Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2022, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In designing the firmware for the K-3iii, Pentax has also shown their understanding of the wealth of the old lenses they have out there.
Yes, and after experiencing how that wealth of old lenses translate into sales of Pentax K3 III and DFA21 for a period of six months, Ricoh concluded that they have to restructure the camera business.

The last events organized by Ricoh, the SLR photographers' meeting open to non-Pentaxian attendees, and the last marketing videos from Ricoh about photographers using both mirrorless and Pentax SLR, show that Ricoh figured out that they have to bring new customers from outside the group of Pentaxians. It seems that Ricoh now understand the challenges they are facing.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-01-2022 at 09:59 PM.
06-01-2022, 11:24 PM   #47
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote

Pentax announced a new facility in Tokyo for communication with customers. The exact opening date is not mentioned, but it says "in summer".

This is basically a replacement for the Ricoh Imaging Square locations that have been closed. It's interesting that this one is specifically for Pentax, so it would seem that other Ricoh products such are GR are not included.

The functions of the Club House are:
- Exhibition / sales of products centered on PENTAX
- Service center (inspection / repair reception of PENTAX products and repair reception of products handled by Ricoh Imaging)
- User lounge (experience use of PENTAX products, magazines, photo collections )
- Used as a place to disseminate information such as online live that connects with users from all over the world digitally
- In addition to the above, product history exhibits by theme are also planned.

This is basically what used to be done at the Shinjuku location, although they mention a that it is a new concept. From the CG renders, it looks a bit smaller, but a refreshed design over the old location.

Here is the announcement:
In Japanese: ???????????????PENTAX???????????????RICOH IMAGING
In English via Google (be aware of the limitations of auto-tralsation): Google Translate

And the good thing is it's on my way home from work.
This is very very cool!
06-02-2022, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #48
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The strict GR/Pentax split into different venues is interesting. Obviously they have different brand values but as a Pentax and GR user I feel they have a lot of similarities (beyond shared tech) but perhaps they largely don't have the same users.

Two venues could just be the result of different users and the advantages of being able to curate exhibitions and events without the other brand 'interfering' with visuals, design cues or people. Perhaps they are aiming for a lot of activity so that scheduling both brands wouldn't work.
The word “split” assumes the two brands were together in the first place. It’s worth me explaining the history of these showrooms.

Ricoh always had a showroom in Ginza, Tokyo. That was known as “Ringcube”. Pentax has their location in Shinjuku, Tokyo. Even after they were both given the name “Ricoh Imaging Square”, the Ginza was still mostly the GR one, and Shinjuku still had a strong leaning toward Pentax.

Ginza was closed a couple of years ago, but the GR III has done just fine without it. I guess they decided a venue is a waste of money. If you want to try a GR, you can easily find it in a store. They tend to do user events on location, like photo walks.

Pentax on the other hand has more items to actually display in the store. So the new location should be seen as a separate location. Pentax does more sit-down events like seminars and presentations.

It’s interesting what Ooku says about separating the marketing teams, but it has always seemed like different people were involved in the marketing of Gr and Pentax. So I feel it is more like formalising something that was already effectively the case.
06-02-2022, 04:16 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes, and after experiencing how that wealth of old lenses translate into sales of Pentax K3 III and DFA21 for a period of six months, Ricoh concluded that they have to restructure the camera business.
Objection, speculation!

06-02-2022, 04:17 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax on the other hand has more items to actually display in the store. So the new location should be seen as a separate location. Pentax does more sit-down events like seminars and presentations.
I failed to consider that it's a kind of shop/showroom. Thought about events and exhibitions.

Pretty obvious now that you mention it. The GR product showcase would fit in a telephone booth

Would look pretty funny in a large room.
06-02-2022, 10:21 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Objection, speculation!
I've heard about a Pentax re-launch. Objection, spec.... ulation! Two words are too less. What are the specs? Please tell us what you know.
06-02-2022, 11:04 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I've heard about a Pentax re-launch.
Objection, hearsay!

Let's stick with the known facts, Ricoh announced increased sales for the Pentax and GR lines, and they're indeed re-launching these brands rather than restructuring the camera business (the latter having a negative connotation).
It's a positive thing.

06-02-2022, 11:40 AM   #53
Pentaxian

That video explains it clearly (about the show rooms and other things):
06-06-2022, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #54
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I found a couple more renders from different angles on Twitter.

It does look like a nicer space than the old one from these images, especially since the greenery you can see out the windows that it is not in a basement like the old one was.
06-07-2022, 04:33 AM   #55

Unfortunately there is a very large absence of Pentax sales points in North Africa, totally in Morocco 😔
06-07-2022, 04:53 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Y.goussyra Quote
Unfortunately there is a very large absence of Pentax sales points in North Africa, totally in Morocco ��
I believe that is true world-wide, and they are moving to more of a ‘mail-order’ model.
I purchased my last four Pentax camera bodies - and all my lenses over the same seven years - via ‘mail order’.
07-03-2022, 10:28 AM   #57

Ask for a K1 MarkIII with 100MP and settle for 50-60 MP....definitely focusing with eye focusing wold be nice...and I'd be happy it it happens within 2-3 years, but by then it what would be necessary is 60-100 MP!
07-04-2022, 02:06 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found a couple more renders from different angles on Twitter.
It does look like a nicer space than the old one from these images, especially since the greenery you can see out the windows that it is not in a basement like the old one was.
Where on twitter?
And have you visited the new Club already?
07-05-2022, 03:38 AM   #59
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Where on twitter?
And have you visited the new Club already?
It isn’t open yet, so no I haven’t been yet. We just have the one press release with the artist’s impression and the knowledge that it will be somewhere in the vicinity of Yotsuya, Tokyo. I guess it is being fitted out as we speak.

In the meantime Pentax has been doing events at other locations, including a two-day event at a rented space in Fukuoka last weekend. I guess there will be a bigger announcement on the website and some inaugural events when the Yotsuya site opens.
07-05-2022, 04:22 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I believe that is true world-wide, and they are moving to more of a ‘mail-order’ model.
Moving full online/mail order model is what was predicted by management gurus during the internet bubble , around year 2000. Unfortunately, in reality , the move to online sales was progressive, slow, and with disparities depending on products. Staying in bricks & mortar retail happen to have given a market share advantage for the brands of cameras that could afford to keep the old retail model. Selling cameras online only is more cost effective, no doubt about it, but photographers who aren't familiar with Pentax cameras can't see , touch and try what they want to buy, they usually won't select a Pentax if Pentax is absent from the camera shop.

---------- Post added 05-07-22 at 13:27 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
Ask for a K1 MarkIII with 100MP and settle for 50-60 MP....definitely focusing with eye focusing wold be nice...and I'd be happy it it happens within 2-3 years, but by then it what would be necessary is 60-100 MP!
I've been one of few asking for a higher megapixels cameras. Now, purely for printing large, more megapixels on same size sensor with the same lenses is questionable. Unfortunately, the choice of medium format digital is rather limited or over-priced. FF 100Mp may only deliver the desired resolution with sharp fast prime lenses .