Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2022, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One could chalk this idea up to Fuji with all of their Film simulations which mimic the effects of popular Emulsions Fuji has made over the years. Though the seasonal aspect is novel and interesting, I'm not sure that gating this feature so it can only be used with specific lenses is a rather odd move. I'm curious to if Pentax is aware that a considerable* proportion of the Pentax user-base shoot raw.

The only time I shoot JPG is when I'm doing time lapse work, and in any case I use the FLAT picture style to make the most of the dynamic range when I assemble the video in post.

* I'm basing this off poll statistics done on here and other sites.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-23-2022 at 06:57 PM.
06-23-2022, 07:58 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I'm curious to if Pentax is aware that a considerable* proportion of the Pentax user-base shoot raw.

The only time I shoot JPG is when I'm doing time lapse work, and in any case I use the FLAT picture style to make the most of the dynamic range when I assemble the video in post.

* I'm basing this off poll statistics done on here and other sites.
I'm not sure that is true of their users in Japan, which are unrepresented on this site.
I think Pentax is more aware of them than any of us are.
06-23-2022, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Camera markets are like babushka dolls, there are majorities and minorities in the whole gestalt and it is impossible to keep every element of the user base happy.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm not sure that is true of their users in Japan, which are unrepresented on this site.

A real shame we don't get much input from that particular corner of the Pentax user base, since they are more or less at the epicenter of where decisions are made.

It's interesting that in the realm of music instead of seeking fame and popularity in English speaking markets: a true measure of an artist or bands success can be measured in the impact they have in eastern markets where substantial language barriers exist.
06-23-2022, 11:02 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
It would be nice to create your own favorites from the aid of a profiled system to then upload that preset into the cameras OOC JPEGS engine. It would also be nice for WB control when you are setting up the look of your image in difficult light temps
You can do something very similar using DCU as your processing software initially.
As the program uses the same terminology as the cameras, any settings used in DCU will translate directly to the camera … just need to come to grips with the rather "unique" user interface in DCU

06-23-2022, 11:35 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
You can do something very similar using DCU as your processing software initially.
As the program uses the same terminology as the cameras, any settings used in DCU will translate directly to the camera … just need to come to grips with the rather "unique" user interface in DCU
Are you able to adjust curves among other things or are you limited to selecting just profiles in the camera like vivid , natural or portrait along with saturation, contrast

Here I have control over more than just the sliders found in the camera

Other things that can be created in custom profiles are files that more closely resemble how the camera records information within the raw file very useful for ETTR

On the left is the custom profile created to reflect how the raw file was recorded. this also shows in the histogram of the camera a more realistic representation of what a raw histogram would look like and when compared to what a raw histogram really looks like as seen on the right
06-24-2022, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

Hey, not fair! These season-scheduled releases are completely out of phase for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere.

Anyway, it works for the DFA 21 on both K3iii and K1. The 21 is the only lens I own on the supported list. I can't really test it at the moment though; too dark. KATEN is a pretty severe looking colour profile though.
06-24-2022, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Are you able to adjust curves among other things or are you limited to selecting just profiles in the camera like vivid , natural or portrait along with saturation, contrast
Check it out and see for yourself …

I'm not suggesting that you can replace all time spent in an all-singing all-dancing desktop program with a few in-camera adjustments, but if you can achieve the settings you require in DCU, which are far more extensive and comprehensive than being "limited to selecting just profiles", the settings can often be easily transferred directly to the camera, saved as a User Mode, and thereby save time later
If nothing else, you can use the transferred settings as an in-camera preview feature to see if a particular lighting/composition combination might "work" or if some subtle re-arrangement or re-positioning might improve things.

06-24-2022, 02:39 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here I have control over more than just the sliders found in the camera

Other things that can be created in custom profiles are files that more closely resemble how the camera records information within the raw file very useful for ETTR

On the left is the custom profile created to reflect how the raw file was recorded. this also shows in the histogram of the camera a more realistic representation of what a raw histogram would look like and when compared to what a raw histogram really looks like as seen on the right
DCU has a decent amount of capability. The biggest problem I had with it was that it was slower than Lightroom, but as far as editing RAW images, it seemed quite able to do the things you mention.
06-24-2022, 02:39 AM - 3 Likes   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Some people are perpetually offended nowadays. I just don't understand that mindset.
Yes, it seems that at least in the virtual domain people get excited and/or upset about everything.
Well, in this case Pentax is offering for free an additional option which may be usefull for some ... but they are not taking away anything from anybody. We still have what we have paid for and what we have (hopefully) enjoyed so far.
No reason at all to get upset ....
06-24-2022, 02:42 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Brilliant idea by Pentax, tapping into LBA for firmware treats - I suppose I should have read the thread, presumably 70/30 split with the 70 being angsty, world's end is nigh, how dare they?, etc, etc
06-24-2022, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Some people are perpetually offended nowadays. I just don't understand that mindset.
Yeah, this is beyond silly - and unrelated to the specific product, firmware or action these guys are taking offense at.
Perhaps it's just frustration at Pentax moving slowly. But it's unfair and counterproductive.

To those folks, if they happen to read this: Pentax isn't your slaves. Lashing them with a whip to work faster and "better" - for a random, ever changing definition of "better" doesn't work.
06-24-2022, 03:29 AM - 4 Likes   #57
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
While I think this is an odd idea, I don't see why it's causing so much consternation, mainly from people who probably use RAW the whole time anyway. It's not like this is coming instead of a K-1 III or any other product. That's a whole separate thing. I also think they have to be a bit careful about adding standard profiles. Who wants too scroll through 25 options? This one will only appear when the lens unlocks it.

I think Pentax probably doesn't realize how joyless and judgmental the international photography community is. They still have the naive belief that an original and fun idea might make users happy or even engaged enough to buy a new product.

Personally, I have a K-3 III and an HD DA15mm, so I'm updating my camera and taking it on a trip this weekend. I find the whole thing odd, but strangely exciting. I know I have at least three more updates coming in the next year. The last one will introduce a profile that will work with my DA 20-40mm lens. That somehow makes me feel validated in buying the K-3 III and positive about its future. Actually, it feels like "gamification" - like you unlocked some bonus in a computer game.

I notice that DPR has reported on this. Unless I missed it, they didn't report on the more significant Astrotracer firmware or GPS accessory. It seems they only report on Ricoh/Pentax stuff when they want to take a cheap shot, or trigger their commenters to do it for them.
06-24-2022, 03:44 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It's not like this is coming instead of a K-1 III or any other product.
But this is exactly how some people think. "Why have they done this, instead if (typically it's launching a full mirrorless line)?"
Someone on the DPR forum complained that the firmware update isn't worth $1300.

I notice that DPR has reported on this. Unless I missed it, they didn't report on the more significant Astrotracer firmware or GPS accessory. It seems they only report on Ricoh/Pentax stuff when they want to take a cheap shot, or trigger their commenters to do it for them.
I agree.
It's the same on their Pentax forum section, where several non-Pentaxian are constantly bashing the brand.
06-24-2022, 03:46 AM - 2 Likes   #59
Pentaxian

They still have the naive belief that an original and fun idea might make users happy or even engaged enough to buy a new product.
For me the idea of such stylish color profiles is great. I'd push the idea further to acquire my own color science knowledge and create my own color presets so that I don't have to rely on any camera brand. The advantage of DXO film pack is that you get hundreds of stylish color presets and you don't need to buy any limited lens for this.

---------- Post added 24-06-22 at 12:53 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Someone on the DPR forum complained that the firmware update isn't worth $1300.
If I was Ricoh marketing , I would add a 3 months timeout in camera firmware such that if you haven't connected all of the limited lenses within 3 months, your camera won't power-up

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-24-2022 at 03:54 AM.
06-24-2022, 03:54 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To be quite honest, adding options to the JPEG engine like this is not interesting at all for an all-raw shooter like myself. The idea might appeal to people who often (or even incidentally) shoot jpeg but then I'm wondering why these profiles are locked to specific lenses if jpeg profiles is all they are. But again, as long as they keeps their filthy handses off my preciousss PEF files, I'll survive.