Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2008, 06:05 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
Actually, while you guys over here on pentax forums probably haven't heard my wishlist since I spend most of my photo time on Photo.net, I've been asking for a Pentax MX digital for some time.

The K-m is not that camera.

I want a metal body, at least ist D size, but preferably smaller (like D40/K-m).

However, I want it to be sealed, and pro spec'd (at least on par with the K10D/K20D).

I'd love to see no RTF, but I would like to see some form of top panel LCD, if it cannot be done because of size I'm ok with that.

It must have SR, it must have dual control wheels.

It should run on lithium batteries, not AA, but I'd be all for a grip for it that took AA batteries. Best of both worlds.

As far as AA batteries, if you run lithiums even the 2003 ist D got about 700-1000 shots per charge. At $1 per battery that really isn't a huge investment. I'd say most people will go through less than 2 sets a month with aggressive chimping...and less than 1 set with out much chimping!

So, if Pentax doesn't read photo.net, maybe someone is a Pentax spy here, and they will make a compact, professional grade, weather sealed, METAL, body that is designed to complement the limiteds, and quite frankly needed to sell the limiteds since they just look stupid on a plain plastic, large body like the K20D.

Oh, and if they can add an autofocus button to the grip, that would be bananas!
Sealing a camera makes it bigger. (Just look how big the Oly E-3 or E-30 is, compared to E-420. Or Pentax LX compared to MX).
Putting autofocus button to the grip, also makes it bigger.

I think the limited lenses look great on a camera like the K20, both silver and black. The 77 and 31 might even look and act too big, on a camera like the K-m.
Some of my older K- and A-series metal lenses also goes fine with my K10. Don’t mind the look at all.

Šg‘å‰æ‘œ

Šg‘å‰æ‘œ

In my experience, steel chassis and reinforced polycarpamid also has better shock absorption, than what a magnesium body can handle.

For a pro spec'd body, I many times like the opportunity to use bigger lenses, like DA*200/2.8, later maybe a DA* 400/4. An MX size digital would be too small to hold comfortably, even with a grip. But go to the film forum, a lot would like something similar there . (I’m all for different options though).
A lens such as this, I would find too big for a K-m size camera :
2008-10-24_02.jpg (image)

On this discussion, Jeffkrol posted some quotes from HOYA :
“With a desire to offer cameras which will demonstrate our advantages, as announced in the Photokina held in Germany, we will relaunch ourselves next year as a manufacturer of all-weather cameras which are strong outdoors, highly water-resistant, splash-proof, and dustproof, small and light, easily portable and tough (durable).”
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/43594-hoya-future-bens-impact.html

I think this is a great niche. Many users from C&N ask why they can’t have tine pancake limiteds as well.

Good quote btw, by Justin Serpico. A very fine photographer.

All in all, an interesting discussion. And one that we've had before. But not exactly what the OP asked regarding this thread

Last edited by Jonson PL; 12-21-2008 at 06:12 AM.
12-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Have you seen any more of this? Are Pentax going along this path as well (just a bit later than the beginners kit). Or is this just a single exception. If so, why? Is there another compact model along the line more targeted at limiteds? Or have they missed this costumer group entirely, or just considering it too small? Or what?
SRS in the UK are offering the KM with any of the pancakes as a bundle. Personally I dont think the KM is designed to appeal to prime shooters but you never know....
12-21-2008, 06:33 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Actually, while you guys over here on pentax forums probably haven't heard my wishlist since I spend most of my photo time on Photo.net, I've been asking for a Pentax MX digital for some time.

The K-m is not that camera.

I want a metal body, at least ist D size, but preferably smaller (like D40/K-m).

However, I want it to be sealed, and pro spec'd (at least on par with the K10D/K20D).

I'd love to see no RTF, but I would like to see some form of top panel LCD, if it cannot be done because of size I'm ok with that.

It must have SR, it must have dual control wheels.

It should run on lithium batteries, not AA, but I'd be all for a grip for it that took AA batteries. Best of both worlds.

As far as AA batteries, if you run lithiums even the 2003 ist D got about 700-1000 shots per charge. At $1 per battery that really isn't a huge investment. I'd say most people will go through less than 2 sets a month with aggressive chimping...and less than 1 set with out much chimping!

So, if Pentax doesn't read photo.net, maybe someone is a Pentax spy here, and they will make a compact, professional grade, weather sealed, METAL, body that is designed to complement the limiteds, and quite frankly needed to sell the limiteds since they just look stupid on a plain plastic, large body like the K20D.

I agree, I would love such a camera. More to the point, its just the camera that Nikon and Canon pros would buy as their weekend and vacation camera since C, N and S offer nothing of the kind (either the small pro-spec body or the pancakes). Oly are closest but they dont offer much in the way of primes either.

All Pentax then need to do is bring out the 15mm pancake and you could bundle the whole set finished in gunmetal as a special edition set in a presentation case with matching camera.

Now thats what I call niche marketing!!
12-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote

Ideally, it would be nice to have an all-mechanical body with a removable digital back with all electronics housed in the back, with said electronics primarily used for image capture on the sensor and metering only (an optional film back would be great, too). But of course, no manufacturer will do that, so there.
Once upon a time, a manufacturer made digital film backs for old film cameras... (couldn't find the old thread here, but it was discussed briefly...). If I remember right, the technology was bought by Ca-non, never to see the light of day ever again! Shame shame...

12-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
Once upon a time, a manufacturer made digital film backs for old film cameras... (couldn't find the old thread here, but it was discussed briefly...). If I remember right, the technology was bought by Ca-non, never to see the light of day ever again! Shame shame...
I can't think of the name either, but I don't think it ever made to the light of day... the term vapourware comes to mind!
12-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
I agree, I would love such a camera. More to the point, its just the camera that Nikon and Canon pros would buy as their weekend and vacation camera since C, N and S offer nothing of the kind (either the small pro-spec body or the pancakes). Oly are closest but they dont offer much in the way of primes either.

All Pentax then need to do is bring out the 15mm pancake and you could bundle the whole set finished in gunmetal as a special edition set in a presentation case with matching camera.

Now thats what I call niche marketing!!
Now that steve would be a great Christmas present... where do I sign up for one of those

Seriously, I would pick one up on the spot.
12-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
Silicon Film, maybe?
IIRC, they never had a product, probably not even prototypes - no Canon conspiracy, I'm afraid

12-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
Now that steve would be a great Christmas present... where do I sign up for one of those

Seriously, I would pick one up on the spot.
Talking to a few people I dont think we are alone. You could also make stickers for your Nikon and Canon which say "my other camera is a Pentax"
12-22-2008, 08:57 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Silicon Film, maybe?
IIRC, they never had a product, probably not even prototypes - no Canon conspiracy, I'm afraid
I think they did have prototypes, though the Canon conspiracy I suspect are just rumors
12-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I agree with you on everything but the metal body and would like to know why you find that point so important. The new high grade plastics are as strong as metal, cost and weigh less. Or at least that is what I'm led to believe.

I'd buy what you suggest in a minute. My hope is this is the direction Pentax is taking.
12-22-2008, 10:22 PM   #26
Veteran Member

This is what PENTAX need to make a digital version of the PENTAX 110 system.. Even if it is four thirds format. This would be a perfect platform for the DA LTD's

12-23-2008, 03:40 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm not going to comment on the battery issues, since I consider that's a hijack of this thread.

*isteve: "SRS in the UK are offering the KM with any of the pancakes as a bundle. Personally I dont think the KM is designed to appeal to prime shooters but you never know...."

I understand that it is offered in some places, but I've heard more people complain that it isn't wondering why, and my Swedish retailers only offer it in kit with the 18-55 alone or with the 50-200.

And sure it is not ideal as the pancake body, but it is currently the closest we have got.

This and the relative lack of attempts to profile it/sell it with pancake ltd primes brings me to wonder if one of the new releases next year is going to be something compact and a bit exclusive (mind you hope they don't make it so exclusive I can't afford it). If I remember correctly from that thread it sounded like two upgrades and something more fundamentally new was on its way.

I can live with plastic on metal frame if it has the quality of the current digital bodies and DA* lenses, but full metal would feel great.

Please make it a SLR, not some sort of rangefinder like in Adrians wet dream.

Maybe they will build it on the same frame as the K-m and call it M-x or M-e.
12-24-2008, 06:19 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I'm not going to comment on the battery issues, since I consider that's a hijack of this thread.

*isteve: "SRS in the UK are offering the KM with any of the pancakes as a bundle. Personally I dont think the KM is designed to appeal to prime shooters but you never know...."

I understand that it is offered in some places, but I've heard more people complain that it isn't wondering why, and my Swedish retailers only offer it in kit with the 18-55 alone or with the 50-200.

And sure it is not ideal as the pancake body, but it is currently the closest we have got.

This and the relative lack of attempts to profile it/sell it with pancake ltd primes brings me to wonder if one of the new releases next year is going to be something compact and a bit exclusive (mind you hope they don't make it so exclusive I can't afford it). If I remember correctly from that thread it sounded like two upgrades and something more fundamentally new was on its way.

I can live with plastic on metal frame if it has the quality of the current digital bodies and DA* lenses, but full metal would feel great.

Please make it a SLR, not some sort of rangefinder like in Adrians wet dream.

Maybe they will build it on the same frame as the K-m and call it M-x or M-e.
The Km does not have enough controls to make it a true enthusiast machine

The K200 replacement may well use the same chassis as Km but with more features (selectable focus points etc). This may also have the 14MP sensor, but reading between the lines it may actually have the Sony 12MP CMOS sensor with live view etc. However unless it has 2 control wheels and a green button it wont count as an enthusiast camera.

However I suspect there will be a K20 replacement that is only slightly larger (about the size of the current K200) with a second generation 14MP sensor. This would be a good candidate for a "special edition". Perhaps even if they dont do a metal body version, they could add a metal accent (like the Km) in a finish to match the lenses. I just hope they avoid gold!!

About 2/3 of the way through the year they will probably upgrade the Km.
12-24-2008, 06:31 AM   #29
Veteran Member

ha, i love this site. at the bottom of the "designers' story" page, filled with men, there are three women holding the camera with a speech bubble saying "female pentax member joined the research!"

Its like living in the 60s!
12-24-2008, 06:52 AM   #30

Yes. Pentax needs to own a niche and the line "My fun camera is a Pentax" is a good one. Targetted to pros and amateurs who don't want to carry all that weight during their time off and vacations.