Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2022, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
If there is a new charger, I think it must be related to a K-70 or KP successor. I say this for a few reasons.

- Pentax just started a new generation of cameras with the K-3 III, and they continued using the D-LI90. In the past the K-1 and 645 cameras used the same battery, so I assume they have made a decision that it is OK for the next iteration of those cameras.
- The D-LI90 already has a USB-C version of its adapter, so no new one is needed. However, the D-LI109 is the only Pentax battery without a USB-C charger yet, so it could be that. It would be strange to do that at this moment in time just for a camera released 6 years ago, so it would have to be a new camera that didn't need a big battery.
- It might for a completely new battery for a similar camera. Either way, it implies a new low-end camera is on the way.

The K-70 does look like it may be discontinued now. It is in short supply even at Ricoh's own webstore and one usually reliable retailer in Japan (Map Camera), currently has stock of some kits left but with the text 【在庫限り(生産完了品)】which means "Stock limited (Out of production)".

However, Pentax talked about crowdsourcing an astro version of the K-70 later this year and a differently colored Pentax Clubhouse version as recently as a month ago. So the messages are a bit mixed. Might they just be gauging interest in special editions of a future camera similar to the K-70.

At the same time, I heard from someone at RICOH IMAGING a couple of weeks ago that they are quite happy with the current sales of the K-1 II, so I don't think they are feeling a need to replace that out of order. The K-70/KP replacement should come before that.
It might also be related to a new Ricoh compact camera. As far as i know, there is no USB-C charger for the DB-110 battery (Ricoh GR III, GR IIIx, G900, G900SE, WG-7).

09-10-2022, 04:08 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Well, I might have contributed to some "educated guessing" here, but with tongue in cheek.
Basically one USB-C charger can support all future cameras with USB-C. If it has sufficient Watt and Power Delivery (PD) than this enables any camera to take the needed pover and voltage. There is technically no need for more than one (sufficiently powerful) USB- C PD charger. There might be reasons to sell less powerful ones cheaper for cameras less demanding though.
09-10-2022, 04:18 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
But definitely new 645 would be good. As well as couple new lenses for it too, but who knows. It is interesting to see what it is going to be..
If it is a replacement for the 645Z then IBIS would have to be included and maybe the above mentioned patent. A new more powerful battery/s would be needed as well as a new charger to go with it.
09-10-2022, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Your last sentence

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote

This project was later said to be cancelled but just maybe?

may be relevant.

That is why I refuse to speculate. We will know only when we know real facts.

09-10-2022, 06:23 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Besides FF 645 it's hard to see how it could compete.
Nor sure how a $35 000 DSLR camera would compete with Fuji 100s and Hassy X2D. Problem with FF 645 is that the sensor cost a ton of money. As a customer, I am not sure about the rationale to pay $35 000 for a camera body so that I can keep using my 30 years old Pentax 645 lenses that have the coating and optics from 30 years ago or more.
09-10-2022, 08:19 AM   #36
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It might also be related to a new Ricoh compact camera. As far as i know, there is no USB-C charger for the DB-110 battery (Ricoh GR III, GR IIIx, G900, G900SE, WG-7).
Am I missing something? The BJ-11 charger has been available for years and I have one. You get the AC adapter in the box, which can either go straight into the camera or into the BJ-11 which is a separate purchase. So I think that has been USB-C from the start.

I think the registered item must be something different. However, the more I look at the mess of different adapters and batteries that Pentax sells, the less certain I am of what each one is for.

Anyway, I hope this is an indication of something new and interesting.
09-10-2022, 09:43 AM   #37
Pentaxian

the more I look at the mess of different adapters and batteries that Pentax sells, the less certain I am of what each one is for.

Anyway, I hope this is an indication of something new and interesting.
It might simply be part of an effort to simplify what they currently have, with no new photo product forthcoming.

We will know in the next week or so.

09-10-2022, 09:43 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Am I missing something? The BJ-11 charger has been available for years and I have one. You get the AC adapter in the box, which can either go straight into the camera or into the BJ-11 which is a separate purchase. So I think that has been USB-C from the start.

(...).
Is it really a USB Type-C connector (oblong cross-section, rotationally symmetrical) or a USB Type-A connector (rectangular cross-section, non symmetrical)?

USB Type-C

USB Type-A

Not only are do Type-A and Type-C connectors look different, their specific capabilities differ too. Only USB Type-C supports USB Power Delivery.
09-10-2022, 09:53 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Type A on a charger, I don't think so. That's put on a host device.
The BJ-11 charger has an USB-C port.
09-10-2022, 10:25 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Type A on a charger, I don't think so. That's put on a host device.
The BJ-11 charger has an USB-C port.
There were actually several “Type A”’connectors - one for the host {power source} and several for the power receiver.
“USB-C” is something recent.
09-10-2022, 11:25 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
If it is a replacement for the 645Z then IBIS would have to be included and maybe the above mentioned patent. A new more powerful battery/s would be needed as well as a new charger to go with it.
Yeah, dunno what is it going to be to make the difference. I’m sure that there should be customers for 645 Z upgrade. After all Fujifilm and Hassy seem to be straight competitors. Pentax should be different, not the same. So it would be actual alternative. 4 K$ price difference should be more like 1K. You can’t beat Fuji with price. Their target audience is guys with 35 FF top tier cameras. And they are aggressive to make that happen. But that is not what this rumour is about…

Yeah. Let us see. Interesting times…
09-10-2022, 12:29 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
There were actually several “Type A”’connectors - one for the host {power source} and several for the power receiver.
“USB-C” is something recent.
Not quite. The USB type A connector is used by host devices, while on peripherals you'd use an USB type B device. Then, there are varieties like Mini-USB and Micro-USB.
Of course, USB type C is different, a single connector and the distinction between host and peripheral devices is not clear cut (this can be negotiated between devices, including which is charging which).

Anyway, the BJ-11 charger has an USB-C port.
09-10-2022, 12:36 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Not quite. The USB type A connector is used by host devices, while on peripherals you'd use an USB type B device. Then, there are varieties like Mini-USB and Micro-USB.
Of course, USB type C is different, a single connector and the distinction between host and peripheral devices is not clear cut (this can be negotiated between devices, including which is charging which).
I have a laptop computer with USB-C ports only, and it came with a cable having a USB-C port on one end and a USB-A ‘socket’ on the other.
I have seen various USB permutations at stores. The truth is quite complicated.
09-10-2022, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a laptop computer with USB-C ports only, and it came with a cable having a USB-C port on one end and a USB-A ‘socket’ on the other.
I have seen various USB permutations at stores. The truth is quite complicated.
That's an adapter.
09-10-2022, 01:23 PM   #45
Pentaxian

The truth is quite complicated.
The fact is, you won't find any battery charger with a "power in" USB type A port (you will find some with micro-USB type B, and, of course, with type C). You won't be able to charge your laptop through your type C to type A adapter; but you can put an USB stick in there (or connect your phone via a type A to type C (or lightning) cable and charge that - although not at power delivery speeds).

From Wikipedia: "Unlike other data buses (such as Ethernet), USB connections are directed; a host device has "downstream" facing ports that connect to the "upstream" facing ports of devices. Only downstream facing ports provide power; this topology was chosen to easily prevent electrical overloads and damaged equipment. Thus, USB cables have different ends: A and B, with different physical connectors for each".
USB-C is bi-directional, negotiated by the devices. You could even attempt to charge your laptop from your (non-Apple) smartphone though an USB-C to USB-C cable, although that won't do much good!

And this is getting too long. We have the answer that matters.

Last edited by Kunzite; 09-10-2022 at 01:29 PM.