Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: I am totally disgusted by the K2000W's crass marketing ploy because it's...
totally embarrassing... 2133.33%
masqueraded as a technological innovation on all the major photographic sites 1320.63%
so obviously targeting children and teeny boppers at Christmas... 1930.16%
completely butt-freaking ugly 1930.16%
they are so far behind technologically they shouldn't be wasting resources on this 2336.51%
ALL OF THE ABOVE - THIS IS HUMILIATING, PENTAX!!!! WTF ARE YOU DOING???? 3657.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #16

Well, could have been worse

12-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #17

I think I need another thread with the same post in it before I decide.
12-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #18
Forum Member

Well, all this anger over the change in colour...
I'm not sure it would have cost much in R&D to launch a white version of a camera. What I'm guessing is that its not costing more than an ad campaign.
Its certainly a good time to advertise a distinctive current product in the xmas purchase rush...
'do you have the white km in stock? I noticed it online...'
'sorry no, but I do have the black one you can take home today...'

You've probably noticed the number of very minor firmware updates that are keeping premium pocket cameras on the front of camera news and review websites?
Pentax km, regardless of colour will have front page showings in places like dpreview and be remembered because it is white.

How exactly is this announcement going to harm Pentax in any way? I just hope this type of announcement doesn't become a common thing around xmas...
12-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

so you didn't like it, don't buy it

and quit whining waaaaa waaaaa waaaaa

12-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #20

To me (and I know my perspective's a little screwy sometimes) I think it could actually be a really good marketing idea. I agree with Acliffalay... it gets Pentax' name out. Publicity can't hurt--even bad publicity can be beneficial. Whenever something is mentioned in the news, for whatever reason, interest in it increases. And that can't be bad for Pentax right now.

And I agree with a post in this thread: who says cameras have to be black? I think it actually looks pretty good in white.
12-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a camera with a white shell. God, take a pill.
12-16-2008, 06:47 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jdmccol Quote
It's for storm troopers.
Good one.

I personally think the colour scheme got something. Not for me! But I can well imagine it in the hands of a woman with sunglasses, gloves, and a fur stole in St. Tropez, snapping away with her Gucci bag crew.

I hope it makes Pentax a lot of dosh, but please don't forget the technical innovations.

P.S.: My vote "None of the above".

Last edited by Class A; 12-17-2008 at 02:54 AM.
12-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

What's the problem with a white camera?
After all, point and shoot compact cameras already come in colors other than black and silver for some time now, so why not a DSLR other than black? This makes a good transition for PnS users who already have colored compact cameras to migrate to DSLRs.

As much as many have expressed their shock and horror, I think it shows good out of the box thinking marketing wise. Colors offer some measure of individuality and product differentiation for the buyer and I believe it broadens the target audience on the whole.

"Be Interesting" is a good slogan and the white K-m embodies it.

12-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cousinsane Quote
Well, could have been worse

Wow! LOL!

Yes it could be FAR worse!

Maybe this camera is a symble of Pentax's vapor ware (60-250 and 645D).

Kind of a ghost of an idea. Casper the friendly camera?
12-16-2008, 07:14 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Where is the NON OF THE ABOVE option?
Agreed... I think it is kind of fun.
Now if they had included a white edition of say the DA21ltd (or parhaps all 3 of them?), I would probably have bought one for the fun of it
12-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #26
Ed in GA

I vote.....

None of the above.
12-16-2008, 08:35 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Wow dude, this is your second big rant I've read this week (4th if you count the duplicate posts). Maybe you should unwrap your ego from your camera brand, have an adult beverage, sit back and relax. Who gives a flying f*** that the camera brand that you happen to use has a model that you (and probably others) find asthetically displeasing? It's a piece of equipment. Do you find yourself ridiculing Panasonic users because the G1 exists in alternate colors? As far as making a big deal, there was a very minor note about the announcement two days ago...on a blog...that's it. We, on this forum, and on DPR, turned it into the BIG DEAL.
12-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Irony?

I find it interesting that so many people here are so concerned with marketing of Pentax in efforts to make their chosen brand appear to be stronger or the "more Pentax cameras in the marketplace, the better", like some kind of camera envy or security blanket that they think Pentax owes them...

yet...

When their chosen brand releases something squarely aimed at a demographic that may actually be attracted to this camera now...there are these kinds of whiny threads. Hilarious.

If you don't like the way it looks, don't buy it! After that, get back to focusing on making great photography instead of being a complete gear-freak fan boy.

Amen.

Jason
12-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I find it interesting that so many people here are so concerned with marketing of Pentax in efforts to make their chosen brand appear to be stronger or the "more Pentax cameras in the marketplace, the better", like some kind of camera envy or security blanket that they think Pentax owes them...

yet...

When their chosen brand releases something squarely aimed at a demographic that may actually be attracted to this camera now...there are these kinds of whiny threads. Hilarious.

If you don't like the way it looks, don't buy it! After that, get back to focusing on making great photography instead of being a complete gear-freak fan boy.
I am all for Pentax getting more revenue in the doors and for hitting a broad market, however, I've mentioned before and have had no resonse... How is a limited edition (read $$$) going to match their target (at least what we think is their target)? Also, their target (consumer women?) is not going to be shopping at Adorama or B&H for a camera, they are going to be at Walmart. So, how is this camera doing anything good except for the few who like the color white?

If they truly wanted to target women, great, come out with a Standard Edition K2000. You can get it in White or Black. Sell for the same price and sell them in Walmart. That would hit the target. All the talk of Pentax selling to women with this camera seems very misguided. I can't see at all how that's going to happen.

Jeremy
12-16-2008, 09:38 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about a check box for "it doesn't bother me at all" ? If you want the black version buy it......Choice is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.