Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: I am totally disgusted by the K2000W's crass marketing ploy because it's...
totally embarrassing... 2133.33%
masqueraded as a technological innovation on all the major photographic sites 1320.63%
so obviously targeting children and teeny boppers at Christmas... 1930.16%
completely butt-freaking ugly 1930.16%
they are so far behind technologically they shouldn't be wasting resources on this 2336.51%
ALL OF THE ABOVE - THIS IS HUMILIATING, PENTAX!!!! WTF ARE YOU DOING???? 3657.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2008, 02:09 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not the "target market," I suppose

Hmm...white K2000...might be a trial balloon to see if there's a market for a DSLR with a different look to it. If it sells out quickly, Pentax may try a few other colors to see if there are "legs" to the idea of colored DSLRs. If not, no big deal and no big loss.

Oh, and as a woman, I don't see myself buying one just for the color of the body, since I'm more interested in the color rendition of the camera in my final prints.

12-17-2008, 02:15 AM   #47
Veteran Member

I don't like the direction Pentax is going. This is just for fancy-pants tech posers.

The white K-m is for readers of Wired.
12-17-2008, 04:20 AM   #48

I dont mind if Pentax launches any existing camera in Pink or white or whatever, as long as it sells and generates revenue, which they can direct towards some R&D...

Cheers
Nish
12-17-2008, 04:34 AM   #49
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Where is the NON OF THE ABOVE option?
thank you.

12-17-2008, 05:07 AM   #50

What knuckleheaded thinking on the OP's part--wheres the none of the above.

Just a color my friend as its not like they changed the vaporware 60-250 to constant 5.6....

Get a freakin' life!
12-17-2008, 05:28 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Where is the NON OF THE ABOVE option?
Agreed.

While I won't be buying one any time soon, or ever at all, I think it actually looks pretty damn nice.
12-17-2008, 06:03 AM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-m white is limited edition camera like K200D silver. It's simple marketing move. Not bad.
I don't see any problem at all...
Calm down...

Be responsible! K200D and K20D are only 10 months on the market, K-m is only 1 month.
Who waited new camera NOW? Nervous fans???

All new cameras will be shown close to March, 2009.
The silver looking k200d is more like an anniversary edition which looks a lot like a spotmatic and in that way is more special and worth spending more money for. At least it looks like it took them some time to design it and more resources to produce it, unlike the white color k-m, which is just painted white with some black labels.

It's not like I hate or dislike the white k-m but don't make it a special limited edition, give people the choice to buy it in white or black, not charge them an enormous amount more for the white edition because it is limited.

Last edited by john_ven24; 12-17-2008 at 06:13 AM.
12-17-2008, 06:08 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Not exactly an impartial poll as has been stated.

That said, I don't like this move either. Give us competitive technology, not a coat of paint.
12-17-2008, 06:32 AM   #54
racinsince55

This entire poll, and thread, is just silly. You go off the deep end because Pentax didn't introduce the K30(?) or some other iteration of their line that you thought they should.

Those of you doing the loudest complaining will be the same people who, when the KxxD is introduced, will compain that it doesn't have ISO64,000, FF, 25FPS @ 40mp and it won't fast focus in total darkness.

You complain that Pentax doesn't have enough exposure. But, when they introduce a camera to target a specific demographic and, hopefully, increase their exposure, you complain that they didn't introduce what YOU wanted them to.

Good Lord people, even Canon, Nikon & etc. produce consumer level DSLR's to help them gain exposure and market share.

Why don't Y'all just sit back, have another sip of wine and wait to see what Pentax introduces in the spring. It just might (although some of you will never be satisfied) have many of the features that you're lusting after.

Otherwise, if you think Pentax is a completely bonehead company, get rid of your stuff and move on to what will satisfy you.
12-17-2008, 07:06 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Butts are NOT ugly.

If anything, you must work for a marketing agency yourself because you have not given us the opportunity (in the above survey) to differ from YOUR opinion.

All above with tongue firmly in cheek.
12-17-2008, 07:26 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
and embarrasingly butt-ugly to boot. WTF? I thought the whole idea was to get people to take you seriously...

One of the STUPIDEST moves they've ever made, blah blah blah
Hey, how about getting a life? So you don't like it, so what?
12-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This thread deserves to die.

Where's a moderator when you need one???
12-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john_ven24 Quote
It's not like I hate or dislike the white k-m but don't make it a special limited edition, give people the choice to buy it in white or black, not charge them an enormous amount more for the white edition because it is limited.
Sums up my opinion on things exactly. It should not cost more than the black version, IMHO.
12-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Been trying to delete the duplicate thread, but...

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Why does the thread starter have to start two threads on the same topic?
Perhaps the mods can merge the threads.
QuoteOriginally posted by lbam Quote
Or delete one of them.. lol
can't figure out how on this board. If somebody can give me a hint, that would be appreciated.

I am SO pissed off at these guys - yet another cheap crappy and this time hideously ugly camera. They really need to raise their profile with some serious gear or NOBODY will be buying their stuff anymore. Canon can get away with these tacky marketing gimmicks because they've already got 90% market share or something. Pentax needs to regain their marketshare by making some cameras that make them look credible instead of just incredibly tacky.

And for them to make such a 'big splash' announcement on photographer's websites about a cheap white camera at Christmas when they are so seriously lagging in just about EVERY technological department... just nuts.

They should have posted this POS somewhere where the teenyboppers and girly-girls hang out, I don't know, Martha Stewart's forum or something, not on a photographic forum. We don't freaking care if the ******* cameras white, we're looking for some perfomance improvements that will keep this company in step with the others instead of constantly being a year or more behind. And a BUNCH of us have been waiting for a good semi-pro camera since about 1995. The K10 was a step in the right direction, the K20, nice, a good camera, but seriously slow by today's standards, not as innovative as the K10 was, close but no cigar. And now they're resorting to tacky parlour tricks cause they've got nothing else.

Unbelievable. Another disappointment from the company that seems to revel in disappointing it's loyal base. White ******* cameras - they can't even make a camera that properly matches the colour or the texture of the lenses they've got out now...

They are in serious need of a good industrial designer or two. Or at least somebody with some taste at the helm. This thing might not have looked so unbelievably cheap and tacky if they had spent the extra five bucks and made the rubber bits white as well, or some other colour rather than battle-ship grey, maybe with some gold trim instead of silver. But that would have taken some forethought and planning instead of this knee-jerk-and-as-always-a-little-bit-too-late-and-too-cheap reaction. It won't even be out in time for Christmas anyway...

Cameron

Last edited by Cambo; 12-17-2008 at 11:13 AM.
12-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Keep Cryin'

I am SO pissed off at these guys - yet another cheap crappy and this time hideously ugly camera.
According to you. Have you even read any of the other comments? Many people like it. And what are the other "cheap crappy" cameras? The K-m black? The K200D? The K2000/K-m is better made than both of Canon's lowest two cameras.

They really need to raise their profile with some serious gear or NOBODY will be buying their stuff anymore. Canon can get away with these tacky marketing gimmicks because they've already got 90% market share or something. Pentax needs to regain their marketshare by making some cameras that make them look credible instead of just incredibly tacky.
And Canon probably gets that market share (which is nowhere close to 90%) with it's XTi's and XSi's. Entry-level cameras get people into your system (or haven't you read the other dozen odd posts that mention this?)

And for them to make such a 'big splash' announcement on photographer's websites about a cheap white camera at Christmas when they are so seriously lagging in just about EVERY technological department... just nuts.
It was a "big splash" on one blog. You're right, they went SOOOO over the top! And please, I'd love to see your comparison list showing Pentax lagging behind in "EVERY technological department. And how insane to have wasted the thousands of hours of R & D it must have taken to make these huge...color...changes...to plastic...(?)

They should have posted this POS somewhere where the teenyboppers and girly-girls hang out, I don't know, Martha Stewart's forum or something, not on a photographic forum. We don't freaking care if the ******* cameras white, we're looking for some perfomance improvements that will keep this company in step with the others instead of constantly being a year or more behind. And a BUNCH of us have been waiting for a good semi-pro camera since about 1995. The K10 was a step in the right direction, the K20, nice, a good camera, but seriously slow by today's standards, not as innovative as the K10 was, close but no cigar. And now they're resorting to tacky parlour tricks cause they've got nothing else..
You've been disappointed since 1995? Wow, that may be the height of stupidity. Get a different system. Seriously, get a different system now. You've wasted 13 years of your life on Pentax...move on.

Unbelievable. Another disappointment from the company that seems to revel in disappointing it's loyal base. White ******* cameras - they can't even make a camera that properly matches the colour of the lenses they've got out now.
Well, good thing this website was created for all of us perpetually disappointed Pentax photogs to come and share our sorrows. Woe is us! Why, WHY didn't I choose Canon, or Nikon, or Olympus, or Holga? Oh wait...there are only a very small handful who bitch like this. I actually like my highly-awarded K10D and envied-by-most Ltd. Primes.

They are in serious need of a good industrial designer or two. Or at least somebody with some taste at the helm.

Cameron

By the way, are you a teenager? I teach high school students, and your rants are very similar to a lot of argumentative essays I get from them.