Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What do you think about the new K2000/K-m in white?
Great idea, I have to get one! 134.10%
Nice idea, I might add such a design to my collection one day. 7122.40%
I won't buy it, but I embrace that it will attract new customers. 18157.10%
It might sell out to trendy girls, but as a photo enthusiast and Pentaxian I feel embarrassed. 4112.93%
Pentax is digging it's own grave! Nobody will buy such a DSLR. 113.47%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2008, 04:11 AM   #1

A fair K-m white poll

As the new K-m seems very controversial, I just wanted to add a serious poll to see how good/bad the acceptance really is.

12-17-2008, 05:48 AM   #2

I don't think that it will attract many new costumers, people will just buy the black one if they are interested in it since the limited white edition will probably cost you 200 usd/euro more while those costs are not justified.
12-17-2008, 05:50 AM   #3
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I don't think that it will attract many new costumers, people will just buy the black one if they are interested in it since the limited white edition will probably cost you 200 usd/euro more while those costs are not justified.
I believe the limited white version comes only as a kit and costs only 50 USD more than the black.
12-17-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eh, compared to some other crazy color schemes I've seen, that's pretty cute, actually. Beats fake chrome, anyway.

I can see a pretty big potential market for this one: characters from 80's TV for one:

Colonel Deering from Buck Rogers,
Michael Archangel from Airwolf
Hawk from Spenser For Hire, err...
Boss Hogg....

Anyway, I think part of the idea might be to compete for what the Lumix G1 and Micro Four Thirds mount cameras are going for, they've got some pretty sharp-looking colors (Which I wouldn't care for myself, like, well, most special colors.)

Still, this is the big innovation all the rumors were about? If it helped put me in a K20d, well, OK.

Oh, yeah, though, there's another good place for white cameras:

Space! Think about it.

12-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm surprised by the negative reaction of people who produce images and should strive for originality. And now something breaks the mould and it becomes awful, ugly, etc. I liked the G1 colors, at least we can have something that breaks uniformity. I like the white K-m, it's at least much more beautiful than the plastic silver (silver is only good with metal IMHO).
12-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The more I look at it, the more stylish it looks.

We'll have to wait and see how it sells. I don't have a problem with Pentax appealing to pop fashion to sell cameras.
12-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #7

I want one of them but as Kx0D or KxD.

Looks so awesome.
12-17-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Initially I was kinda unsure what to make of it, but my wife (who is a marketing professional) tells me that it may actually be a great idea to market an entry level camera this way.

If Pentax can win market share this way, their budget for higher level developments will increase as well, so we will all benefit from it! Well... at least our LBA might...

Wim

12-17-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I want one in a nice pearlized magenta or pink color like my wee Panasonic FX01 which has the coolest color and finish on it than any camera I've ever owned. If I had a pink dslr, I don't think I'd have to worry about someone clunking me over the head to steal it. Well, not that I worry about that anyway but...
I wouldn't touch white with a ten foot pole though. I don't even buy white clothes, too fussy.
12-17-2008, 08:58 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
I want one in a nice pearlized magenta or pink color like my wee Panasonic FX01 which has the coolest color and finish on it than any camera I've ever owned. If I had a pink dslr, I don't think I'd have to worry about someone clunking me over the head to steal it. Well, not that I worry about that anyway but...
I wouldn't touch white with a ten foot pole though. I don't even buy white clothes, too fussy.

I don't know if id go for pink. I have a Pink Microsoft Zune, and although its really cool and well to be honest quite cute. I don't think it would work so well on a DSLR. then again, apparently neither does white.
12-17-2008, 09:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Damn... and here I had only just gotten over the pretentiousness of an all black camera ...

woof!
12-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Like the PC, cameras are slowly accepting the power of design to shift units. Cameras are in use by people of all ages and walks of life, why not market to that?

The fact is, when I first took my shiny new DSLR outside, looking every bit as pro as a pro, I felt self concious because I really didn't know what I was doing. I'd have rathered had a camera that screamed amateur, I could have lived with that.

With the DSLR market becoming mainstream, so too the flavours of DSLR will grow. This is not foolish of Pentax, its clever to take advantage of any foothold not already over crowded by other makers.
12-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Damn... and here I had only just gotten over the pretentiousness of an all black camera ...

woof!
What's pretentious about that? The only reason I think chrome ever caught on is cause, when it's made of actual metal, it wears better. (Though sometimes it's also very pretty)

In general, I tend to applaud creativity, though I have to admit that my idea of 'colorful' makes 'sedate' like garish.

Someone out there must like taupe. Never really expected to be one of them. I think with the Lumix G-1, the only thing there is their designs really just look so nice in black it seems terrible not to have one like that.
12-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

The poll results are almost a perfect bell curve, interesting. As far a color goes, I know of another all makes all models all black consumer item, remember the old model T car? When autos first came out in colors, everybody said that they wouldnt sell...

NaCl(just a thought)H2O
12-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, if the sh*t storm it created here is any indication - it's sure to attract some attention from buyers other than us. It will be like a marshmallow in a cup of coco when grouped together with the competition... Sure to attract some attention, especially from women that think it looks cute like my wife.

-Brian