Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2022, 11:13 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
That new product was the new DFA 100mm macro
Hah! Ricoh Imaging surprises us again. The current DFA 100mm Macro already is well-regarded, so I would think the new one will be enticing. I have several macro lenses (DA 35 Ltd, SMC Macro Takumar 50; Tamron 72B 90/2.8) but I might be interested in the new DFA.

I'm amused that the designer was working on it in his 'spare time'. That's dedication. I used to manage R&D lab groups, and some of the researchers would work on their 'bootleg' projects after hours (I think ), often with beneficial results that led to official funding.

I wonder whether Ricoh Imaging will announce the lens formally, soon.

- Craig

07-31-2022, 11:20 AM - 2 Likes   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
100mm is an awkward length for me; even in “FF” it is too long for landscapes, and even in “APS-C” too short for many animal photos I take. I suppose I could use it on a “Q”, where it would give basically the same view 300mm gives me on “APS-C”. No thanks for now; I’ll wait and see if any future camera bodies interest me.
Eh? 90-100mm is about the sweet spot for portable macro lenses; shorter focal length gets you very close to the subject at 1:1 magnification, and while longer FL obviously gives you more working distance, it also means the lens will inevitably be larger. It's also a fantastic length for portraits, and there are many older macros in this range where excellent macro sharpness meets delicious rendering (Two very well-known 90mm f/2.5 examples are the Tamron model 52B and Tokina AT-X, a.k.a. "Bokina". There's also the Voigtlander 90mm and 125mm SL lenses, or... you know, the very much loved Pentax DFA 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR ).

Honestly, I might be interested, depending on the rendering. The current one I don't really like enough to warrant substituting my Tamron, and it's gonna be competing with the DFA21 for funding, but who knows...
07-31-2022, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
there are many older macros in this range where excellent macro sharpness meets delicious rendering
Nicely said!

Honestly, I might be interested, depending on the rendering. The current one I don't really like enough to warrant substituting my Tamron, and it's gonna be competing with the DFA21 for funding, but who knows...
I know what you mean. A lens pops up suddenly on the LBA radar, then we're thinking, hmmm.... maybe I need this one... So many lenses, so few Euros/Dollars/Pounds, etc.

- Craig
07-31-2022, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Hah! Ricoh Imaging surprises us again. The current DFA 100mm Macro already is well-regarded, so I would think the new one will be enticing.
The hidden message is that the current D FA 100mm macro is not good enough for the next Pentax FF DSLRs.
This new lens isn't made for the K-1.

07-31-2022, 02:24 PM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The hidden message is that the current D FA 100mm macro is not good enough for the next Pentax FF DSLRs.
This new lens isn't made for the K-1.
Sorry but the DFA100 is problematic on the K-1 already. You really need subjects unlikely to produce purple fringing which is a bit of an issue.

It's a nice lens for subjects without strong highlights though.
07-31-2022, 06:05 PM - 4 Likes   #111
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The new macro is now on the roadmap.

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf

By the way, this is just an iPhone shot from the screen, but even here you can see the huge reduction in PF they are claiming for the new lens.

Last edited by JPT; 07-31-2022 at 06:11 PM.
07-31-2022, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #112
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the picture and the roadmap! When they showed that comparison, many were typing おお!! or "ooh!!" in the chat. Same pronunciation, same meaning, different language.
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The new macro is now on the roadmap.

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf

By the way, this is just an iPhone shot from the screen, but even here you can see the huge reduction in PF they are claiming for the new lens.

08-01-2022, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really Ricoh could put a phone on a camera and that would be the future rather than putting a camera to a phone as phone manufacturers do. With huge mobile phone form factors anyway and the little relative cost of hardware of basic smart phones nowadays (you can buy a $100 basic smart phone with the internals of flagships 4 years ago) it wouldn't be far off. It will open the lucrative phone market for camera manufacturers. Phone manufacturers can do this if they can buy the tech and if they do it would be the end of all camera manufacturers. That is where mirrorless is heading to anyway. Imagine an MX1 or Ricoh GR that you can call, text, surf and email with. Just ranting ideas off my head..
08-01-2022, 08:10 AM   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ghosteclipse Quote
Really Ricoh could put a phone on a camera and that would be the future rather than putting a camera to a phone as phone manufacturers do. With huge mobile phone form factors anyway and the little relative cost of hardware of basic smart phones nowadays (you can buy a $100 basic smart phone with the internals of flagships 4 years ago) it wouldn't be far off. It will open the lucrative phone market for camera manufacturers. Phone manufacturers can do this if they can buy the tech and if they do it would be the end of all camera manufacturers. That is where mirrorless is heading to anyway. Imagine an MX1 or Ricoh GR that you can call, text, surf and email with. Just ranting ideas off my head..
A GR with a phone would be less useful to me than a iPhone 13 would be - at least an iPhone 13 has 3 prime lenses.
08-01-2022, 08:12 AM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
A GR with a phone would be less useful to me than a iPhone 13 would be - at least an iPhone 13 has 3 prime lenses.
You can crop the GR lens to whatever telephoto length the iPhone has and it will look better anyway
08-01-2022, 08:20 AM   #116
Pentaxian

You can crop the GR lens to whatever telephoto length the iPhone has and it will look better anyway
In your opinion - it isn’t worth it to me to argue the point.
I won’t spend my money on a GR ….. it has no value to me ……. punct.
08-01-2022, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Cool! Hopefully they start expending their efforts more outside of Japan as well.
They have Pentax Stores in Paris and Moscow.

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Like the reports and updates.
Hoping to go next week.
Let us know your impressions

Here are more images:
https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1428451.html
https://capa.getnavi.jp/news/412201/

Last edited by angerdan; 08-01-2022 at 11:34 AM.
08-01-2022, 08:08 PM   #118

I have a K-1 Mk II and a K-1 and a K-3 and never had any purple fringing issues with my D FA100/2.8 Macro.This lens is always in my bag for my quick grab macro shots. Interesting development. I guess I should see if I can make my copy fringe purple.
08-02-2022, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #119
mir
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A youtube clip of the opening event can be found here:

There are some rare special items almost ended in the bin when Pentax USA moved to a new place. Luckily an employee discovered them an send them to Japan :-)
08-02-2022, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mir Quote

There are some rare special items almost ended in the bin when Pentax USA moved to a new place. Luckily an employee discovered them an send them to Japan :-)
I'm so upset about that... they were supposed to drop all that stuff at my house

With all of the disruptions Pentax has had in the past dozen or so years, I imagine there is a lot of history that has vanished...

-Eric