spent more thatn 2000$ in R&D for this, after all it's just paint.

And don't we all want some increase on Pentax visibility?

12-17-2008, 09:34 AM   #17
Pentaxian

To increase visibility they should make it bright orange.
(I agree with you, btw - it could attract attention)
12-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #18

This is a brilliant idea by Pentax. This will fit in with all those cool Apple ipod people who want white everything....

I really like the look of it but not sure I would actually want to use one

Surprised this hasn't been done before in white by one of the other manufacturers.
12-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #19
Inactive Account

I think it's sharp and will apeal to the youth very well.

I wish it came with these

Attached Images

12-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by brian s. Quote
I think it's sharp and will apeal to the youth very well.

I wish it came with these
no. just no.
12-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At least it won't melt in the sun as quickly in July should someone leave it on the seat of their car. Its too bad that its not weather sealed, they could sell it with matching snow skis.
12-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I dunno - the more I see it the more I'm liking it. It'll take a bit more TLC keeping it clean and purdy but I don't see it as such a bad thing to know your camera needs a good cleaning really. If Pentax decides to do a limited run of K20s in white, and I was shopping a new body, I'd give it serious consideration.

As to the nay sayers that feel black is the only true color - uh, you might want to look back earlier than the advent of Digital SLRs. Most SLR cameras from all the various manufacturers were aluminum/stainless "silver" metal boxes and I'm pretty certain they take mighty darn good pictures and didn't draw jeers and laughs from the crowd.
12-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Black KX

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
I dunno - the more I see it the more I'm liking it. It'll take a bit more TLC keeping it clean and purdy but I don't see it as such a bad thing to know your camera needs a good cleaning really. If Pentax decides to do a limited run of K20s in white, and I was shopping a new body, I'd give it serious consideration.

As to the nay sayers that feel black is the only true color - uh, you might want to look back earlier than the advent of Digital SLRs. Most SLR cameras from all the various manufacturers were aluminum/stainless "silver" metal boxes and I'm pretty certain they take mighty darn good pictures and didn't draw jeers and laughs from the crowd.
I'm quite certain my black KX, given as a college graduation present, cost my grandmother extra money. Ostensibly the black paint did not cause reflections - and eventually black became standard for cameras.

I wonder what will happen with white?