Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: I am totally disgusted by the K2000W's crass marketing ploy because it's...
totally embarrassing... 2133.33%
masqueraded as a technological innovation on all the major photographic sites 1320.63%
so obviously targeting children and teeny boppers at Christmas... 1930.16%
completely butt-freaking ugly 1930.16%
they are so far behind technologically they shouldn't be wasting resources on this 2336.51%
ALL OF THE ABOVE - THIS IS HUMILIATING, PENTAX!!!! WTF ARE YOU DOING???? 3657.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #91

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
I've seen this comment made several time on a couple of different forums.

If I were a Woman, I would take great offense to this comment.

I agree.

Perusing both the "fair" and "unfair" polls show that 308 votes have been cast as of 12:35 EST on 12/18/09.

Of the 11 possible choices, 8 were negative towards the said white and 3 positive...

As of this count, 70% approve in some manner v. disapprove.

Good on ya Pentaxians

12-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

No kidding.

This whole deal has brought out the worst in some people. Photography is a pretty technical hobby -- and thus it attracts a lot of people only interested in the technical aspects. High end audio is like this too.

And with it, for reasons I'm not entirely certain of, comes a certainly level of what I'll call aspergers-machismo.

It's ridiculous, but we all learned about it when we first got into a 'my dad can beat your dad up' argument as children. Most people grow out of it, but some substitute camera companies, or amplifier manufacturers, or push rod engines.

If you're embarrassed by electronics companies or being associated with women, you've got serious problems.

And the fastest autofocus, biggest aperture, lowest THD, or a 4 bolt main isn't going to change anything.

"Daddy never loved me, but Pentax does!" Uh huh. It's a multinational corporation dude. They exist to make money. You could DIAF for all they care if it makes a buck.

12-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yow...

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclingshooter Quote
I think it will match nicely with the silver limiteds and some of the more rare telephotos in white. I actually like it for a second body sporting the 31mm.
YOU must be their target market... I can think of nothing more freaking ghastly or tacky. It won't match ANYTHING.

And by the way, in case you hadn't noticed, I was insulting Pentax and their lack of taste and innovation, not you personally or your country, you moron. Shall we start a diatribe on all the good stuff the US has done to the world in the last 8 years?

Sincerely,
Cameron
12-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Definitely marketed toward women

I just wonder what has been said by Pentax that would be the foundation for this?

Or, is it just simply supposition?

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclingshooter Quote
I agree.

Perusing both the "fair" and "unfair" polls show that 308 votes have been cast as of 12:35 EST on 12/18/09.

Of the 11 possible choices, 8 were negative towards the said white and 3 positive...

As of this count, 70% approve in some manner v. disapprove.

Good on ya Pentaxians
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
No kidding.

This whole deal has brought out the worst in some people. Photography is a pretty technical hobby -- and thus it attracts a lot of people only interested in the technical aspects. High end audio is like this too.

And with it, for reasons I'm not entirely certain of, comes a certainly level of what I'll call aspergers-machismo.

It's ridiculous, but we all learned about it when we first got into a 'my dad can beat your dad up' argument as children. Most people grow out of it, but some substitute camera companies, or amplifier manufacturers, or push rod engines.

If you're embarrassed by electronics companies or being associated with women, you've got serious problems.

And the fastest autofocus, biggest aperture, lowest THD, or a 4 bolt main isn't going to change anything.

"Daddy never loved me, but Pentax does!" Uh huh. It's a multinational corporation dude. They exist to make money. You could DIAF for all they care if it makes a buck.

Read this:

OK1000 Pentax Blog: Pentax K-m/K2000 Designer's Notes: Masaaki Haga, Pentax Designer

So, I guess you need to be offended by Pentax

Todd

12-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #95
Banned

I just wonder what has been said by Pentax that would be the foundation for this?

Or, is it just simply supposition?

no supposition at all. take a look at these from Pentax Japan:

K-m : Imaging Systems Division : PENTAX
PENTAX K-m SPECIAL SITE / Report Hal
PENTAX K-m SPECIAL SITE ??????????????????????

Taken from OK1000 Pentax Blog:
OK1000 Pentax Blog

Asking Many Women Their Opinions

The ratio of DSLR customers is absolutely higher among men. But when it comes to an entry-level DSLR, women occupy a rather high ratio. Even if the customer is a man, in many cases he uses it with his wifes. Taking these conditions into account, we thought about women as an important demographic, and considered the design, operation and functions for them. I asked some women to use the current models and asked them to list the negative points from a woman’s point of view. I also asked other women to join in the internal brain storming.

We improved some operability details, too. The Mode dial is smoother compared to other DSLRs. This is because there are some women who have long nails who feel it's hard to operate the dial using both the thumb and the forefinger. We also heard that some said it was uncomfortable to let go with one of their hands when operating. So, we figured out how to rotate the dial by only their right thumb while holding the grip. It was easy to make it just a bit smoother, but there was a concern that the dial might be rotated unexpectedly, so the designer thought about the location and the mechanical designer arranged some samples with different resistances to check the acceptable load. This issue is just a tip of the iceberg, but we got over many issues to make K-m (K2000) as easy as possible.

Myself, I worked on the Optio 750Z and Optio SV after being assigned to the product planning division. But these products already had some direction when I joined. After that, I was engaged in market research and technical development search with the development team. So, the K-m (K2000) is my first camera to work on from the very beginning till the end. I would say I feel very satisfied with all the new functions and the new operability I had hoped to see from the beginning.

the K-m is most certainly marketed towards women. despite that I now have one and love it, its very small and lightweight. a great replacement to my k110D as a street photography camera.
12-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #96

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
Even if the customer is a man, in many cases he uses it with his wifes.
Oh noes. Wifes? Think I'm'a sell up before I get more than one, one is just fine thanks!
12-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #97
Ed in GA

Thanks, I had not seen these.

12-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote

So, I guess you need to be offended by Pentax

Todd
It's not about the marketing -- companies do all kinds of demographic research, it's about the comments that characterize the marketing as some kind of emasculating subversion of Pentax. There's been more than a few comments with regard to the intended gender for the camera -- as a denigrating attribute to Pentax' direction. They aren't engaged in a dry discussion of demographics and market share.
12-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #99
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Tighearnan Quote
Oh noes. Wifes? Think I'm'a sell up before I get more than one, one is just fine thanks!
Japanese translation, what can you say?
12-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #100
Veteran Member

The Wives love it? Not Mine

My wife loves the K20D because its feature rich. The idea that she wants a colorful or in reality a colorless camera instead of imaging performance undersells her & the ladies who own and use K20D already.

K-m : Imaging Systems Division : PENTAX
PENTAX K-m SPECIAL SITE / Report Hal
PENTAX K-m SPECIAL SITE ??????????????????????

Taken from OK1000 Pentax Blog:
OK1000 Pentax Blog

Asking Many Women Their Opinions

The ratio of DSLR customers is absolutely higher among men. But when it comes to an entry-level DSLR, women occupy a rather high ratio. Even if the customer is a man, in many cases he uses it with his wifes. Taking these conditions into account, we thought about women as an important demographic, and considered the design, operation and functions for them. I asked some women to use the current models and asked them to list the negative points from a woman’s point of view. I also asked other women to join in the internal brain storming.

We improved some operability details, too. The Mode dial is smoother compared to other DSLRs. This is because there are some women who have long nails who feel it's hard to operate the dial using both the thumb and the forefinger. We also heard that some said it was uncomfortable to let go with one of their hands when operating. So, we figured out how to rotate the dial by only their right thumb while holding the grip. It was easy to make it just a bit smoother, but there was a concern that the dial might be rotated unexpectedly, so the designer thought about the location and the mechanical designer arranged some samples with different resistances to check the acceptable load. This issue is just a tip of the iceberg, but we got over many issues to make K-m (K2000) as easy as possible.

Myself, I worked on the Optio 750Z and Optio SV after being assigned to the product planning division. But these products already had some direction when I joined. After that, I was engaged in market research and technical development search with the development team. So, the K-m (K2000) is my first camera to work on from the very beginning till the end. I would say I feel very satisfied with all the new functions and the new operability I had hoped to see from the beginning.

the K-m is most certainly marketed towards women. despite that I now have one and love it, its very small and lightweight. a great replacement to my k110D as a street photography camera.
12-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #101
Pentaxian

To Cambo and all others who don't like the camera...... you do know you don't need to buy it, right?

I think there is nothing wrong with a colored camera and I rather like the idea of a white Pentax. I plan to buy it and enjoy it. It will be a nice extra camera that I can share with my wife.

Take cars for example... Let's say I think black cars look best, and yet they come in all sorts of colors. Should I have the same reaction as all of you? What color is your car? What about your TV, Microwave, Washer, Toothbrush? Do you own anything in a color other than black?

This entire topic is beyond silly and pointless. If you don't like something, then don't buy it. It's that simple. There is always something for everyone and someone for everything. This may not for you, but I'm sure it will sell well enough to justify its production.

Rather than post here for a few days about why you hate white, why not go out and use your cameras and post something you think looks better. No need to keep this up for days. Now, lets enjoy some photos.

12-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #102

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
It won't match ANYTHING.

Sincerely,
Cameron
Who cares. If it takes good photos and is user friendly to the target market and helps Pentax stay alive, then that's all I'm concerned about.
12-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I think it's a good move to get people interested in the product. Who else makes a white or colored dSLR? Nice to see Pentax with another First. I for one know if I never had what I do now and was just venturing into photography and I saw X company being a little creative as if to say "Hey, we're different, check us out" I'd be poised to consider Pentax.

As séamuis said, it's who this camera is marketed toward and I think it does just that. I'd be tempted to have one if it had a few more features, would make a nice wedding camera.

Canon's marketing with Avril Lavigne is dead on for a large aspect of younger people. I've worked in a call center for over 4 years and the average age has dropped to about 22 I would say. Over that time I've seen the type of people hired change, basically a generation shift, and I'm only 26. I talk to a large portion of those working there and quite a few are new into photography or already have or are thinking about purchasing an SLR. The whole punk, skateboard, urban, what ever you want to call it look and attitude is back and Avril Lavigne or anyone dressed the same would pull off the add just as well. Times have changed, film SLR's are gone to the wayside and a large portion of young consumers are out to express his/herself and be creative, DSLR's allow one to do that. My K100D and my computer are about the only 2 pieces of electronics I use daily, that's not so for the rest walking around w/MP3 players, laptops, high end phones and the need for the newest piece of electronics.
12-18-2008, 03:18 PM   #104
Veteran Member

i like the white

finally a camera thats not black!

if you want to talk horrible, how about that cheap plastic on the earlier canon and pentax film cameras, along with the FA* lenses

now THATS a bad paintjob

bright white (assuming it wont peel) is very refreshing!
12-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #105
Banned

QuoteQuote:
My wife loves the K20D because its feature rich. The idea that she wants a colorful or in reality a colorless camera instead of imaging performance undersells her & the ladies who own and use K20D already.
first of all its all a matter of opinion. just because its marketed towards women doesn't mean that this is what all women want. also this is marketed towards those who are just entering the world of SLR's not those who are well established and using a flagship model. it undersells nobody and your point of view is ridiculous in my opinion. you are looking at it all wrong. secondly, the K-m has excellent image performance, likely better than the K10D seeing as how its the same (tweaked) 10.2 CCD found in the K10D and the K200D. you make a foolish assumption that simply because they made a (in your eyes unneeded) cosmetic change that the camera has suffered in performance. this is not so, if the K-m white suffers, then so does the K-m/K2000 black. and we all know this isn't the case.

this is getting ridiculous.