Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #31

I recently bought K-m as my first DSLR, and at the moment I am very enthusiastic about it. It may not be as advanced as other models, but I'm sure this body and the kit lens will provide me with many learning opportunities.

I am also thinking of buying a prime lens (no, I'm not already developing LBA :-) in order to acheive a shallower DOF. I was thinking of FA 50 1.4 or DA 40 2.8 LTD, but eventually I decided to go for the pancake lens as it would make a smaller package with this body.

Today I went to a store and tried DA 40, but I wasn't too happy about it. I made some pics of the shop assistant, using AF and different apertures, and his face came out very soft. Knowing that DA 40 is supposed to be very sharp, I concluded that it was probably me doing something wrong. I think I'll try again in another store, hopefully with better lighting.

12-24-2008, 08:10 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeymon Quote
I am also thinking of buying a prime lens (no, I'm not already developing LBA :-) in order to acheive a shallower DOF. I was thinking of FA 50 1.4 or DA 40 2.8 LTD, but eventually I decided to go for the pancake lens as it would make a smaller package with this body.
Yes, that seems like a great compact combo.

And I agree, there's no reason for the shots to have been soft — do you know what settings you were using?
12-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #33
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
This is what PENTAX need to make a digital version of the PENTAX 110 system.. Even if it is four thirds format. This would be a perfect platform for the DA LTD's[snip...]
I thought Samsung already released a camera of that form, and it wasn't very successful...
12-25-2008, 05:03 AM   #34
Forum Member

When I was looking for my DSLR, I was taking test shots in the shops, and for the life of me, couldn't work out why all the lenses were soft.

Then I realised that it was on program mode, and was taking every photo at 1/10 of a second. A quick raise of the flash and a blinded salesman later, all was well.

Camera shops always seem to keep their shops darker than seems appropriate...

12-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #35

OK, here are two pics and their settings:

12-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
The Km does not have enough controls to make it a true enthusiast machine

The K200 replacement may well use the same chassis as Km but with more features (selectable focus points etc). This may also have the 14MP sensor, but reading between the lines it may actually have the Sony 12MP CMOS sensor with live view etc. However unless it has 2 control wheels and a green button it wont count as an enthusiast camera.

However I suspect there will be a K20 replacement that is only slightly larger (about the size of the current K200) with a second generation 14MP sensor. This would be a good candidate for a "special edition". Perhaps even if they dont do a metal body version, they could add a metal accent (like the Km) in a finish to match the lenses. I just hope they avoid gold!!

About 2/3 of the way through the year they will probably upgrade the Km.
So you think these are the three bodies that has been mentioned as upcoming in 2009?
12-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #37
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeymon Quote
OK, here are two pics and their settings:
I would have changed the AF.A to be spot or select focus and selected exactly what I wanted in focus. It seems the gentleman's left shoulder is in perfect focus... I bet you would have liked his head in focus. At f/3.5 and the distance you were at, the DOF is a few inches. Focusing on his shoulder, the head is behind what's in critical focus, That is why I never let the camera decide what to focus on.

Last edited by m8o; 12-25-2008 at 04:49 PM.
12-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
ha, i love this site. at the bottom of the "designers' story" page, filled with men, there are three women holding the camera with a speech bubble saying "female pentax member joined the research!"

Its like living in the 60s!
Yes, I made the same reflections. Clearly it would be a suicide mission to launch that campaign in say for example a Scandinavian country, where it would be bashed for sexism and for presenting female (and male) stereotypes, and rightfully so I believe. Which is sad, since it should in principle be positive that a camera body is built for smaller hands (which would include mine actually), which would suit more women than men. But it is about how it is presented. But I believe that site is meant for the Japanese market (but it is in English?).

Anyway, my point was that it was so far the only official Pentax site I had seen where the K-m was pushed with DA limited lenses. And the questions was if it will be sold like that later on, or if there is another body (on the same small frame?) in the pipeline. And from what *isteve and others said, the later appears more likely to me (two wheels? one for aperture and one for exposure time? there must be other solutions that would give the same, or? and personally I could live without the green button if they return full mechanical aperture connection in the mount, but I suppose that wont happen).

Follow up question: Will the K-m with a pancake lens fit in my pocket like a MX with a M28/2.8? If not, can a camera be made any thinner on this (K-m) frame?
When Pentax is selling the K-m as a mini DSLR, the competition is obviously these new micro four third bodies. But do they have pancakes? Will they be any thinner in practice with a lens on? It is the total thickness that will really matter. My big pockets or my computer bag or a "ladies bag" does not matter. Too thick and it could just as well be any ordinary sized DSLR.
12-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I think the idea of having womans contribute to the development, basically making a camera for them (isn't that a novelty for a DSLR) is just badly put in words - in any other language than japanese
In their place I would think about a better translation.

Yes, there are few things to to in order to make the camera even thinner. Like, use a compact Li-Ion battery instead of AAs (this may reduce battery life, however, and battery power will be important as Live View will be a must for the next entry level, togrther with movie mode).
12-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I imagine the AA batteries are actually a selling point for the beginner. They were a plus for me when I bought my first *istD - the dealer even threw in a spare set of rechargeables and a car charger to make the deal, even though the camera came as standard with a pair of Panasonic 3V Lithiums (still unopened, by the way)!
Considering the battery options for the K20D are either limited or over-priced, I don't mind the AA in my K200d and consider it a plus. I can't buy a Li-150 or NP-400 anywhere near Tallahassee. I had to order some from BH.
12-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
So you think these are the three bodies that has been mentioned as upcoming in 2009?
Pure speculation and extrapolation on my part...

I think logically that Pentax need to replace the K200 and K20 but to put some distance between the Km and the next model up (K300) would mean a higher specced K200 and by implication a higher specced K30. The smaller body is an assumption from the Hoya announcement.

I suspect the K200 will have a similar control layout to the Km but possibly a top LCD and a more photographer biased feature set. In terms of a direct competitor I would suggest the niche is somewhere between the D60 and the D90 but nearer the D90. More like an A350 without all the gimmicks.

The K30 would be pretty much snapping at the Canon 50D in spec terms with similar performance all round, but with the fully sealed body and hopefully a new AF system would probably nail the A700 and D300 as well on quality for the buck and smaller than either.

The "third announcement" would be an upgrade or special version of one of the above or the Km. Perhaps a K30 special LTD edition?

The MF digital is far more likely than a FF Pentax in the next 2 years at least. Sales of the A900 will be monitored closely in the meantime.
12-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Yummy a pentax dslr w/6.3 frames per sceond

I have high hopes with pentax annual dslr releases. I think eos 50D has weatherseals. Likely K20D is better sealed. However Oly E3 is best weathersealed dslr of all.

I'd like to see the megapixel race slow and features like frames per second be the spec that sets apart the different pentax offerings. And I'd like to see an articulated viewscreen like oly E3 has.

PMA 2009 Countdown less than 10 weeks....

Pure speculation and extrapolation on my part...

I think logically that Pentax need to replace the K200 and K20 but to put some distance between the Km and the next model up (K300) would mean a higher specced K200 and by implication a higher specced K30. The smaller body is an assumption from the Hoya announcement.

I suspect the K200 will have a similar control layout to the Km but possibly a top LCD and a more photographer biased feature set. In terms of a direct competitor I would suggest the niche is somewhere between the D60 and the D90 but nearer the D90. More like an A350 without all the gimmicks.

The K30 would be pretty much snapping at the Canon 50D in spec terms with similar performance all round, but with the fully sealed body and hopefully a new AF system would probably nail the A700 and D300 as well on quality for the buck and smaller than either.

The "third announcement" would be an upgrade or special version of one of the above or the Km. Perhaps a K30 special LTD edition?

The MF digital is far more likely than a FF Pentax in the next 2 years at least. Sales of the A900 will be monitored closely in the meantime.
12-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #43
Veteran Member

The MP race won't slow since about 90% of camera buyers think that Mp count = better...
12-26-2008, 11:12 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Does that mean I should go buy an a900 to influence Pentax?

The obvious 3 cameras for 2009 would just be updates to the small/med/large Km/K200d/K20d. But the Km is new and it would be a very short product cycle to update that. Of course who knows...maybe K30d and K300d at PMA and Kn for xmas 2009. I think they've got something up their sleeve though. These could include:

MF (decent odds...who knows what happened to the 645)
FF (doubtful imho - unless they're holding back a new set of lenses)
APS p&s (think Sigma DP1) but with interchangeable lenses
u4/3 body with K mount

Seems to me they really need to leverage the lenses they've got in production and in the pipeline. That leans away from MF or FF unless they've got surprises. They could however do some very interesting things with small primes on a p&s or u4/3.
12-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
The MP race won't slow since about 90% of camera buyers think that Mp count = better...
It should.......
more pixels are better!: News Discussion Forum: Digital Photography Review