Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 234 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2022, 03:08 AM   #121
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Pentax has decided to release things when they are done. As such, they don't really signal all of the things they are working on. If they released an updated DA *50-135 in the next six to nine months, I wouldn't be surprised at all, but they haven't said that such a lens is coming.
They haven't said the DA* 16-50 PLM was coming.
It makes sense: on the roadmap, they'd put the new lenses which don't directly replace existing ones. They know these would stay quite a bit on the roadmap.

But how would it be, "hey, you might want to stop buying that D FA 100mm WR you're eyeing right now, because we will have a replacement - 2022 or later"?
They simply don't want to tell us, years in advance, that they'd replace a certain lens.

08-03-2022, 03:50 AM   #122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Umm, no I don't think so. DOF is a combination of reproduction ratio at the sensor plane and aperture.
A 50mm lens used at f/8 at 5 feet will have the same DOF as a 100mm lens used at f/8 and 10 feet on the same format.

What will change is how much background is included. The longer lens will have a much narrower background.
While obviously the framing of the background will be narrower, the background blur/separation is exactly the same but with the Macro lens offering twice the DoF.

Please note I did compare a 50mm at F1.4 versus a 100mm at F2.8.

Check it yourself here:

https://dofsimulator.net/en/?x=EPoA4QD6AAAMJE9kAAAjlF6
versus
https://dofsimulator.net/en/?x=EH0AcQB9AAAMJE9kAAAjlST

The logic (for constant subject framing and looking at distant backgrounds) is always:
  • The background blur only depends on absolute aperture, here that is 35,7mm. So that stays the same between 50/1.4 or 100/2.8 or 200/5.6 or 400/11 or 800/22
  • But the DoF grows linear with the focal length, so the 100mm lens at F2.8 has twice the DoF and the 200mm lens at F5.6 has 4x the DoF - while offering the same background blur.
All combinations have their merit and use cases.

If someone wants a whole head "in focus" then a slower and longer lens might be a good choice.
08-03-2022, 04:00 AM   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Because of the nature of a macro-lens and more so of a 100mm/f2,8 such a lens has a long focus-throw. This means more mass to be moved.
If the new 100mm macro lens is going to be similar in size, I daubt it will be with a miniature-motor because those will have difficulties to move that focus-throw.
I believe that depends on the optical formula. Traditionally lenses are focused by moving the entire optical block back and forth, which can be a considerable mass to move. Newer lens designs sometimes move only a few, or one, optical elements for focus, thus reducing the mass that needs to be moved.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well... the Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 macro is $1046.95, the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8 L macro is $1299, and the Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 macro G is $1098 - B&H (street) prices.
Yep, macro lenses from the other big manufacturers are traditionally more expensive than their Pentax equivalents, not to mention physically much larger.
08-03-2022, 04:49 AM   #124
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I'm not sure keeping the lens at the same size would allow for internal focus, so the focus group will probably be more or less the entire lens .
A crazy idea would be designing a retractable internal focus macro lens. Small when not in use, and larger but not changing size when in use.
Not that I believe the new macro lens would be like this.

08-03-2022, 05:57 AM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I'm not sure keeping the lens at the same size would allow for internal focus, so the focus group will probably be more or less the entire lens .
Lets keep in mind that internal focus does mean fat focus breathing unless your construction actually is traditional focusing by extension in a housing / outer shell (just making the lens clunky with little to no benefits).
08-03-2022, 06:12 AM   #126
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Saying they don't care without any proof is very inflammatory, and disrespectful to all the employees. Please stop telling us how bad you think Ricoh/Pentax are..
Sound like you interpreted badly my writings. There is a reason for Pentax to stay with DSLR: not to compete head to head (what other brands are doing), and improve/continue to build the system at their own pace , what we are seeing, e.g improvement of the DFA100 macro latest rumor
08-03-2022, 06:35 AM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It makes sense: on the roadmap, they'd put the new lenses which don't directly replace existing ones. They know these would stay quite a bit on the roadmap.

But how would it be, "hey, you might want to stop buying that D FA 100mm WR you're eyeing right now, because we will have a replacement - 2022 or later"?
They simply don't want to tell us, years in advance, that they'd replace a certain lens.
I don't really think that it makes a difference in terms of sales for older lenses. With respect to the DA *16-50, I can't imagine that Pentax was selling large numbers of the original version. With this new 100 macro, there will still be plenty of people who buy the original version, while it is still available, simply because it is cheaper.

As long as Pentax doesn't announce anything, we can't really be too upset when it doesn't show up. On the other hand, when the DFA *70-200 was announced and almost released and then taken back to fix some issue (maybe the tripod foot? I don't recall) the level of angst was extremely high. Somehow Pentaxians can't remember past releases and instead focus on the gear that hasn't yet come out -- even if they don't plan to buy it.

08-03-2022, 06:48 AM   #128
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony and other camera companies also keep new replacement lenses close to the best until they drop into the market. The rumor mill starts a few months before release but nothing official is said until right before release typically.

I don’t think the lens roadmaps ever show the improved versions for the reasons already stated by others: they don’t want to harm existing stock sales and anger their dealers.
08-03-2022, 06:58 AM   #129
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
While obviously the framing of the background will be narrower, the background blur/separation is exactly the same but with the Macro lens offering twice the DoF.

Please note I did compare a 50mm at F1.4 versus a 100mm at F2.8.

And if you had specified aperture used rather than just mentioning a couple of random lenses, you wouldn't have required a follow up post.
08-03-2022, 07:01 AM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't really think that it makes a difference in terms of sales for older lenses. With respect to the DA *16-50, I can't imagine that Pentax was selling large numbers of the original version. With this new 100 macro, there will still be plenty of people who buy the original version, while it is still available, simply because it is cheaper.

As long as Pentax doesn't announce anything, we can't really be too upset when it doesn't show up. On the other hand, when the DFA *70-200 was announced and almost released and then taken back to fix some issue (maybe the tripod foot? I don't recall) the level of angst was extremely high. Somehow Pentaxians can't remember past releases and instead focus on the gear that hasn't yet come out -- even if they don't plan to buy it.
I can't say if it makes a difference or not, but I think I'm seeing this pattern about the roadmap.
The problem might be not buying the old version before the new lens arrives. That is, when the price won't be known - and people can assume it would be around the old version's, or whatever they want.

You have a point with people getting upset, too; as well as about people focusing on future gear they don't even plan to buy.
08-03-2022, 08:50 AM   #131
Pentaxian

(...).
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
(...)

I don’t think the lens roadmaps ever show the improved versions for the reasons already stated by others: they don’t want to harm existing stock sales and anger their dealers.
The HD Pentax-DA 16-50mm f/2.8 ED PLM AW has been more than two years on the roadmap:
  • first as DA Standard Zoom Lens (February 2019 - May 2020)
  • then as HD Pentax-DA 16-50mm f/2.8 (May 2020 - February 2021)
  • then as HD Pentax-DA 16-50mm f/2.8 ED PLM AW (from February 2021 until its announcement on the 15th of July).
08-03-2022, 09:00 AM - 6 Likes   #132
Pentaxian

Back to topic: a screenshot showing the new lens (on the right), courtesy of CAPA Camera Web.

開発中の新マクロレンズとカスタムイメージを初公開!「PENTAX ミーティング オンライン 2022 夏」レポート | CAPA CAMERA WEB

08-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm surprised at how similar this new 100 macro is styled to the existing version. Ricoh/Pentax must think they really stuck the landing on the styling of the existing lens.
08-03-2022, 10:54 AM   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I'm surprised at how similar this new 100 macro is styled to the existing version. Ricoh/Pentax must think they really stuck the landing on the styling of the existing lens.
Or it's just the same lens with some lens elements swapped, or even the exact same lens with the purple fringing removed by camera firmware from the raw data.

Comment translated from Japanese: "The new macro lens adopts a new optical system and maintains the same size and weight as the current "smc PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mmF2.8 WR". However, the price will be slightly higher. Release is scheduled for 2022."

The lens will have same size and weight. Same weight is a important info.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-03-2022 at 11:08 AM.
08-03-2022, 10:56 AM   #135
Pentaxian

No focus limiter...
Closed Thread