Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2022, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Thank to let know. Weren't you asking for a low cost, 24Mpixels version of the K1 in the past? You probably changed your mind.
I have no expectation of their actually producing one.

06-26-2022, 01:42 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
This is a strange one. The latest firmware introduces a specific custom image to be used only with specific lenses.

New function-expansion firmware for PENTAX K-1, K-1 Mark II and K-3 Mark III cameras?RICOH IMAGING

The first one is summer themed and can be used with the K-3 III plus HD 14mm ltd or the the K-1 or K-1 II with the new 21mm ltd.

Interestingly, they are going to continue to release these on a quarterly basis, targeting different lenses search time. I guess the idea it’s encourage purchases of the targeted lenses.
I dig it. This can only be a win for us, it means they're keeping hands on the codebase, which can only be good for us! I'll have to check if they have any modes for my 70mm HD lens.
06-26-2022, 03:27 PM   #93

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Sigma Foveon cameras have don't need images to be demosaiced. And In any case Sigma uses horrid proprietary raw conversion software: If Sigma dropped their corporate egotism and adopted DNG, their users could change to better and more efficient workflows and be more competitive with other photographers.
at least sigma foveon's images are not mud!
earlier i used to think that it's a nature of _digital images_ - that lack of some element in vision - when no matter how much you zoom it's never completely clear, never real, surfaces look plasticky, everything somewhat fuzzy, distant forests or fine grass look like blotches of vomit. almost, almost there but never satisfactory.
yet film scans don't exhibit that, strange.
turned out it's the bayer sensor style cameras!

got a sigma foveon and case closed. no need for "full frame", no need for "firmware upgrades", no need to wait for something "better". it's just proper. no even a need to brag about their software which is for sure not for the faint hearted.
06-26-2022, 07:18 PM   #94

This particular item linked to a promotional page of the online store that required a code to reveal. I don’t feel like I have the right to just post the code so you can access.

You can get this email by signing up for a Ricoh Photo ID on the Japan store page. You need a Japanese address, I think.
Thank you for your information. Well, I didn't mean to get the code or something. I engaged in this thread just because pentexians in China react rather rashly to this update. And as one of them I'd like to bring more information to the group chat.

I tried the KATEN setting today, but the sky was a bit too misty to make it look good. Also, I’m truly rubbish with ultra wide lenses. I just can’t get used to composing with anything wider than the 18mm of the GR.
I saw the official samples and think to myself: this feels like a variant of the reversal film color mode.

06-27-2022, 01:15 AM   #95

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The GR III / GR IIIx firmware has almost the same size as the K-3 Mark III firmware (and three times the size of the GR II firmware), yet the former has no AE-sensor.

The size of the firmware is OS-related, not AF-related.
  • K-1 Mark II: 8,955 kB
  • KP: 9,108 kB
  • K-3 Mark II: 14,159 kB
  • K-3 Mark III: 30,799 kB
  • GR II: 8,537 kB
  • GR III / GR IIIx: 27,456 kB
I am pretty sure, that even that the GR III has no AE-Sensor it has a image parameterized Db for comparison. Using the full sensor, that should have a tendency to be even bigger.

I wrote "could". Could also be the OS. Could also be the impact of the touch screen. Could be that the new processors allow larger i.e. better raw to jpg software processing, ...

Who knows.
06-27-2022, 02:29 AM - 2 Likes   #96
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by detour Quote
Thank you for your information. Well, I didn't mean to get the code or something. I engaged in this thread just because pentexians in China react rather rashly to this update. And as one of them I'd like to bring more information to the group chat.
No problem. I was just not sure what I could point to as the source. Anyway, it seems like Pentatians everywhere have not been impressed with this idea, and that's true in Japan too.

QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
I wrote "could". Could also be the OS. Could also be the impact of the touch screen. Could be that the new processors allow larger i.e. better raw to jpg software processing, ...
Regarding this whole discussion, the firmware of the GR III and K-3 III are clearly a different generation to the previous cameras. They have a different look and feel, support for touchscreens, better wi-fi and seem to be based on some variant of Linux, while the prior ones were not specified. Anyway, newer software is nearly always designed on the assumption that more memory/storage is available.

There was a Japanese magazine interview last year where HIraku Kawauchi of Ricoh Imaging (Marketing/Pentax) talked about the new firmware being a "once in a decade" improvement. In fact, adding all the DSLR-specific parts to the existing GR III interface was a much bigger task than they anticipated and it was one of the reasons the camera didn't come out in 2020.

I have a theory about the master plan behind this new firmware base. I think it will be much easier to share software improvements between cameras when they are on the new firmware. For example, imagine that Ricoh makes a monochrome GR III sometime later this year. This has been rumored vaguely a number of times, and I tend to find it quite believable given the preferences of the GR market. They will have to develop the B/W image processing for it. Having done that, it would be relatively easy to port it over to any other future camera on the same firmware, such as a K-3 III, to make a special edition. Sound familiar? A crowdfunded monochrome K-3 III was one of the models they asked about in a survey earlier this year. The survey gave some details, including a proposed release date of 2023 (while the Astro K-70 option was sooner, in 2022). So my guess is a monochrome GR is coming - not through crowdfunding or anything like that - they're just going to make it as an additional model. This is the camera that will enable them to make K-3 III relatively easily, but not until 2023. Time will tell if this actually happens, and it's just my hypothesis.
06-27-2022, 03:18 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Using Linux should simplify networking, connectivity and such as it's used across devices and the software both mature and constantly improving. My guess is that it's one of the main advantages of using Linux. Should be easier to find programmers as well

06-27-2022, 04:40 AM   #98
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Using Linux should simplify networking, connectivity and such as it's used across devices and the software both mature and constantly improving. My guess is that it's one of the main advantages of using Linux. Should be easier to find programmers as well
The programming language chosen would have a much greater influence on ease in finding programmers.
06-28-2022, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This seems weird and useless to me. But I'll take the bug fixes.
06-28-2022, 09:44 AM   #100
cls

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
This seems weird and useless to me. But I'll take the bug fixes.
This.
06-28-2022, 02:32 PM   #101

Good to see they support the cameras with ongoing improvements, even if many of us may notuse some of the new features.
To me the Astrotracer type 3 is a big winner. What we really need is european video framerates: 25 and 50 fps, like my old K3.
06-29-2022, 01:07 AM   #102

Worst idea ever

Just one compatible lens per sensor, usefull only for jpeg shooters.

What's the next big thing ? filters for older people ? for a determined gender ? by countries like some rare pokemons ?
06-29-2022, 06:43 AM   #103

it would be disrespectful if they released the free update to all users and then prevented access. This just simply feels like they are giving a bonus if you happen to have a capable lens. maybe they didn’t have time to work on other lenses
06-29-2022, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by airjames Quote
This just simply feels like they are giving a bonus if you happen to have a capable lens. maybe they didn’t have time to work on other lenses
It looks like Ricoh are trying to sell some more limited lenses by providing some sort of incentive (jpeg style), if this is the intention , this may work somehow in Japan but unlikely to be effective outside of Japan/Raw shooters.

There is another possibility: Ricoh marketing trying to stir some controversial / emotional buzz in social media, via awkward strange seasonal releases of firmware updates, to save time while they don't have any new product ready to be released, and so that to keep the Pentax brand alive. Looks like the firmware release is successfully controversial, but I'm not sure about the side effects (such as losing confidence, or having the perception that Pentax marketing isn't very serious, depending on interpretation from customer to customer).

Any other idea?
06-29-2022, 07:00 AM - 2 Likes   #105
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It looks like Ricoh are trying to sell some more limited lenses by providing some sort of incentive (jpeg style), if this is the intention , this may work somehow in Japan but unlikely to be effective outside of Japan/Raw shooters.

There is another possibility: Ricoh marketing trying to stir some controversial / emotional buzz in social media, via awkward strange release of firmware update, to save time while they don't have any new product ready to be released to keep the Pentax brand alive.
Yeah, no IMHO, that's not a typical corporate mentality where controversy is to be avoided at all cost.

But that is something internet dwellers do, and TBH it's silly and unproductive even if it's become a "thing" for many of them. We could do with less stirring of the pot here on Pentaxforums.