Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2022, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote
Would be cool if Pentax were to release some mirrorless lenses. Especially at 14mm to please the vlogging crowd with some Pentax lens magic
I can’t imagine their getting many customers from the users of a MILC from another camera manufacturer.

08-12-2022, 05:57 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Glad to see Pentax is still active. Lots of interesting patents, I think an ultra wide would be a very desirable lens.
Pentax is not active, but Ricoh is, to a certain amount. I guess what OoKU shows us is nothing new, but an update to an application of early 2021. Ricoh recently updated the roadmap that might be the right thing to go by. Not a "publication" in a language that most of us here can not fathom. Unless Ricoh shouts from the rooftops that there is a new Pentax item to be launched soon we can become enthousiastic, otherwise I think this thread is a waste of time and energy which usually is the case in the silly season....
08-12-2022, 06:12 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Pentax is not active, but Ricoh is, to a certain amount. I guess what OoKU shows us is nothing new, but an update to an application of early 2021. Ricoh recently updated the roadmap that might be the right thing to go by. Not a "publication" in a language that most of us here can not fathom. Unless Ricoh shouts from the rooftops that there is a new Pentax item to be launched soon we can become enthousiastic, otherwise I think this thread is a waste of time and energy which usually is the case in the silly season....
It is nice to know what they are thinking about - some of us like to have reality undergird our dreams
08-12-2022, 06:24 AM - 5 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess what OoKU shows us is nothing new... I think this thread is a waste of time and energy
It's never a waste of time and energy if it's a topic those reading it are interested in. While you and some others may have no interest in the discussion anymore, I certainly appreciate knowing that Pentax is actively experimenting with atypical glass in an inventive way. I learned something. That specialty glass may be what's enabling the expected improvements in the new DFA100 version. While outwardly it may appear to be not much different than the existing lens I fully expect a noticeable changes in the images rendered and hopefully they'll all be very positive ones.

Not having to buy into other brands to benefit from more modern lens theory and development is a positive step. I expect we will see further worthy redesigns from Pentax.

Thanks @OoKU

08-12-2022, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's perfectly clear that the thread is about the already launched DFA21. I'm enthusiastic about a post that gives a bit more insight into the design of said DFA21. A thread about an announcement of a new 16mm would be a waste of *my* time.

Some people always bring in speculative new products in any thread but they can be safely ignored.
08-12-2022, 07:39 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
No,still DSLR. BF is not the same in every lens.
Mirrorless wide angle lens backfocus more close,for example ,RF28 1.8 is 12.16mm.
There is no mirror to clear in a mirrorless camera, only electronic contacts.

A mirrorless lens's backfocus can therefore be significatively smaller than the mount's flange focal distance: the lens simply protrudes into the mount.

A reflex lens's backfocus cannot.

Last edited by Mistral75; 08-12-2022 at 07:44 AM.
08-12-2022, 07:51 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

A mirrorless lens's backfocus can therefore be significatively smaller than the mount's flange focal distance: the lens simply protrudes into the mount.

Well, technically it can (I recall a Nikon fisheye back in the days of forever ago), but it's a right hassle to lock the mirror up, attach the lens, and work only in LV

08-12-2022, 08:36 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Note that:
  • the two examples of a 16mm f/2.4 wouldn't suit a K mount body (backfocus = 37.9mm or 36.7mm)
  • the example of a 14mm f/2.4 would only suit a mirrorless camera or a compact camera (backfocus = 20.8mm).
No,still DSLR. BF is not the same in every lens.
Mirrorless wide angle lens backfocus more close,for example ,RF28 1.8 is 12.16mm.
So....what do we think these represent, then? As mentioned above, a "preemptive" filing? Or actual lenses that might be in the design pipeline?
08-12-2022, 08:47 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
So....what do we think these represent, then? As mentioned above, a "preemptive" filing? Or actual lenses that might be in the design pipeline?
The former.

Not all design patents give way to a lens but no patent application gives way to more than a lens.
08-12-2022, 08:58 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Neither, it is all about the DFA 21mm Limited....
08-12-2022, 09:29 AM   #26
Pentaxian

In addition, according to the dfa21 patent, the materials are very extravagant.
9 out of 11 have the effect of fading.
11, only one ordinary glass.
I'd like to hear more about this, if you have any extra information.
I know it has special glass elements; but... what do you mean by very extravagant?
And by the effect of fading? Is it similar to Canon's Defocus Smoothing?
08-12-2022, 10:28 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'd like to hear more about this, if you have any extra information.
I know it has special glass elements; but... what do you mean by very extravagant?
And by the effect of fading? Is it similar to Canon's Defocus Smoothing?
I'd like to hear about it as well. I didn't manage to parse the translated page well enough to understand.

I think by "effect of fading" Ooku means that they have special refractive and dispersive characteristics. No defocus stuff as far as i can tell. I **think** that the patents suggests that the front element for instance is special glass despite it not being labelled as such in the marketing block diagram. I get lost in translation in the patents after that and struggle to decipher the references.

I've linked to this before, perhaps someone Ooku knows about...
????????????????DFA21mm F2.4 Limited? - ????

Computer translated pdf of the above page can be found here https://filebin.net/ack9uk3u7tpvywyp
But that analysis was prior to the patents being published so could only guess about certain aspects.
08-12-2022, 10:42 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A 19mm f3.5 could be really, really cool on the K1.
08-12-2022, 11:44 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
A 19mm f3.5 could be really, really cool on the K1.
You can almost get there today
Vivitar (Cosina) 19mm f/3.8 Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

That 16mm f2.4 would have been interesting as well...
I know they publish all of the options partially as a way to obscure their real plans, but it would sometimes be cool if they went and did a couple...

And what really drives the final answer? Is it all anticipated marketing (a larger market for a 21mm than a 16mm), or do they go and build prototypes and say "ah, the 16mm is cool, but the mechanics and assembly would cost double what the 21mm will cost, so we'll do that one instead..."

Ah, well... I'm still many pennies away from saving for the 21

-Eric
08-12-2022, 01:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Unless the mirror doesn't have to move.....?

Last edited by BROO; 08-12-2022 at 01:13 PM.