Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2022, 02:51 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Looks like the roadmap was just updated to include a new 100mm Macro.

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf

---------- Post added 07-31-22 at 09:17 PM ----------

Features:
New optical design using expensive glass material
HD coating
Much less purple fringing than the current lens
Same size as the current lens – compactness was a design priority
Slightly more expensive than the current lens
To be released in 2022.

source:
New HD Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 macro lens is coming - Pentax Rumors
Haha of course this gets announced right after I buy one I doubt it will be cheaper than the $384 I paid though.

08-01-2022, 03:09 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
Haha of course this gets announced right after I buy one I doubt it will be cheaper than the $384 I paid though.
The current WR Macro is a wonderful lens.
08-01-2022, 03:23 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
The current WR Macro is a wonderful lens.
Indeed it is. I'm quite happy with my purchase.

I do tend to take lots of photos that provoke purple fringing though, so it is interesting to see that specifically mentioned.
08-01-2022, 03:35 PM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
Indeed it is. I'm quite happy with my purchase.

I do tend to take lots of photos that provoke purple fringing though, so it is interesting to see that specifically mentioned.
Ah, it may be worth the upgrade for you then if the reviews bear witness to the claims!

08-01-2022, 04:25 PM - 2 Likes   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Umm, no I don't think so. DOF is a combination of reproduction ratio at the sensor plane and aperture.
A 50mm lens used at f/8 at 5 feet will have the same DOF as a 100mm lens used at f/8 and 10 feet on the same format.

What will change is how much background is included. The longer lens will have a much narrower background.

As a macro shooter, I'm excited by this announcement. I will always take a better lens if I can, and this announcement is telling me that Ricoh is serious about making Pentax about having the best lenses on the market.
I think the interesting thing to me is the question of whether this could be a way forward for the FA limiteds. The big Achilles heel for those lenses is purple fringing and the addition of HD coatings didn't seem to do much for them. I think that if they could keep the FA limiteds a similar size to what they are and fix PF and add sealing, they would be pretty appealing going forward, even if they kept the screw drive.
08-01-2022, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the interesting thing to me is the question of whether this could be a way forward for the FA limiteds. The big Achilles heel for those lenses is purple fringing and the addition of HD coatings didn't seem to do much for them. I think that if they could keep the FA limiteds a similar size to what they are and fix PF and add sealing, they would be pretty appealing going forward, even if they kept the screw drive.
I imagine the fa ltds are to "sacred" to mess with . A new line of DFA ltds is more likely imho. The idea that it's even possible to tweak formulas with special glass is controversial or impossible according to some.

HD was never supposed to fix purple fringing wasn't that just some of rumour? Interestingly the greatness of Pentax coatings may worsen the effect. Also the Pentax sensor treatment is a bit pf sensitive according to someone doing side by sides with same lens on Sony body.
08-01-2022, 04:51 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I imagine the fa ltds are to "sacred" to mess with . A new line of DFA ltds is more likely imho. The idea that it's even possible to tweak formulas with special glass is controversial or impossible according to some.
While I personally think there are plenty of SMC Limiteds out there for folks who want them, I agree that Pentax / Ricoh isn't going to do much to them as is. I'm surprised they upgraded to the HD coatings. I think the new D FA 21 is evidence that Ricoh will probably release new D FA Limiteds ... hopefully it doesn't take too long for them to be released!

08-01-2022, 04:58 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote

HD was never supposed to fix purple fringing wasn't that just some of rumour? Interestingly the greatness of Pentax coatings may worsen the effect. Also the Pentax sensor treatment is a bit pf sensitive according to someone doing side by sides with same lens on Sony body.

Testing a Pentax lens on a non Pentax body is sacrilegious. Most of us here can make a lens misbehave or can help it from misbehaving too. I suspect what Pentax are having to do is create a new optical formula for those coming to the Pentax fold from other brands and may not yet have the ability to cater for a lens with a bit of character on their own without some AI assistance
08-01-2022, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote

Testing a Pentax lens on a non Pentax body is sacrilegious. Most of us here can make a lens misbehave or can help it from misbehaving too. I suspect what Pentax are having to do is create a new optical formula for those coming to the Pentax fold from other brands and may not yet have the ability to cater for a lens with a bit of character on their own without some AI assistance
Well… then you may hate my shots lately. I’ve used my Sony a7rIII and the monster adapter and plenty of Pentax glass.
08-01-2022, 06:41 PM - 4 Likes   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Can you imagine the fury if they changed the optical design to correct fringing on the classic Limiteds.
Oh my, it would be a thing to behold.
Heresy they would say.
Heresy.
Pentax is doooooooooomed they would say.

Errp.

---------- Post added Aug 1st, 2022 at 07:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote

It is as important to know what your gear cannot do as knowing what it can do and use it accordingly. Learn what your gear is bad at and don't ask it to do it.

---------- Post added Aug 1st, 2022 at 07:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Well… then you may hate my shots lately. I’ve used my Sony a7rIII and the monster adapter and plenty of Pentax glass.
A little sacrilege never hurt anyone.
08-01-2022, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
While I personally think there are plenty of SMC Limiteds out there for folks who want them, I agree that Pentax / Ricoh isn't going to do much to them as is. I'm surprised they upgraded to the HD coatings. I think the new D FA 21 is evidence that Ricoh will probably release new D FA Limiteds ... hopefully it doesn't take too long for them to be released!
The HD coatings were probably a case of having to, for a new batch of the Limiteds.

Still, there were plenty of people here who regarded the present 100 Macro as highly as any of the older Limiteds, so that may not stop Ricoh from considering a change to those optical formulae if the size and build can be kept reasonably close to the originals. I wouldn’t expect it any time soon, as the stocks of HD FA Limiteds may not be depleted for a while yet.
08-01-2022, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Can you imagine the fury if they changed the optical design to correct fringing on the classic Limiteds.
Oh my, it would be a thing to behold.
Heresy they would say.
Heresy.
Pentax is doooooooooomed they would say.

Errp.

---------- Post added Aug 1st, 2022 at 07:45 PM ----------

It is as important to know what your gear cannot do as knowing what it can do and use it accordingly. Learn what your gear is bad at and don't ask it to do it.

---------- Post added Aug 1st, 2022 at 07:50 PM ----------

A little sacrilege never hurt anyone.
It's more about "is it possible to reduce fringing, while keeping the rendering, small size and weight?" If they can, well, go ahead.
08-02-2022, 01:13 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well... the Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 macro is $1046.95, the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8 L macro is $1299, and the Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 macro G is $1098 - B&H (street) prices.
Yes, but it's expensive for me, that's why I have been using old FA100/3.5

Slightly more expensive than the current lens It could be good, of course

Last edited by borisII; 08-02-2022 at 01:25 AM.
08-02-2022, 02:06 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by borisII Quote
Yes, but it's expensive for me, that's why I have been using old FA100/3.5
That's not an argument against this new lens; if it's too expensive, there are plenty of less expensive, even cheap alternatives.

I also have an old FA 100mm macro, I probably won't get the new one (not soon, anyway).
08-02-2022, 02:13 AM   #75
Pentaxian

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that they release a revamped 50mm at the same time. Much like how several other lenses have been renewed without prior announcement.
Closed Thread