Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Absolutely ******* hideous...

and embarrasingly butt-ugly to boot. WTF? I thought the whole idea was to get people to take you seriously...

One of the STUPIDEST moves they've ever made, and they should have just announced it when they brought the cheap camera out, not made a big deal out of it like this. Is this in response to Canon with their stupid ad campaign with Avril Lavigne? That's absolutely ridiculous as well. WTF is she doing woith a camera taking pictures of herself? Arrogant little *****. Oh, I see, target the kids at Christmas...wow, how original.

Their marketing department gets stupider daily, it seems. Why don't they put some out with flames on it, or pictures of scantily-clad women? And the 'game' website is right out of 1997.

At least the Panasonic coloured SLR's aren't butt-freaking ugly like this.

Absolutely hideous, in very poor taste, and extremely embarrassing. While before we were just lagging behind technologically, now in addition to that we're the laughing stock of the photographic world.

I was joking on another site about the big announcement being minor upgrades to the K200, but this...

Unbelievable. Worse than I could possibly have imagined. Much worse.

Cameron

PS: wanna buy some FA* lenses before the price bottoms out? Get in touch.

Last edited by Cambo; 12-16-2008 at 04:36 PM.
12-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote

Absolutely hideous, in very poor taste, and extremely embarrassing.
Have you ever seen a gold LX? It brought poor taste to a level to which no white DSLR dares to aspire.

Jer
12-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I know several people who would by a camera just because it had a different color,
to "stand out" among the crowd.
Additionally, I think it looks rather good, especially compared to the tacky gold versions of the Nikon D60!
White is the new black, just look at new cars...
12-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This thing IS funny, but I think you are dramatizing a little.
It's not going to hurt sales or anything. Would I buy white body Km or K20D? Probably not. But some people will. After all this is optional, people can buy black version as well.
Canon used to sell Rebel on US market for the first 2 years only in Ugly-Plasticy-Silver
color without option of black body, now that was sad.

12-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow... for an open minded group of "artists" there is surpisingly strong (and negative) opinion about making something "un-blacK" Who ever decided that all cameras had to be black? How does producing a non-black camera reduce the credibility of the company?

As a little side story...
Mountain bikes have 26" wheels but road bikes have 27" wheels (actually 700c but its almost equivalent). This was always the case since mountain bikes were invented in the 80's. A few years ago Gary Fisher Bikes challenged convention essentially asking the question "who ever decided that a mountain bike wheel had to be 26?" The only reason that wheel size was used was because before there was a mountain bike industry you could buy large diameter beach cruiser type wheels that were the only thing available to use. So Gary Fisher decided to introduce a bike with 29" wheels with the idea being that larger wheels are faster (that's why they used the larger wheels on road bikes afterall). Personally the larger wheel did not sit well with me but a whole new segment of the market has grown around this new size. There was a lot of resistance to this change since you needed new forks, new tires, new rims, new spokes and new frames to match this new standard but the change happened.

Times change and unwarranted conventions eventually fall down so I ask again... Why does a group of "artists" insist that a camera can only be black?
12-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It will be silly only if it doesn't sell. Wedding photographers do well with white cameras, it adds to the appeal. As far as marketing with Avril Lavigne goes:

"it seems our little game is causing you to prespire mr. bond..."

Carl
12-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
Forum Member

yikes

well said, Kunik. With whom exactly should Pentax be so careful to establish and maintain 'credibility?' Photo magazine editors? Stodgy classicists? I use Pentax because I like my results and they don't cost me an arm and a leg like the others. Who cares if they want to try something new. It's part of what makes Pentax a fun brand.

Plus there's another company out there whose trademark is large white lenses. They seem to be doing OK.

12-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

and embarrasingly butt-ugly to boot. WTF? I thought the whole idea was to get people to take you seriously...

One of the STUPIDEST moves they've ever made, and they should have just announced it when they brought the cheap camera out, not made a big deal out of it like this. Is this in response to Canon with their stupid ad campaign with Avril Lavigne? That's absolutely ridiculous as well. WTF is she doing woith a camera taking pictures of herself? Arrogant little *****. Oh, I see, target the kids at Christmas...wow, how original.

Their marketing department gets stupider daily, it seems. Why don't they put some out with flames on it, or pictures of scantily-clad women? And the 'game' website is right out of 1997.

Absolutely hideous, in very poor taste, and extremely embarrassing. While before we were just lagging behind technologically, now in addition to that we're the laughing stock of the photographic world.

I was joking on another site about the big announcement being minor upgrades to the K200, but this...

Unbelievable. Worse than I could possibly have imagined. Much worse.

Cameron

PS: wanna buy some FA* lenses before the price bottoms out? Get in touch.
What's embarrassing about that? You suddenly can't take good photos anymore because Pentax released a white K-m? Feeling threatened by more and more women discovering photography (who obviously are the target demographic of this camera and not you)?

Just about the only ones who laugh at a non-black DSLR are those who have a narrow mindset and think that DSLRs should be black and look masculine.

Please, dump your FA* lenses ASAP. The rest of us who value the final images more than the tool used to create them would appreciate it. Real men like you should use bigger and black cameras (i.e. D3, 1Ds).
12-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #9

Take a deep breath....

I agree with many here. I'll admit that I was very disappointed at first. A white cheapo camera with white lenes? Then I started to think about it....Pentax is trying to reinvent itself. Trying to get the new DSLR user. You do that by doing things that might not seem cool to us, but it builds a brand loyalty. Why are we here? We like Pentax because of the great results. So all they are trying to tap into new people.

Once they get new people, some of those people will want something better as their skills increase. With a bigger base, Pentax will benefit. They will sell more. The more they sell, the more money they make, then more money for R&D. The more money in R&D, the sooner we'll get the next big camera for us. Full frame, more FPS, better AF, you name it.

How does Canon sell so many cameras? They sell the cheapo Rebels and offer the big pro cameras and people think they are getting a pro camera. They feel like toys, but people don't care because of the name on the body. The next step for Pentax is to offer a much better DSLR. Which I think is coming.

Like something you see on the sidelines of an NFL game. White lenes? Hmm, there sure does seem to be a lot of those on the sidelines now. Now when a mom buys this camera with a white lens, she'll think she buying into a pro system. Pentax needs to get this in the stores and market it big time for this idea to take hold. Make these new people proud, like us, that they own a Pentax.

Using Canon for the white lenes, sure, but who cares. They're trying to build a new base. Let's just be patient, let it run it's course and we'll all get what we want. I hope.
12-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This isn't the end of civilization as we know it...

The questiion isn't whether it should be white, blue, red or lapis lazuli; the question under discussion should be, is it a good camera?
As an ol' rodeo cowboy told me once, y'all can't ride a color,
Brian
12-16-2008, 11:09 PM   #11

I thought it was a weird decision to go with the white color, but then I thought I about it and it seemed like an interesting choice. It would really stand out in a crowd full of black cameras, which is what Pentax wants to do with this limited (?) run of white K-ms.
12-16-2008, 11:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Now, my wife is not all that crazy about digital cameras to begin with. I bought her a K100D first...she never used it. I bought her a K200D, she's okay with it but say it's too heavy. I bought the K2000 and she kind of like it. She saw the K2000 white, and said she wanted one as soon as they were available, with the two white lenses offered. She thought the camera was georgeous. She went on and on about it.

You have to remember that Pentax really built the K2000 for people moving up from point & shoot and for women. Think about it guys out there! If your wife likes it, this is your chance to get all the lenses you have been dreaming of. keep your wife happy and the world is at your feet.

Want a new camera and lenses, show your wife the white K2000. I bet you she will like it.

Don't miss the boat guys!
12-17-2008, 12:38 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
Want a new camera and lenses, show your wife the white K2000. I bet you she will like it.
Showed the pictures at home - and both my wife and oldest daughter would want one. According to the videos on how the K-m/2000 was made - It's designed for women.

White? Bling? "Stainless steel"? - No problem as long as they make more money by targeting a "new" market. Except from a silver D40 I can't remember any other entry-level DSLR's that stand out from the crowd.
12-17-2008, 05:15 AM   #14

One of the STUPIDEST moves they've ever made, and they should have just announced it when they brought the cheap camera out, not made a big deal out of it ...
Pardon me, but I think you are blaming the wrong guys here.

Pentax never made a big deal out of this. They have just created and announced it. This guy, and we made the hype.

I honestly think that you and I are the stupid guys here. Because we fell for this blog, and built up our own way to high expectations. Don't you agree?

Last edited by Fototim; 12-17-2008 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Just added a smilie, to indicate that the post is friendly intended
12-17-2008, 05:20 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteQuote:
if you are referring to the G1, first of all its not an SLR, and second I think there are probably a lot of people who find it to be quite ugly. you are trying to argue opinion, and you are making yourself look bad.