Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 171 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2022, 06:41 PM - 20 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Club House to open in Yotsuya, Tokyo

Pentax announced a new facility in Tokyo for communication with customers. The exact opening date is not mentioned, but it says "in summer".

This is basically a replacement for the Ricoh Imaging Square locations that have been closed. It's interesting that this one is specifically for Pentax, so it would seem that other Ricoh products such are GR are not included.

The functions of the Club House are:
- Exhibition / sales of products centered on PENTAX
- Service center (inspection / repair reception of PENTAX products and repair reception of products handled by Ricoh Imaging)
- User lounge (experience use of PENTAX products, magazines, photo collections )
- Used as a place to disseminate information such as online live that connects with users from all over the world digitally
- In addition to the above, product history exhibits by theme are also planned.

This is basically what used to be done at the Shinjuku location, although they mention a that it is a new concept. From the CG renders, it looks a bit smaller, but a refreshed design over the old location.

Here is the announcement:
In Japanese: ???????????????PENTAX???????????????RICOH IMAGING
In English via Google (be aware of the limitations of auto-tralsation): Google Translate

And the good thing is it's on my way home from work.

Last edited by JPT; 05-29-2022 at 07:17 PM.
05-29-2022, 08:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Wow, do they have the discontinued DA 560 on the shelf!?
05-29-2022, 09:38 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I think that's actually a baseball bat... you know, in case any other-brand photographers should try to gain entry...
05-29-2022, 11:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think that's actually a baseball bat... you know, in case any other-brand photographers should try to gain entry...
That would be the Sony typical warrior mentality. Pentax people mentality is actually the most modest and open of all brands (beside being defensive when being attacked or intentionally forgotten). I've always be willing to listen, take a look at other's cameras and give positive comment when approached by Canon users, Nikon users proud of their newly acquired gear. However, when I tried to show them my Pentax, I was surprised by their response. One Nikon fan, after I praised his D850, I showed him "my modest Pentax K1" and he immediately replied "that's complete s**t, you should throw this away and get yourself a real camera, a Nikon". Another colleague from work, he showed me his newly acquired 5DIV, I said "Wow, you have here a great camera", then I wanted to show him my Pentax DA limited (how small these lenses are) he replied "no, thank you, I have no interest in such lenses". Only once I discussed with a Canon employee (marketing/sales) at a wildlife photography meeting and he said "yes, Pentax makes good cameras", I was surprised, then we discussed about AF settings, and he explained to me how AF tracking works and how to set my Pentax (based on what he knew from Canon).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-29-2022 at 11:56 PM.
05-29-2022, 11:55 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That would be the Sony typical warrior mentality. Pentax people mentality is actually the most modest and open of all brands (beside being defensive when being attacked or intentionally forgotten). I've always be willing to listen, take a look at other's cameras and give positive comment when approached by Canon users, Nikon users proud of their newly acquired gear. However, when I tried to show them my Pentax, I was surprised by their response. One Nikon fan, after I praised his D850, I showed him "my modest Pentax K1" and he immediately replied "that's complete s**t, you should throw this away and get yourself a real camera, a Nikon". Another colleague from work, he showed me his newly acquired 5DIV, I said "Wow, you have here a great camera", then I wanted to show him my Pentax DA limited (how small these lenses are) he replied "no, thank you". Only one I discussed with a Canon employee (marketing/sales) and he said "yes, Pentax makes good cameras", I was surprised, then we discussed about AF setting, and he explained to me how AF tracking works and how to set my Pentax (based on what he knew from Canon).
I was joking, biz You'll know from many of my previous posts in these forums, I'm generally positive about all brands and their users. You'll also know that - in addition to Pentax - I'm a Sony user... and it's not my mentality. How about we extend that famous modesty and openness to all brands, eh?
05-30-2022, 12:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

How about we extend that famous modesty and openness to all brands, eh?
Usually, the openness is greatly influenced by the nature of the venue. Photographers tend to be more relaxed at photography oriented events, and more defensive in brand specific forums. Now just look at that: https://youtu.be/xPd0N_pW614?t=135
05-30-2022, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Usually, the openness is greatly influenced by the nature of the venue. Photographers tend to be more relaxed at photography oriented events, and more defensive in brand specific forums. Now just look at that: https://youtu.be/xPd0N_pW614?t=135
LOL I opened that link, took one look at the title frame and description, saw it was yet another "camera vs camera" / "brand vs brand" face-off review or opinion piece, and immediately closed it. Such content is the photography equivalent of DailyMail online... specifically designed to whip folks up on both sides of unnecessary, unwinnable, subjective arguments and set them against each other - to generate views and comments.

Anyway... back to the OP's post. I like the look of this Pentax Club House... though I'll admit I always thought PentaxForums performed that role

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-30-2022 at 12:26 AM.
05-30-2022, 12:39 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Anyway... back to the OP's post. I like the look of this Pentax Club House... though I'll admit I always thought PentaxForums performed that role
In Pentaxforums you can't have a glenmorangie and a cigar while trying out a camera or lens. So far, computer display technology hasn't evolved yet, even with AI, to have a small waiter pooping out from the back of the display for serving a whisky.
05-30-2022, 12:44 AM - 1 Like   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

In Pentaxforums you can't have a glenmorangie and a cigar while trying out a camera or lens. So far, computer display technology hasn't evolved yet, even with AI, to have a small waiter pooping out from the back of the display for serving a whisky.
Japan does produce some very nice single malts these days...
05-30-2022, 12:48 AM - 2 Likes   #10
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The announcement doesn't specify the exact building this is in, but Kimio Tanaka had commented on his Twitter that it is a few minutes' walk from Yotsuya Station.

Yotsuya is actually a great location because a few major lines go through it and it is easy to get to from the East or West side of Tokyo (unlike the previous location Shinjuku, which is clearly better for people in the west). Also, it's a more chilled out area of the city, with fewer people crowding the streets and more of sophisticated, academic feel.

Looking at the design, I feel sure it was done by TKO, who aside from the J-Limited cameras also designed the Osaka Imaging Square a few years back. I say this because of the huge vertical PENTAX lettering, and the rather classic looking "Pentax Club House" text on the front glass. Massing around with non-standard fonts is something he likes to do. I can just imaging a few shiny J-Limiited cameras sitting on those display shelves at the front.

It is also significant that this is Pentax only. Apparently, they will accept GR and Theta products at the repair counter, but it will not be for promotion of GR/Theta products. Tanaka seems to imply there is some reason for this. Perhaps there will be another location, or perhaps they just want to draw a very clear distinction between the brands, which is a trend that he been going on for. while in their online stores and packaging design.

I had noticed a slow-down in events recently. They had a run of events earlier in the year, but nothing in the last month. his might be the reason - they've been waiting for this venue to be ready. If the site is open in summer, that should be in time for a certain important camera introduction that I think is coming in autumn.
05-30-2022, 12:54 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It is also significant that this is Pentax only. Apparently, they will accept GR and Theta products at the repair counter, but it will not be for promotion of GR/Theta products. Tanaka seems to imply there is some reason for this. Perhaps there will be another location, or perhaps they just want to draw a very clear distinction between the brands, which is a trend that he been going on for. while in their online stores and packaging design.
Without wishing to appear negative (which isn't my intention), I wonder if Ricoh is trying to put some separation between the brands, in case they should ever wish to spin Pentax off as part of a restructuring and/or sale. Pentax-focused efforts such as this "club house" allow them to push the brand independently in a very positive manner, but if the DSLR business should become economically untenable in future, it allows them to address that without affecting their Ricoh brand...
05-30-2022, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #12
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Without wishing to appear negative (which isn't my intention), I wonder if Ricoh is trying to put some separation between the brands, in case they should ever wish to spin Pentax off as part of a restructuring and/or sale...
It"s possible, of course. But they did also move GR production into the same factory as Pentax, which seems like an odd thing to do if you want to separate them.

A couple of years ago, Ricoh did a survey about the brand value of Pentax and GR. I refrained from writing about this because I knew it would be misrepresented if I posted about it online. It could have been taken as "OMG! Ricoh is thinking about selling/shutting down Pentax!" But of course it wasn't.

A few months after that, the Pentax Principles were announced, and the more distinct branding separation became evident in the separate Pentax/GR websites and so on. It's notable that when there is an event, it is either Pentax of GR and not a mix of both. I also think that the staff who work on the design and marketing of each are different.

I think they are basically trying to create a clear identity for the two brands, and perhaps have some healthy competition within their organization.
05-30-2022, 02:22 AM   #13
Pentaxian

to separate GR from pentax? in terms of sales it seems to me that they are still together in a new division. This seems to me the most significant data. The GR is a very sector camera, and it is truly unique. I don't think it competes internally any more than it is with any other brand other than those that produce compacts. It also seems to me that the GR III has benefited a lot from the technology coming from Pentax, and in fact it has greatly improved its strength in image quality.

we hope that one or two new lenses can also be presented for the opening.

However, I am happy to see what they announced materialized. The usual baleful rumors had already pointed out that they were closing shops in Japan, without saying anything that in reality they were a relocation
05-30-2022, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Of course not, the 560 was discontinued. What you see at the lens counter is the new Pentax HD DFA 600 f/5.6 that weight only 1.65kg. On the left side under the glass closet, I can see my new Pentax K1 mk 3 with its 101 AF points and 101 Mpixels sensor, exactly what I've requested, which is cool .
Well, joke aside, the picture is obviously just a computer model of what the show room will look like.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-30-2022 at 04:41 AM.
05-30-2022, 05:53 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking at the one photo, it seems as though the club house may be frequented to by ghosts. Pentax, where the invisible captures the visible.

Without wishing to appear negative (which isn't my intention), I wonder if Ricoh is trying to put some separation between the brands, in case they should ever wish to spin Pentax off as part of a restructuring and/or sale. Pentax-focused efforts such as this "club house" allow them to push the brand independently in a very positive manner, but if the DSLR business should become economically untenable in future, it allows them to address that without affecting their Ricoh brand...
I think Pentax has more value to Ricoh than it would to any other investor at this point. I suppose if they got to the end of the line, they could sell the name to some Chinese company who would then sell knock off MILCs under the same name, but it seems like Ricoh has some interest in the history and legacy of Pentax and the K mount that few others would have.