Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2022, 11:09 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
meh... interesting idea but I don't like the fact it's only limited to specific lenses., creating/targeting a specific group of users in an already niche environment (Pentax in general.) I'm definitely not going to go out and buy any of those lenses for this (though I have the FA 21 on my wish list.) Plus you can do this in post. There's tons of similar simulations in NIK Effects.

06-23-2022, 11:18 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
meh... interesting idea but I don't like the fact it's only limited to specific lenses., creating/targeting a specific group of users in an already niche environment (Pentax in general.) I'm definitely not going to go out and buy any of those lenses for this (though I have the FA 21 on my wish list.) Plus you can do this in post. There's tons of similar simulations in NIK Effects.
I assumed I had none of the lenses either, but after looking at the list... Surprise! My 35 macro and Da15 are both there.

I thought I also still had the 20-40 but sold it for the 12-24 now that I'm kinda remembering.
So yeah it's not restricted to the new expensive lenses.

But that may be beside the point anyway. The update for the K3III apparently has a lot more included than just those seasonal looks based on the size of the K1 version of it.
06-23-2022, 11:23 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I assumed I had none of the lenses either, but after looking at the list... Surprise! My 35 macro and Da15 are both there.
I had missed the HD 35mm Macro on the list. I've got that one and others on the list, so I could work with the autumn, winter, and spring modes.

The update for the K3III apparently has a lot more included than just those seasonal looks based on the size of the K1 version of it.
Please let us know if you discover any improvements!

- Craig
06-23-2022, 11:24 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Well, after saying I would wait to update I decided to at least look. The K3III one is 5 times the file size of the firmware update for the K1. Obviously, there's "other stuff" included, perhaps significant and perhaps not.
Or simply more expansive code and more graphical data together with the code due to programming over higher level OS. Software code never stopped to inflate, using more and more memory to do the same things (less memory efficient).

06-23-2022, 11:27 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I'm almost always using DNG so this doesn't impact me but it looks like Ricoh did this feature in an overly complex way. Some modes only work with some lenses and no lens can access all 4 modes. It's impossible to compare all 4 modes using 1 lens
We don't yet know that for certain.

While the current Summer one for the HD DA21 and 15 "have been selected as the best partners for the KATEN mode because they optimize the intended visual effects of the mode", the other three seasons' lens candidates may change or expand from the currently stated selection.
Quote:" Lenses compatible with autumn, winter and spring Custom Images are tentative choices and may be changed later."

Anyway, this is simply one of those fun inclusions for those who own the lenses, and maybe a nudge to non-owners to consider having a closer look at the Limiteds. No harm. At least it makes it plainer that each of the Limiteds has a unique look, a different design intent than typical lenses.

Last edited by gatorguy; 06-23-2022 at 11:33 AM.
06-23-2022, 11:28 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
Plus you can do this in post. There's tons of similar simulations in NIK Effects.
You can do whatever styles you like in post, with a larger more comfortable display, but it can be time consuming, not everyone process images on computer, especially in Japan. Shooting OOC JPEGs also has merits, you can fully concentrate on the shooting process, no time spent on computer, what you get OOC is pretty good considering zero time spent on computer. I guess more photographers process their images on computer in US/EU.
06-23-2022, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I honestly don't like that they are making certain JPG profiles available for only some lenses... I'd like to try the KATEN profile on my lenses!

I mean, they already made the effort. Might as well put it out for every other lens, even if in the following updates.

06-23-2022, 11:44 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Considering this only adds Katen for a couple of lens and I don't see mention of improvements for anything else, Ill be passing on this one.
06-23-2022, 11:57 AM   #39
Pentaxian

The K3III one is 5 times the file size of the firmware update for the K1
With firmware you usually replace the whole thing. The file size of the firmware does not reflect the amount of change. The K-3 III firmware being larger is probably due to more or higher resolution graphical elements for the gui. Images always take up a lot of space.
06-23-2022, 12:10 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not really a serious point, but I can't help noticing that the most weather resistant lens only gets Spring and Summer usage for KATEN...
06-23-2022, 01:11 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
With firmware you usually replace the whole thing. The file size of the firmware does not reflect the amount of change. The K-3 III firmware being larger is probably due to more or higher resolution graphical elements for the gui. Images always take up a lot of space.
It's possible that's all it is. It's also possible for there to be more important fixes for the K3III that will improve the overall camera operation.

Last edited by gatorguy; 06-23-2022 at 01:26 PM.
06-23-2022, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

I don't plan to update, at least immediately, as I don't use those lenses anyway, and no current plans to. Now if the other K3III owners report some other camera improvements lumped in I'll jump in myself. Otherwise, I'm happy to wait for the next firmware version which will incorporate this anyway.
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I just wished the new "features" weren't only about an additional color profile.
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Please let us know if you discover any improvements!
Well, after saying I would wait to update I decided to at least look. The K3III one is 5 times the file size of the firmware update for the K1. Obviously, there's "other stuff" included, perhaps significant and perhaps not.
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Considering this only adds Katen for a couple of lens and I don't see mention of improvements for anything else, Ill be passing on this one.

They do say that the K3iii update brings "Improved stability for general performance."

On the other hand they make no such claims for the K1 or for the K1ii.

(As @Michaelina2 pointed out.)

Last edited by wadge22; 06-23-2022 at 02:02 PM.
06-23-2022, 02:04 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You can do whatever styles you like in post, with a larger more comfortable display, but it can be time consuming, not everyone process images on computer, especially in Japan. Shooting OOC JPEGs also has merits, you can fully concentrate on the shooting process, no time spent on computer
It would be nice to create your own favorites from the aid of a profiled system to then upload that preset into the cameras OOC JPEGS engine. It would also be nice for WB control when you are setting up the look of your image in difficult light temps
06-23-2022, 06:13 PM - 7 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

06-23-2022, 06:16 PM - 3 Likes   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The things people find offensive with are bewildering to me.
Some people are perpetually offended nowadays. I just don't understand that mindset.