Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I'm surprised at how similar this new 100 macro is styled to the existing version. Ricoh/Pentax must think they really stuck the landing on the styling of the existing lens.
I'm not surprised.
This will be an updated optical formula but heavily based on previous one.
Exterior will be identical and the same old screwdrive AF will be used.

Too bad although understandable.

08-03-2022, 01:01 PM   #137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The HD Pentax-DA 16-50mm f/2.8 ED PLM AW has been more than two years on the roadmap:
  • first as DA Standard Zoom Lens (February 2019 - May 2020)
  • then as HD Pentax-DA 16-50mm f/2.8 (May 2020 - February 2021)
  • then as HD Pentax-DA 16-50mm f/2.8 ED PLM AW (from February 2021 until its announcement on the 15th of July).
Well... dang. I guess that blows that out of the water. I forgot those.
08-03-2022, 01:09 PM   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They updated styling on the HD FA 35 f2 from the FA 35 f2. There's some odd responses to my last comment, like "they'll remove fringing via firmware". I can't take that seriously at all.

The company says this lens will have a different optical design. Responses like the design being "heavily based on the old design", like how, that they both use glass elements? Let's not jump to any conclusions until we see the production unit but it isn't like they just slip an extra element by itself to the front of the stack and have an automatically much better lens.

It may retain screw drive, I don't know, I don't care. Seeing as how their PLM implementation is focus by wire on the 55-300 (from memory) I think screw drive is probably the right compromise.

I wish there were more glass announcements like this so people had different things to whine about at once.
08-03-2022, 01:11 PM   #139
Pentaxian

I suppose the experience gained from making the recent 1.4 monsters have taught them a trick or two with regards to fancy elements or coatings, and the new lens is structurally 99% the same with a updated element or two. Nothing wrong with being pragmatic.

But then ... what do I actually know about optical engineering ;-)

08-03-2022, 02:12 PM   #140

The HD Pentax-DA 16-50mm f/2.8 ED PLM AW has been more than two years on the roadmap:
  • first as DA Standard Zoom Lens (February 2019 - May 2020)
  • then as HD Pentax-DA 16-50mm f/2.8 (May 2020 - February 2021)
  • then as HD Pentax-DA 16-50mm f/2.8 ED PLM AW (from February 2021 until its announcement on the 15th of July).
In case of DA*16-50 that was perfectly logical - Ricoh was about to release K-3 III, first time a Pentax camera with decent (in terms of DSLR standards) AF and had NO standard 'reporter-like' zoom to pair with. Old version was known for many issues, from rather poor quality control (some people bought decent lenses, other - just an optical crap), slow and erratic AF which was prone to ultrasonic drive failure, and so on. And new DA* is a TOTALLY new lens, sharing just part of the name, focal length range and aperture with the predecessor, so they announced it somehow in advance. However, the LTD 'Three Musketeers' in HD version were released little bit by surprise as they are very same constructions with just new coatings and some aperture blades shape change... New 100mm macro appears on roadmap which suggests that there is little bit more changes in construction: I believe that modification of optical formula (and coatings) is a 'plan minimum', but I hope that AF drive will be also improved (DC or PLM motor instead of the screwdriver - my optimism is like 50 - 50 about this), and AF limiter added (40 - 60)...
Anyway, my dream lineup for my K-3 III will be (let's say 2 years from now):
DA*11 - 18/2.8, DA*16 - 50/2.8 PLM, NEW DA*50-135 (150?)/2.8 PLM, 100/2.8 Macro PLM and... new 300/4 PLM (dreams...)
08-03-2022, 02:32 PM   #141
Loyal Site Supporter

They updated styling on the HD FA 35 f2 from the FA 35 f2. There's some odd responses to my last comment, like "they'll remove fringing via firmware". I can't take that seriously at all.

The company says this lens will have a different optical design. Responses like the design being "heavily based on the old design", like how, that they both use glass elements? Let's not jump to any conclusions until we see the production unit but it isn't like they just slip an extra element by itself to the front of the stack and have an automatically much better lens.

It may retain screw drive, I don't know, I don't care. Seeing as how their PLM implementation is focus by wire on the 55-300 (from memory) I think screw drive is probably the right compromise.

I wish there were more glass announcements like this so people had different things to whine about at once.
A design heavily based on the old design is when they put new coatings on lens and call it HD rather than SMC.
Just sayin.
08-03-2022, 03:26 PM   #142
Pentaxian

Wow! It's really the exact same barrel. This is super interesting, I really wonder what they have changed optically, to my imagination it must be really minor to fit it into the exact same housing. That's not a bad thing, the main downside to dfa100 is fringing so if they solved it with only minute changes I'm impressed!

Keeping the styling is quite curious at it sort of undermines the luxury selling point of the DFA21 which has pretty much the exact same build. Lets the cat out of the bag that the limited barrels aren't that expensive to make. I like that they remove that plaque thing with the DFA100 typography and replaced it with engraved focal length and aperture as with the HD da limiteds and the DFA21.

I'm hoping to see the answer to my question if you can swap out individual elements for different glass types, and perhaps minor changes in lens curvature.

Edit: the capa page made me realise that they probably limit the special custom images styles to lenses because they don't have space in the menu. Four more custom image styles would require a new layout for the Custom image style gui.

Last edited by house; 08-03-2022 at 03:36 PM.
08-03-2022, 09:06 PM   #143
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The "no-whining" policy is contrary to progress.
08-03-2022, 09:45 PM - 7 Likes   #144
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The "no-whining" policy is contrary to progress.
I'm pretty sure whining here has no influence on progress at Ricoh. At all.

On the other hand, it significantly detracts from the ability of others here to enjoy the Forums. That's why we have the policy
08-03-2022, 10:46 PM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it me, or does the new version lack an aperture lever? KAF4, maybe?
08-03-2022, 11:14 PM - 4 Likes   #146
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'm pretty sure whining here has no influence on progress at Ricoh. At all.

On the other hand, it significantly detracts from the ability of others here to enjoy the Forums. That's why we have the policy
^^^^ I wish I'd said that, mate. ^^^^
08-03-2022, 11:44 PM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The question of a focus limiter doesn’t seem to have been answered yet, even though we know the lens barrel hasn’t changed significantly. We haven’t seen the full lens at this stage, so it will be a pleasant surprise if it does, but not a great one if it doesn’t.
08-03-2022, 11:59 PM   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Is it me, or does the new version lack an aperture lever? KAF4, maybe?
Don't both lenses have the mount cap on? So you wouldn't be able to spot it?
08-04-2022, 12:20 AM   #149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The question of a focus limiter doesn’t seem to have been answered yet, even though we know the lens barrel hasn’t changed significantly. We haven’t seen the full lens at this stage, so it will be a pleasant surprise if it does, but not a great one if it doesn’t.
What good would a ‘tease’ be if they answered all the questions?
08-04-2022, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Don't both lenses have the mount cap on? So you wouldn't be able to spot it?
That's what I get for looking at stuff first thing in the morning
Closed Thread