Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-m marketed with limited lenses?

I suppose that if I was new to photo I would be tempted by the K-m in kit with the 18-55 and 50-200 lenses. But I'm not. Since the K-m release I've been wondering what that body would be like with a set of limited pancake (DA) lenses, thinking that this would be what might get me both to buy the K-m and to stick my toes deeper into the limiteds (has only the 35ltd yet, owing to its macro function, so far thinking that the limiteds will not be able to make my K20D fit easier in my bag anyway). But so far I've not seen Pentax marketing the K-m with limiteds, but seen many posts ask the same, why is it not sold with ltds, and even seen some posts complaining that it's been hard to find the body alone to make their own body+ltd kit.

But then I found an official japanese Pentax K-m site (which confirm that they are targetting women, bit please don't make this thread about that issue): PENTAX K-m SPECIAL SITE / Features
with a whole page on the K-m with limiteds.

Have you seen any more of this? Are Pentax going along this path as well (just a bit later than the beginners kit). Or is this just a single exception. If so, why? Is there another compact model along the line more targeted at limiteds? Or have they missed this costumer group entirely, or just considering it too small? Or what?

12-20-2008, 08:06 AM   #2

KM is not much smaller than the K100D. They should really take out the giant AA batteries and use a smaller grip.
12-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
They should really take out the giant AA batteries and use a smaller grip.
I imagine the AA batteries are actually a selling point for the beginner. They were a plus for me when I bought my first *istD - the dealer even threw in a spare set of rechargeables and a car charger to make the deal, even though the camera came as standard with a pair of Panasonic 3V Lithiums (still unopened, by the way)!
12-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The K-m is sold in kits with limiteds, just like SRS does :
(But they are likely too expensive for beginners)
Pentax K-m Digital SLR Cameras - Digital SLR Cameras - SRS Microsystems
The body can also be bought alone, though.

I was surprised how small the K-m was, when I tried it. Way smaller than K100D, more the size of Olympus 420. Almost too small for my hands, the K10 fits me better. But for a camera to have around you in a bag most of the time, the K-m would fit the bill.
I find the K-m a good move by Pentax, and well thought out to make a grip, where you can have the camera in your right hand alone.

12-20-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

In the "camera selling business" i find that the AA's in the K200D and the K-m are a big big disadvantage when selling those cameras compared to Canon and Nikons. Why not make the grip optional like the LX? Some people (me included) like the strap lugs on one side better anyways.
12-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
In the "camera selling business" i find that the AA's in the K200D and the K-m are a big big disadvantage when selling those cameras compared to Canon and Nikons.
why exactly? Proprietary batteries that cost $40 or AA? I wonder which are easier to find around town...
12-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Because when you buy the camera the battery and charger is included. The battery weighs less takes less space and lasts longer per charge and there are less problems with the camera devouring batteries on those cameras (the percentage of K200D's with battery problems are quite high).

If you want a set of good quality rechargables they cost about the same with a charger as a extra proprietary battery and usually people do not buy an extra battery, so they don't really have to spend those $$ anyways. They do have to if they want rechargeable batteries for K200D/K-m however.

edit: oh yeah! I forgot to mention that the AF speed and flash charge time also suffers from using most kinds of cheap AA's compared to Li-ion proprietary batteries.

Last edited by Shashinki; 12-20-2008 at 04:43 PM.
12-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Because when you buy the camera the battery and charger is included. The battery weighs less takes less space and lasts longer per charge and there are less problems with the camera devouring batteries on those cameras (the percentage of K200D's with battery problems are quite high).

If you want a set of good quality rechargables they cost about the same with a charger as a extra proprietary battery and usually people do not buy an extra battery, so they don't really have to spend those $$ anyways. They do have to if they want rechargeable batteries for K200D/K-m however.

edit: oh yeah! I forgot to mention that the AF speed and flash charge time also suffers from using most kinds of cheap AA's compared to Li-ion proprietary batteries.
and why would people be using cheap AA batteries? A set of 4 rechargeable batteries cost $12 and that's for the top of the line ones. An OEM proprietary costs I have no idea how much simply cause all I see on ebay is cheap chinese knockoffs. As for the flash and AF, why not just buy 1.5v rechargables from Quantaray. Same 1.5v as normal AA batteries and rechargability. No more flash or AF problems. Either way, to each his own...

12-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Have you actually owned the camera?
I got the K-m for my niece as a graduation present. In the time that I have used it, it has performed flawlessly with regards to the AF and AA batteries (used high capacity alkalines and Eneloops). Battery life is very good and AAs are quite useful and easily available even in remote locations.

whatever7, the K-m is definitely smaller than the K100D...
12-20-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Have you actually owned the camera?
I'm going to say no since everything he said is just a repeat of things I read here on the forums in the past few days...
12-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
Either way, to each his own...
I agree! I am anti-AA along with a lot of people, but some people love them. But let's stick to the point you guys. Is Pentax coming out with a more compact "limited" camera for the enthusiasts?

Last edited by Shashinki; 12-20-2008 at 05:28 PM.
12-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If that that matters to you, then you can buy Lithium AAs. AAs = consumer choice.
AAs in my K100 have saved my ass before when my rechargables ran flat while I was out and about on a tourist trip - a quick detour into a corner shop and I was up and running again.

This alone with induce me to take my K100 along with my K20 in such a situation.
12-21-2008, 03:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

It used to be like that, but the K-m uses AA's more effecient than previous DSLR's from Pentax, and it can shoot almost twice as many images on one charge than the K10D can. This is called development.

AA's is not uncommon among compact digicams, so for those that upgrade to a K-m many already have a charger.
12-21-2008, 04:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Actually, while you guys over here on pentax forums probably haven't heard my wishlist since I spend most of my photo time on Photo.net, I've been asking for a Pentax MX digital for some time.

The K-m is not that camera.

I want a metal body, at least ist D size, but preferably smaller (like D40/K-m).

However, I want it to be sealed, and pro spec'd (at least on par with the K10D/K20D).

I'd love to see no RTF, but I would like to see some form of top panel LCD, if it cannot be done because of size I'm ok with that.

It must have SR, it must have dual control wheels.

It should run on lithium batteries, not AA, but I'd be all for a grip for it that took AA batteries. Best of both worlds.

As far as AA batteries, if you run lithiums even the 2003 ist D got about 700-1000 shots per charge. At $1 per battery that really isn't a huge investment. I'd say most people will go through less than 2 sets a month with aggressive chimping...and less than 1 set with out much chimping!

So, if Pentax doesn't read photo.net, maybe someone is a Pentax spy here, and they will make a compact, professional grade, weather sealed, METAL, body that is designed to complement the limiteds, and quite frankly needed to sell the limiteds since they just look stupid on a plain plastic, large body like the K20D.

Oh, and if they can add an autofocus button to the grip, that would be bananas!
12-21-2008, 05:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
Actually, while you guys over here on pentax forums probably haven't heard my wishlist since I spend most of my photo time on Photo.net, I've been asking for a Pentax MX digital for some time.

The K-m is not that camera.

I want a metal body, at least ist D size, but preferably smaller (like D40/K-m).

However, I want it to be sealed, and pro spec'd (at least on par with the K10D/K20D).

I'd love to see no RTF, but I would like to see some form of top panel LCD, if it cannot be done because of size I'm ok with that.

It must have SR, it must have dual control wheels.

It should run on lithium batteries, not AA, but I'd be all for a grip for it that took AA batteries. Best of both worlds.

As far as AA batteries, if you run lithiums even the 2003 ist D got about 700-1000 shots per charge. At $1 per battery that really isn't a huge investment. I'd say most people will go through less than 2 sets a month with aggressive chimping...and less than 1 set with out much chimping!

So, if Pentax doesn't read photo.net, maybe someone is a Pentax spy here, and they will make a compact, professional grade, weather sealed, METAL, body that is designed to complement the limiteds, and quite frankly needed to sell the limiteds since they just look stupid on a plain plastic, large body like the K20D.

Oh, and if they can add an autofocus button to the grip, that would be bananas!
Having fiddled around with old camera bodies lately, I would be interested in an all-metal, but small, DSLR body, too. Something about plastics (regardless whether it's on a D3 or K-m) just doesn't evoke rigidity for me in the long run.

Pentax could probably make that body a limited run, or on a by-order basis, though they could probably move 50k units of that, at least.

Ideally, it would be nice to have an all-mechanical body with a removable digital back with all electronics housed in the back, with said electronics primarily used for image capture on the sensor and metering only (an optional film back would be great, too). But of course, no manufacturer will do that, so there.