Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: I am totally disgusted by the K2000W's crass marketing ploy because it's...
totally embarrassing... 2133.33%
masqueraded as a technological innovation on all the major photographic sites 1320.63%
so obviously targeting children and teeny boppers at Christmas... 1930.16%
completely butt-freaking ugly 1930.16%
they are so far behind technologically they shouldn't be wasting resources on this 2336.51%
ALL OF THE ABOVE - THIS IS HUMILIATING, PENTAX!!!! WTF ARE YOU DOING???? 3657.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
I agree with many here. I'll admit that I was very disappointed at first. A white cheapo camera with white lenes? Then I started to think about it....Pentax is trying to reinvent itself. Trying to get the new DSLR user. You do that by doing things that might not seem cool to us, but it builds a brand loyalty. Why are we here? We like Pentax because of the great results. So all they are trying to tap into new people.

Once they get new people, some of those people will want something better as their skills increase. With a bigger base, Pentax will benefit. They will sell more. The more they sell, the more money they make, then more money for R&D. The more money in R&D, the sooner we'll get the next big camera for us. Full frame, more FPS, better AF, you name it.

How does Canon sell so many cameras? They sell the cheapo Rebels and offer the big pro cameras and people think they are getting a pro camera. They feel like toys, but people don't care because of the name on the body. The next step for Pentax is to offer a much better DSLR. Which I think is coming.

Like something you see on the sidelines of an NFL game. White lenes? Hmm, there sure does seem to be a lot of those on the sidelines now. Now when a mom buys this camera with a white lens, she'll think she buying into a pro system. Pentax needs to get this in the stores and market it big time for this idea to take hold. Make these new people proud, like us, that they own a Pentax.

Using Canon for the white lenes, sure, but who cares. They're trying to build a new base. Let's just be patient, let it run it's course and we'll all get what we want. I hope.

12-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Why does the thread starter have to start two threads on the same topic?
Perhaps the mods can merge the threads.
12-16-2008, 10:26 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Or delete one of them.. lol
12-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #34
Damn Brit

It will be a useful second body camera. Heck, you'll be able to set your WB on the body.

12-16-2008, 10:36 PM   #35
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-m white is limited edition camera like K200D silver. It's simple marketing move. Not bad.
I don't see any problem at all...
Calm down...

Be responsible! K200D and K20D are only 10 months on the market, K-m is only 1 month.
Who waited new camera NOW? Nervous fans???

All new cameras will be shown close to March, 2009.
12-16-2008, 10:43 PM   #36

I can't believe 11 people voted for #5. If you think Pentax sucks, why do you have one? IMO it is the best bang for the buck. Hell, plastic comes white. You have to dye it to make it black. If that makes them technologically behind... ummm???
Why don't you back your Captain and sell some of these cameras? Every one you sell will put money into research for your next better camera. I'm sure your post here isn't helping your cause at all. You might as well be cleaning your fingernails with a pencil.
I vote; "none of the above"
12-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #37
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
and embarrasingly butt-ugly to boot. WTF? I thought the whole idea was to get people to take you seriously...

One of the STUPIDEST moves they've ever made, and they should have just announced it when they brought the cheap camera out, not made a big deal out of it like this, like it's some major technological innovation coming out. Is this in response to Canon with their stupid ad campaign with Avril Lavigne? That's absolutely ridiculous as well. WTF is she doing with a camera taking pictures of herself? Arrogant stupid little *****, and even stupider ad campaign. Oh, I see, target the kids at Christmas...wow, how original.

Force your brain to work. And hush, dear, hush....
Why don't you howl and cry that there is K200D silver?

If Pentax make, for example, 5000 of K-m white, I'm sure that all will be sold very quick...

IT'S ONLY LIMITED PRODUCTION camera for february 2009 - try to memorize it!!!

White K-m looks good and to use such camera is very good for hot and tropical countries...
And it's very fine in women hands...

Last edited by ogl; 12-16-2008 at 11:01 PM.
12-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #38
Damn Brit

It will be useful for people wanting to take it to concerts and events. It won't be mistaken for a pro camera.
12-16-2008, 10:55 PM   #39
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
White K-m looks good and to use such camera is very good for hot and tropical countries...
And it's very fine in women arms...
I would agree. This would be great in a hot area. Plus they are trying to stand out. I bet this will appeal to the Apple iCamera crowd and to women.

I think it's a good idea to try something different. Plus for the street shooter this would be hardly noticed. Add a Silver limited 31/43/77mm and you have a great street system that no one will see you using.
12-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #40
ogl
Banned

If they can offer limited edition white limited pancakes - DA21, 40 and 70....
It would be cool...
12-16-2008, 11:11 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Ok, its later in the day, and I'm starting to come around with this whole white camera thing.

I don't think I'm up to the point where I personally would want one, but I am starting to see that this might be a good idea.

In a store display, it would really stand out and get noticed. It will also really help "non-camera" people remember what camera they were looking at.

And if it brings more people to Pentax thats good. I would also expect that there will be photos and talk about it all over the internet and magazines.

In a world full of black sheep, being the one white sheep is a sure fire way to be noticed.

Pentax...Be the black sheep...err.. white sheep...be interesting.
12-16-2008, 11:15 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kei Quote
As long as it sells and still has the original black available I don't care what colours they made it into. The worse thing is I'm not going to buy one.

Of the few months I bought my k200d I haven't even bump into more than 5 Pentax dslr shooters so far (may be I haven't go out enough??). So a Pentax and "limited edition" camera will be harder to see than actually spotting the Big Foot .

Maybe Discovery channel will add it to their UFO/Ghost/Sasquatch/Chupacabra...etc hunting shows. Or better yet it will become an urban legend and show up on Mythbusters.
12-16-2008, 11:31 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I don't see the problem with it. As others have said it is a limited edittion and aimed at a specific market. Maybe not me but that doesn't mean it won't sell. They also released the news on a slow press day, so it got big coverage.

How many of you tried the video game? Very old school.
12-16-2008, 11:55 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I didn't read all the other responses...but shouldn't there have been an option for "not disgusted"? I might not buy it for myself but I don't think it's such a bad idea considering the target market.

I do find the timing a little odd. It's not like people can buy it for Christmas...unless they're hoping to convince folks to wait two months instead of bringing home a boring-a** Digital Rebel.
12-17-2008, 01:06 AM   #45
Forum Member

Once you go black...

I think that this is definately trying to hit a nitch market. Pentax is trying to get its name out to the Y generation who's identity is in their style of fashion. They should have a catch phrase like, "This isn't your grandpa's Pentax, but it can still shoot like one."