Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 171 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2022, 10:03 PM   #136
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I can’t see myself taking one to some of the ‘grungy’ places I take my primary camera to.
I can't see why. It isn't that extravagant in terms of design or price. This camera will be just as durable as a regular K-70.

And it isn't even expensive really. A standard KF with the DA 18-55mm costs 138,800 yen on the Ricoh store, so when you consider you are getting a better lens and a strap, it looks like good value already. That's before you even consider the customizations that TKO has added to this model.

All these limited camera models that Pentax comes out with are very much designed to be used, and I've seen people using them over here. Sure, you want to take care of them, but they are not designed to be kept in the box or on a shelf.

12-10-2022, 07:25 AM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I can't see why. It isn't that extravagant in terms of design or price. This camera will be just as durable as a regular K-70.

And it isn't even expensive really. A standard KF with the DA 18-55mm costs 138,800 yen on the Ricoh store, so when you consider you are getting a better lens and a strap, it looks like good value already. That's before you even consider the customizations that TKO has added to this model.

All these limited camera models that Pentax comes out with are very much designed to be used, and I've seen people using them over here. Sure, you want to take care of them, but they are not designed to be kept in the box or on a shelf.
It is expensive to me - I already have a KP, and one working camera {a KP} is enough, and I already have a K-30, Q-7 to back it up in case of problem. I might purchase a properly-price improvement.
12-10-2022, 09:19 AM   #138
Pentaxian

Will there be one up here in Whitney?
12-10-2022, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It is expensive to me - I already have a KP, and one working camera {a KP} is enough, and I already have a K-30, Q-7 to back it up in case of problem. I might purchase a properly-price improvement.
But that's irrelevant. Normally, one wouldn't say "I don't see myself using the camera" if the reason is that they don't see themselves buying the camera in the first place. If I had need for a K-70/KF as a backup, I'd most likely buy this version, because it's much prettier and it costs less than the regular KF with the same lens.

12-10-2022, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
But that's irrelevant. Normally, one wouldn't say "I don't see myself using the camera" if the reason is that they don't see themselves buying the camera in the first place. If I had need for a K-70/KF as a backup, I'd most likely buy this version, because it's much prettier and it costs less than the regular KF with the same lens.
IMO you're wasting your time but I completely agree of course.
12-10-2022, 11:32 AM   #141
Pentaxian

My cameras 'live hard lives". My K-30 basically looks new but I damaged the top of the KP during the first year I owned it. The top of the flash unit was broken somehow when I took it out of my bag one day. I "stabilized" it with a product called "Gorilla Glue", but it will never look the same even though it works OK. I already back it up with my Q-7 {which I used to take the photo below} and K-30, so I would gain nothing from purchasing a K-70, regardless of how it looked, so I will make another purchase from Pentax only if I gain something. At the end of my career, I discovered that I think as a Western engineer {hardware or software} - the tool's use to me is based on the utility I gain from it, not its apearance. I would gain no utility from any K-70, so I would spend my money on any KF/K-70 only if my KP stops functioning. Incidentally, I accidentally glued the flash down, but that is OK; I use flash only indoors, using either the Q-7 or the K-30.

Last edited by reh321; 12-10-2022 at 11:42 AM.
12-13-2022, 02:38 PM   #142

To prove your point: I saw an original K3 in gunmetal silver on the used market recently, almost 300k shutter count, 300 euro I guess, not expensive for a used K3, but still a bit of a bet to buy it at that shutter count.

There's still some jet black K3iii cameras on stock in camera stores here in Europe. Price is basically the original K3iii release price. I just use my cameras and have small kids, so if I would buy one it won't be in collectors condition for long. I will wait a bit to see how funds are next year and maybe make the jump

02-26-2023, 01:16 PM   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Like the reports and updates.
Hoping to go next week.
How was your visit?
03-06-2023, 06:45 PM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
How was your visit?
Sorry for the late reply.
I posted a comment in the more recent Clubhouse thread.
03-12-2023, 04:22 AM   #145

Sure would be nice to get this kind of engagement in the states.
07-17-2023, 10:17 PM - 12 Likes   #146

This morning I called by the Pentax Club House to have the sensor on my K3 III cleaned and wanted to share my experience. Firstly, I arrived a little early, and given the oppressive heat in Tokyo today, the staff let me wait inside before the official opening. I dropped off the camera, had a coffee, and after 45 minutes, it was all done.*

Along with the sensor cleaning, the service also includes a general operation check, cleaning of the mirror, viewfinder screen, mount contacts, and exterior body, and they will also update to the latest firmware if need be. The price is very reasonable at 3300 yen ($25 USD). The staff member also cleaned the lens and did an operation check on my Pentax DA 20–40mm, which was a nice touch.

They will clean the sensor for free if the camera is still under warranty. Overall, a very professional service.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
07-17-2023, 11:30 PM - 2 Likes   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ongaku99 Quote
Along with the sensor cleaning, the service also includes a general operation check, cleaning of the mirror, viewfinder screen, mount contacts, and exterior body, and they will also update to the latest firmware if need be. The price is very reasonable at 3300 yen ($25 USD). The staff member also cleaned the lens and did an operation check on my Pentax DA 20–40mm, which was a nice touch.
That is a whole lot for only 25 USD.

I could spend a good hour watching the storefront alone. Well inside, they probably would have to carry me out at closing time. Envious of the Tokyo Pentaxians that have this treat to visit.
07-18-2023, 01:05 PM   #148
Pentaxian

...Along with the sensor cleaning, the service also includes a general operation check, cleaning of the mirror, viewfinder screen, mount contacts, and exterior body, and they will also update to the latest firmware if need be. The price is very reasonable at 3300 yen ($25 USD). The staff member also cleaned the lens and did an operation check on my Pentax DA 20–40mm, which was a nice touch...
That would be worth it at twice the price! I'd love to have access to that service.
07-18-2023, 03:11 PM   #149
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

They will clean the sensor for free if the camera is still under warranty. Overall, a very professional service.
They cleaned my K3iii sensor and tightened the lens mount for free when I was there earlier this year. I also got to meet one of the senior team members involved in camera development, who asked me about my experience with the K3iii.

PS I had been getting issues with the connection between the K3iii and HDDA*16-50 PLM. The much lighter HDDA 55-300 PLM was fine. No problems since the adjustment.
10-26-2023, 12:35 AM   #150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Snakeisthestuff Quote
Thanks for the insights on that event.
I wonder what happened to that wide angle large aperture DFA star lens on the road map.
The online meeting (where they will talk about the clubhouse, Katen custom image and "only a tiny bit" about the future products) will be held tomorrow, the event already reported is the grand opening of the clubhouse.
I wonder what was told about the wide angle large aperture DFA ★ lens in the online meeting.