Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: I am totally disgusted by the K2000W's crass marketing ploy because it's...
totally embarrassing... 2133.33%
masqueraded as a technological innovation on all the major photographic sites 1320.63%
so obviously targeting children and teeny boppers at Christmas... 1930.16%
completely butt-freaking ugly 1930.16%
they are so far behind technologically they shouldn't be wasting resources on this 2336.51%
ALL OF THE ABOVE - THIS IS HUMILIATING, PENTAX!!!! WTF ARE YOU DOING???? 3657.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2008, 04:24 PM   #106

Don't know if this guy is seriuos, or joking. Never the less, he gave me a good laugh
Possible to paint D80 camera body white? After seeing the Pentax k2000 in white...,: Nikon D90 - D40 Forum: Digital Photography Review

Chill guys It's just a camera.

This is going to be my only contribution to this thread. Now, where is my ignore user button?
I'm just kidding, but this has gone way out of proportions.

Last edited by Fototim; 12-18-2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Added a sentence to avoid insulting anybody
12-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
YOU must be their target market... I can think of nothing more freaking ghastly or tacky. It won't match ANYTHING.

And by the way, in case you hadn't noticed, I was insulting Pentax and their lack of taste and innovation, not you personally or your country, you moron. Shall we start a diatribe on all the good stuff the US has done to the world in the last 8 years?

Sincerely,
Cameron

Seriously Cameron, there are far more important things to worry about than the color of a camera..Why does this bother you so much? lol
12-18-2008, 06:01 PM   #108
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AlbertSiegel Quote
To Cambo and all others who don't like the camera...... you do know you don't need to buy it, right?

I think there is nothing wrong with a colored camera and I rather like the idea of a white Pentax. I plan to buy it and enjoy it. It will be a nice extra camera that I can share with my wife.

Take cars for example... Let's say I think black cars look best, and yet they come in all sorts of colors. Should I have the same reaction as all of you? What color is your car? What about your TV, Microwave, Washer, Toothbrush? Do you own anything in a color other than black?

This entire topic is beyond silly and pointless. If you don't like something, then don't buy it. It's that simple. There is always something for everyone and someone for everything. This may not for you, but I'm sure it will sell well enough to justify its production.

Rather than post here for a few days about why you hate white, why not go out and use your cameras and post something you think looks better. No need to keep this up for days. Now, lets enjoy some photos.

I like that picture a lot...almost Pentax-red. Well shot! The rest of you, take this wise mans advice: use your cameras instead of this. Been shooting with my KX and BW film today and the M28/2.8 and K135/2.5 and M50/2, much more fun than this thread. Black version of KX that is. They never made it white, pink, gold or with crocodiles skin. But it works well anyway.

Seriously, this poll is immature. The way the alternatives are phrased, the absence of a non-of-the-above alternative or a possibility to say that we like it, or that we don't care, to have six alternatives all bashing this camera is a misuse of the poll function of this forum. Something similar could have been fun if made with a bit of sarcasm, but it is not my impression that it was the purpose. The only thing I read out of this is anger out of proportion. For what we know this may have been a ploy and a joke from Pentax. As some people mentioned Pentax has a history of these sort of things (like the very expensive limited serie of designed K-m's with red patterns and crystals on it, or all the golden cameras). Shows that they are not totally harnessed by Hoya yet.

Then if we talk camera functionality, the obvious is that the only really bad option would have been a transparent body that let in light from all directions (yes I know there has been some transparent bodies for demonstration purposes). Personally, I would be really tempted if they made it Pentax-red, with the Pentax letters in black on the red.

...wait, now I get it! It is meant for camouflage when you shoot polar bears. Those bastards are fast as hell and on Svalbard alone they eat a tourist every second year and a scientist every second (or so I heard). So you don't want them to spot you. But then I would need a matching white DA*300!

(Green land sea 1991, Pentax Program-A, Tokina 400/5.6, Fuji 400 ISO slides, scanned on a crappy flat bed scanner eons ago, but still a polar bear...and it is white)
12-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #109

I agree, what the hell Pentax?!?!

Why are you expanding your market share!?! I am in the prosumer market you currently target and therefore that's the only market that matters!!! In fact, I AM THE MARKET. ME. I DRIVE YOUR COMPANY.

I don't want a stupid toy for a camera, when I pull my camera out of my bag I want people to say:
"Excuse me sir, you can't take photos here." or
"Excuse me sir, who/what are you taking photos for?" or
"I'm sorry sir, I'm going to have to ask you to leave the premises."

If you weren't so busy wasting time trying to make your business profitable, we could have had the DA*60-250 f/4 or the DA*30mm by now!!1!

Better yet, if you didn't have your entire engineering and R&D staff hand-pouring white plastic into the preexisting molds for the cameras and lenses you are already producing, maybe they could go back to developing a FF camera or a 645D!!

You know what, forget Pentax. I'm going to buy a D3X.

12-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #110

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirivon Quote
I agree, what the hell Pentax?!?!
You know what, forget Pentax. I'm going to buy a D3X.
Off you go...Nothing to see here. Move along. Mod can we please kill this worthless thread/poll.
12-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclingshooter Quote
Off you go...Nothing to see here. Move along. Mod can we please kill this worthless thread/poll.
Wow, really? ..really?

::cough::

I figured that suggesting a D3X would be taken as quite "A Modest Proposal."
12-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #112
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Think Different. Look Different. Worked. Boring black cameras. Time for a change. Rememebr when the first iMac came out in "Bondi Blue"? And the iPod in white? Who's laughing now.
12-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #113
Pentaxian

When I first started considering a digital camera it took a 3 Hour travel to physically put a hand on a K20D , not because it was new but rather Pentax DSLR's are not available in my area. Pentax needs a Walmart camera. I honestly couldn't care if they made their cheap crappy camera in pink zebra stripes as long as they kept the quality and durability in the upper end cameras. Too many people confuse quality with popularity and Pentax has lost a huge market share to the other guys because of name brand recognition issues.Hey here's an idea , lets make a Walmart camera in orange with green polka dots , then take the increased profits and bring down the cost of * series lenses!By the way this is coming from a 20+ year ( recently gone digital , recently gone Pentax ) Canon F-1 , A-1 shooter. Marketing is marketing but Quality stands on it's own . It would have been easy to buy a Canon or Nikon DSLR but I had to work to get the K20D. And just so there is no mistake , I am insinuating that Walmart sells cheap disposable crap and is part of what's gone wrong with the American economy. I personally refuse to spend money there , but if Pentax can increase profit in that market maybe we could buy some high end stuff for a little less. Let them sell a white camera and hope that better glass will become available at a lower price.

12-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #114
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
When I first started considering a digital camera it took a 3 Hour travel to physically put a hand on a K20D , not because it was new but rather Pentax DSLR's are not available in my area. Pentax needs a Walmart camera. I honestly couldn't care if they made their cheap crappy camera in pink zebra stripes as long as they kept the quality and durability in the upper end cameras. Too many people confuse quality with popularity and Pentax has lost a huge market share to the other guys because of name brand recognition issues.Hey here's an idea , lets make a Walmart camera in orange with green polka dots , then take the increased profits and bring down the cost of * series lenses!By the way this is coming from a 20+ year ( recently gone digital , recently gone Pentax ) Canon F-1 , A-1 shooter. Marketing is marketing but Quality stands on it's own . It would have been easy to buy a Canon or Nikon DSLR but I had to work to get the K20D. And just so there is no mistake , I am insinuating that Walmart sells cheap disposable crap and is part of what's gone wrong with the American economy. I personally refuse to spend money there , but if Pentax can increase profit in that market maybe we could buy some high end stuff for a little less. Let them sell a white camera and hope that better glass will become available at a lower price.
You are on to something there. Pentax used to have a K-mart/Sears camera and its name was K1000. It is now legendary.
12-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #115
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Think Different. Look Different. Worked. Boring black cameras. Time for a change. Rememebr when the first iMac came out in "Bondi Blue"? And the iPod in white? Who's laughing now.
You are right. I've now shown this to several women and all absolutely loved the look of this camera. No one said anything about it getting dirty etc. All said if they were buying a camera, this would be at the top of the list.
12-19-2008, 01:13 AM   #116
Veteran Member

Interesting...

I found this. Holga does white.

Holga White 120 GCFN Medium Format Camera
12-19-2008, 01:16 AM   #117
Veteran Member

personally, i would really like that white k-m, and it's kit lenses.
it would be hilarious to see the face of my canon friend seeing me with white L lens.