This is the adress:

〒160-0003 東京都新宿区四谷本塩町4−8 パーシモンビル 1f
Google Maps
PENTAX?????? | RICOH IMAGING

07-30-2022, 06:05 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
By the way, I am going to be able to attend this online meeting after all. It's probably best to keep expectations low, but I'm hoping for an update to the lens roadmap. Since they have now delivered the crowdfunded strap and K-3 III, they could start the next round of products. They won't actually release a product on a Sunday, when the press aren't working.
They don’t have to actually release anything, but a hint of what is to come would be nice.
Every morning I check the “news on rumors” just in case anything was announced or teased while I slept.

BTW - when is the regular work week in Japan?
On which days should we not expect anything to happen?
07-30-2022, 06:13 AM - 13 Likes   #93
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went to the Club House today.

Due to COVID concern, only 10 visitors were allowed to stay inside, and only for 30 minutes. The first 10 visitors went in at 11AM (I was among them), came out at 11:30, at which point the next group of 10 went in.

It was very nice to be able to talk to Pentax people like Wakashiro san and TKO. They offered some stories regarding memorabilia (e.g. Wakashiro san told me that the leather for LX gold edition is supposed to be crocodile but this specimen that was rescued from North American branch office has cow leather and probably that was the feature of gold edition LX for North American market.), we talked about cameras, I complained a bit about marketing effort in North America (or lack thereof esp. something to engage the users compared with Japan). I wore a Pentax Forums T-shirt that I designed (https://pentaxforums_shirts.creator-spring.com/listing/pentax-pentaprism-2021-shirt), so we talked about that too.

Oh, Pentaxians' Yearbooks (The PENTAXIANS Yearbook) were featured there, Wakashiro san said that a Pentax Forums member in Japan brought them in.

This is a small place, but 30 minutes was absolutely too short.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
07-30-2022, 10:10 AM   #94
Pentaxian

^ Cool! Hopefully they start expending their efforts more outside of Japan as well.

07-30-2022, 10:35 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Like the reports and updates.
Hoping to go next week.
07-30-2022, 11:27 AM   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
I wore a Pentax Forums T-shirt that I designed (https://pentaxforums_shirts.creator-spring.com/listing/pentax-pentaprism-2021-shirt), so we talked about that too.
I'm sure it was appreciated!

Have you asked "the question", i.e., have you asked if and when we'll see another product release from Pentax?
I hope we won't have to wait for a K-1 III that long anymore.
07-31-2022, 02:38 AM - 9 Likes   #97
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New 100mm macro is coming.

I've just attended the online event. This is a short report about the "just a bit about new product" part.

That new product was the new DFA 100mm macro (exact model name wasn't revealed) to be released in 2022, which was a total surprise. The lens is not on the roadmap yet but will be on the new roadmap.

They already had a sample image (sorry, forgot to take screenshot), they showed side-by-side comparison of the new and the old, and the reduction of purple fringe in the new one was very impressive. The designer (O-ishi san) said that he personally wanted to improve the purple fringe of the current DFA 100mm macro and started working on the new design using his spare time (yes it's the new optical design!!), apparently that was the start of this new lens. It will be an HD lens. Expensive glass material is used, and the price will be "a bit" higher than the current model.

Many asked about K-1III in the chat window but no discussion or even mention of the development status of new body.

07-31-2022, 02:56 AM   #98
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
The designer (O-ishi san) said that he personally wanted to improve the purple fringe of the current DFA 100mm macro and started working on the new design using his spare time (yes it's the new optical design!!), apparently that was the start of this new lens.
Haha that's incredible. Pentax really is like a small workshop. I've had a feeling it's a bit like that and I think it's potentially very good for Pentax if they can pick up on employees ideas like that. Will continue the quirky but interesting trend.

I'm also a critic of the DFA100 purple fringing and happy to see them sorting it out. If they keep the size similar to the old one it will be a great lens. Will be interesting to see what barrel design it gets. I guess it can't be limited style unless it's a limited these days. The DFA100 was always the odd one out.

Last edited by house; 07-31-2022 at 03:14 AM.
07-31-2022, 03:38 AM - 2 Likes   #99
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the report kwb! I was also watching and the renewal of the 100mm was the only concrete news they had to share in the event. It is still f2.8.

Just in addition to what kwb said, Ohashi-san said he prioritized keeping the size down. They had the current one and new one in their hands and the new kens has the same shape. The markings were hidden so we can't see what kind of AF mechanism is used.

I also thought the illustration of reduced PF was pretty convincing. In fact, the 100 Macro is a lens I don't have but have thought seriously about a few times. I guess I'm a potential customer for this.
07-31-2022, 03:52 AM   #100
Pentaxian

It's quite odd thought that of all lenses they could bring out they decided to renew the DFA100. Their lineup strategy has always seemed a bit chaotic but this is even more so. It's as if they produce any lens their research comes across that perform well. They don't set a spec they need for the line up and work it until it performs. Again this makes life as a Pentaxian more interesting but it makes for a strange lens lineup.

Interesting that they may re use a DFA100 style barrel.
07-31-2022, 04:43 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
It's quite odd thought that of all lenses they could bring out they decided to renew the DFA100. Their lineup strategy has always seemed a bit chaotic but this is even more so. It's as if they produce any lens their research comes across that perform well. They don't set a spec they need for the line up and work it until it performs. Again this makes life as a Pentaxian more interesting but it makes for a strange lens lineup.

Interesting that they may re use a DFA100 style barrel.
I figure it's a combination of R&D not taking super long, giving a bit of freedom to the engineers to work on passion projects on the side, and the DFA 100 being a well-loved lens that sold pretty decently.
07-31-2022, 04:48 AM   #102
Pentaxian

Nice. I'm not in the market for a 100mm macro, but it's still good news they'd release (at least) a new non-accessory product in 2022.
And a 100mm macro is quite an important lens in the line-up.
07-31-2022, 07:07 AM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’d bet the last run of DFA100 macros is about sold out, so the combination of a good seller and dwindling inventory makes it a winner.

I have to admit I was hoping for the 70-300ish tele zoom

-Eric
07-31-2022, 10:47 AM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I’d bet the last run of DFA100 macros is about sold out, so the combination of a good seller and dwindling inventory makes it a winner.

I have to admit I was hoping for the 70-300ish tele zoom

-Eric
100mm is an awkward length for me; even in “FF” it is too long for landscapes, and even in “APS-C” too short for many animal photos I take. I suppose I could use it on a “Q”, where it would give basically the same view 300mm gives me on “APS-C”. No thanks for now; I’ll wait and see if any future camera bodies interest me.
07-31-2022, 10:48 AM - 3 Likes   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
100mm is an awkward length for me; even in “FF” it is too long for landscapes, and even in “APS-C” too short for many animal photos I take.
It's not awkward as a macro lens. Which it is.