Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2022, 03:36 PM   #286
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Well, if Tokina can put a limiter, so can Pentax IMO.
I'd be surprised they'd change optical formula "just because".
They have said it addresses pf, not “just because” - good for a ‘teaser’ I would think.
For more details, we may have to wait for the actual release announcement.

08-30-2022, 10:25 AM   #287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any chance that it is a water resistant 2:1? I have the Laowa, which I like, but I would be willing to check out a new lens, especially if it is water resistant and more ruggid than the current lens. The 100mm D FA 100mm WR is a nice lens but the outer thread makes the lens very fragile. I still use the lens when I travel especially in tropical areas where water is an issue, but I have had issues and found Precision Camera won't fix it.
08-30-2022, 10:35 AM   #288
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
Any chance that it is a water resistant 2:1? I have the Laowa, which I like, but I would be willing to check out a new lens, especially if it is water resistant and more ruggid than the current lens. The 100mm D FA 100mm WR is a nice lens but the outer thread makes the lens very fragile. I still use the lens when I travel especially in tropical areas where water is an issue, but I have had issues and found Precision Camera won't fix it.
So far no one knows but it seems likely that the new lens is very similar to the old one. They seem to be using the same barrel. Getting a 2:1 with less CA and purple fringing in the same barrel sounds unlikely.
08-30-2022, 10:56 AM - 3 Likes   #289
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
“Patience Grasshopper” - we will know when they release it.

08-30-2022, 11:19 AM   #290
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think we will get almost the same lens with corrected glass element/new glass formula and coatings, just a bit of revamp/upgrade with new production batch, but still- 100mm Macro in WR version is one of finest current Pentax products, and it feels like a limited lens in hands. Maybe I will trade my Sigma ex DG 105/2.8 macro for it. It's actually sad there was never D FA 50/2.8 Macro re-released in such fashion- I had it, and it was brilliant in optics, but total garbage in terms of build quality. Probably that one was not really a big seller.
08-30-2022, 02:08 PM - 2 Likes   #291
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
It's actually sad there was never D FA 50/2.8 Macro re-released in such fashion- I had it, and it was brilliant in optics, but total garbage in terms of build quality.
I have it, and what you say matches my observation. I also wondered why Pentax never refreshed that DFA 50 macro , with a better built "limited" like body and new coatings, because having a 50 macro is quite versatile, it can be great for minimal kit to takes classic documentary pictures as well as close-ups. If I would have only one prime lens, it would be a 50 macro,
08-31-2022, 03:52 AM   #292
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I have it, and what you say matches my observation. I also wondered why Pentax never refreshed that DFA 50 macro , with a better built "limited" like body and new coatings, because having a 50 macro is quite versatile, it can be great for minimal kit to takes classic documentary pictures as well as close-ups. If I would have only one prime lens, it would be a 50 macro,
I actually had both non WR D FA's macro lenses at the same time along with Pentax K-r and later K-30 as my job documentation tools, both brand new, and found the 50 to be better for daily use, but while I had used it a lot more, the wobble it had from the start was awfull. It eventually led to braking the clamp switch(that I maybe used two or three times within few years, it just stopped to work) and later lens barrel got loose to point of almost splitting in two parts. The hood and lens cap design ware pain to use to point I got them replaced with no-name rubber folded hood and a new design front cap from other Pentax lens. At the end I was glad to get rid of it (sold as broken item/parts donor) in favour of Sigma 70mm Macro that was strikingly more accurate, almost the same in terms of sharpness, it had no quick-shift but I've found this not so needed anymore because the lens was almost spot-on every time.

I think those two ware the most cost-cutting Hoya designs ever made for Pentax along with DA-L kit lenses.

Still, if there ever be a reissued version of this lens with properly designed housing and mechanics(Like the DFA WR 100 have) I would go for it because optics are class leading here in my opinion.

08-31-2022, 08:37 AM   #293
Pentaxian

the wobble it had from the start was awfull. It eventually led to braking the clamp switch(that I maybe used two or three times within few years, it just stopped to work) and later lens barrel got loose to point of almost splitting in two parts.
My 50 macro is light weight (positive), sharp optically (positive) but often doesn't focus accurately, so if I want to get sharpness I have to check the focus manually in live view and adjust is necessary. Too bad, because optically it's sharp corner to corner at all apertures.
09-23-2022, 07:42 PM   #294
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Looks like the roadmap was just updated to include a new 100mm Macro.

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf

---------- Post added 07-31-22 at 09:17 PM ----------

Features:
New optical design using expensive glass material
HD coating
Much less purple fringing than the current lens
Same size as the current lens – compactness was a design priority
Slightly more expensive than the current lens
To be released in 2022.

source:
New HD Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 macro lens is coming - Pentax Rumors
If it is to be released in 2022 we don’t have a lot of time left.

Last edited by bladerunner6; 09-24-2022 at 03:38 AM.
10-01-2022, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #295
sbc
Pentaxian

I think we will get almost the same lens with corrected glass element/new glass formula and coatings, just a bit of revamp/upgrade with new production batch, but still- 100mm Macro in WR version is one of finest current Pentax products, and it feels like a limited lens in hands. Maybe I will trade my Sigma ex DG 105/2.8 macro for it. It's actually sad there was never D FA 50/2.8 Macro re-released in such fashion- I had it, and it was brilliant in optics, but total garbage in terms of build quality. Probably that one was not really a big seller.
I had the DFA 50mm macro. It was the sharpest lens I owned but the AF was pathetic. If I used it at f2.8 I had to take many shots to make sure at least 1 is in focus.
10-02-2022, 06:03 PM   #296
Veteran Member

I have the original Pentax FA 100/2.8 macro lens and have never thought that it lacked anything. Sure the AF is slow but, for macro work, MF is really what is best to use anyway unless you are not concerned about getting specific focus.

A new macro lens would have to really WOW! me in order for me to even consider purchasing it new.
10-05-2022, 12:05 PM   #297
Pentaxian

I'd prefer them to release the equ. 100mm Q system macro lens...
10-05-2022, 01:54 PM   #298
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I'd prefer them to release the equ. 100mm Q system macro lens...
They seem to have given up on the “Q” ten years ago mid-stream.
10-08-2022, 11:28 AM   #299
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
They seem to have given up on the “Q” ten years ago mid-stream.
Back then 'They' were Hoya...

It appears that Ricoh has not done anything Q related. Ricoh have the GR, why would they continue the Q mount?

Fortunately, they have not dropped the K mount.
10-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #300
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Back then 'They' were Hoya...

It appears that Ricoh has not done anything Q related. Ricoh have the GR, why would they continue the Q mount?

Fortunately, they have not dropped the K mount.
Yes, it is fortunate that they didn’t drop the K-mount,
but the GR can never replace the Q-mount - it is too inflexible.
Lens “add ons” - that make the GR a camera of several prime lenses - can never replace the flexibility provided by an ‘ILC’.
The “Q” does provide that flexibility, so the GR is a lousy replacement in that sense.
Have you noticed the number of members here who also support a second brand?
Perhaps I’ll eventually send all of my money in the future to OMDS.

Last edited by reh321; 10-08-2022 at 12:10 PM.
Closed Thread