Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2022, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Can we just say that Ricoh is likely to release a new camera with either a new battery or at the least a new charger associated with an old battery?
Without further evidence, such as Wifi registration, I only imagine Ricoh would release an environment friendly, off the grid battery charger with a builtin dynamo and crank.

09-12-2022, 11:49 AM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote

IIRC, the D-Li109 in the K-70/KP does not have a corresponding fast charger yet - and neither of those two cameras offers in-camera charging either. That's what got the rumor started in the first place, I think it's the most likely explanation.
Right. But, if the D-LI90 is taken as an example, then there is NO need for a NEW USB-C charger if a NEW camera using the OLD D-Li109 would include USB-C charging. Because the SAME charger would work - as it does for the OLD D-Li90 in the K-3III. The changes would need to be made IN the NEW camera, almost any USB-C charger can then be used.

The logic chain "New charger>unsupported battery>new camera model with this battery and USB-,charging" is flawed, because this new camera would not need a new charger. At least technically. That's all I have to say here. Not saying that there might not be other reasons for an additional charger, like marketing etc.

But I don't want to spoil the speculation party on the other hand.
09-12-2022, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #93
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Without further evidence, such as Wifi registration, I only imagine Ricoh would release an environment friendly, off the grid battery charger with a builtin dynamo and crank.
I'd love that. And if it could hook up to a bike even better.

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote

Yeah! I mean, we gotta have just a little oxygen!
09-12-2022, 12:18 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
What don't you understand in the phrase "this week" which you stated twice and now seem incapable of (re)considering?
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
What's so special about this week? Did I miss something?
No, but often Pentax leaks a hint just before announcing.

09-12-2022, 02:03 PM   #95
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Right. But, if the D-LI90 is taken as an example, then there is NO need for a NEW USB-C charger if a NEW camera using the OLD D-Li109 would include USB-C charging. Because the SAME charger would work - as it does for the OLD D-Li90 in the K-3III. The changes would need to be made IN the NEW camera, almost any USB-C charger can then be used.

The logic chain "New charger>unsupported battery>new camera model with this battery and USB-,charging" is flawed, because this new camera would not need a new charger. At least technically. That's all I have to say here. Not saying that there might not be other reasons for an additional charger, like marketing etc.

Mmm one might one to fast charge a battery with other means than the camera itself. IMO.
09-12-2022, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
No, but often Pentax leaks a hint just before announcing.
Ah OK. Now I see where you come from.

However, what we're talking about in this thread is not a Pentax leak. It's the copy of a publication made by the RRA, the South Korean Radio Research Agency.

The RRA is a governmental agency in charge, inter alia, of registering/certifying products which emit electromagnetic radiation; in this case, a battery charger.

Ricoh Imaging filed months ago for this registration. They had to provide sample units, have EMR tests made by an independent lab certified by the RRA, answer any questions asked by the lab or the RRA itself, etc.

In short, they have absolutely no control over the timetable of such registration (save for knowing it takes approximately x months from filing to registration).

Therefore, this registration being published on the 6th of September doesn't give any hint other than the corresponding product being in the process to be brought to market. In a week, a month or later™.
09-12-2022, 07:51 PM   #97
Veteran Member

What if there was a new, bigger battery? Would that require a larger capacity charger?

I really don't know that much about these things but I would think a new K-1 or 645Z would have a feature set that may require more power and therefore require a more powerful charger.

To answer the OP. I don't think a replacement for the K-1 would be ready yet.
Apparently the Z645 has been developed and is ready to go, there was talk of a video centric APS-C camera being developed too and I don't think the GR will be replaced soon as it is selling well.
For my guess if I had to choose out of the four then it is either the 645Z or K70 with higher video features and possibly a new 50-135 PLM to go with it!. But would it need a new charger?

The new 645z would definitely have a bigger battery or two and would require a larger capacity charger.

Oh OokU she really has stirred things up...

09-12-2022, 11:03 PM   #98
Pentaxian

Okay, before I write something wrong here I looked it up again.
For the K-3III:
The K-BC 177 is a combination kit Battery charger for D-LI90 Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery and combines the:
* D-BC 177 charger
an the
* AC ADAPTER KIT K-AC 166

It did not register (?) the D-BC 186 before the K-3III, because - I don't know, can't find this charger at the Ricoh accessories list, neither for DSLRs nor compacts or the GR3s.

Accessories | PENTAX K-3 Mark III | RICOH IMAGING
Battery Accessories for Compact | Accessories | Products | RICOH IMAGING
Accessories / RICOH GR III/GR IIIx | RICOH IMAGING

The D-BC 177 is an external charger that takes power from USB-C, either K-AC 166 or your own.

The D-BC 188 186 might be the same, and I correct my previous statement, it might be for another battery, which, is now still open to many wonderful pages of speculation.

Just one hint: the K-3III etc. D-Li90 charger is D-BC 177 (not 186 183 as stated indicated in the original post). The GR3s battery DB-110 charger is BJ-11 and for the WG-series the charger kit is the K-BC 183...

Last edited by MMVIII; 09-13-2022 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Corrections
09-12-2022, 11:23 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Okay, before I write something wrong here I looked it up again.
For the K-3III:
The K-BC 177 is a combination kit Battery charger for D-LI90 Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery and combines the:
* D-BC 177 charger
an the
* AC ADAPTER KIT K-AC 166

It did not register (?) the D-BC 186 before the K-3III, because - I don't know, can't find this charger at the Ricoh accessories list, neither for DSLRs nor compacts or the GR3s.
Accessories | PENTAX K-3 Mark III | RICOH IMAGING
Battery Accessories for Compact | Accessories | Products | RICOH IMAGING
Accessories / RICOH GR III/GR IIIx | RICOH IMAGING

The D-BC 177 is an external charger that takes power from USB-C, either K-AC 166 or your own.

The D-BC 188 might be the same, and I correct my previous statement, it might be for another battery, which, is now still open to many wonderful pages of speculation.

Just one hint: the K-3III etc. D-Li90 charger is D-BC 177 (not 186 as stated in the original post). The GR3s battery DB-110 charger is BJ-11 and for the WG-series the charger kit is the K-BC 183...
The BC-186 has reportedly been registered recently not BC-188?.
The BC-183 was registered prior to the release of the K-3 MkIII but was actually for the WG-series camera as stated above.

Last edited by BROO; 09-12-2022 at 11:29 PM.
09-12-2022, 11:33 PM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
The BC-186 has reportedly been registered recently not BC-188?.
The BC-183 was registered prior to the release of the K-3 MkIII but was actually for the WG-series camera as stated above.
Correct, now I got confused by scrolling up and down in the thread.

Still, I think it is essential to say this and the original post may be misleading here. The 183 has been registered before the K-3III, but it had nothing to do with it or any DSLR or GR, but was for the compact WG camera.
I mean, those would also benefit a lot from USB-C charging possibility.
09-13-2022, 12:15 AM - 1 Like   #101
Pentaxian

Funny! let's see if there is again this kind of way how it goes. New charger for another compact WG and new K- or 645 mount camera(did sneak 645 at there on purpose, because why not)..
09-13-2022, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #102
Pentaxian

A quick recap.

09-13-2022, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #103
Pentaxian

Another piece of information. D-BC183 was registered in March 2021 in Russia. The corresponding publication stirred up quite an interest among us:

New charger D-BC183 registered - Sign of new camera? - PentaxForums.com

Yet, Ricoh WG-70, the first camera to take advantage of it, had been announced in February 2020, one year before, and Ricoh WG-80, the next one, was announced in May 2022, one year after.
09-13-2022, 02:12 AM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suppose there could also be a new battery grip with a bigger battery that wouldm't affect the form factor of the camera - not likely, just something for the mix...
09-13-2022, 02:47 AM   #105
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another really dull possibility is that as Pentax separates its lineup from GR, they want to have all their chargers with consistent naming. In this case the D-BC186 might just be the Pentax-branded version of the BJ-11, to be sold alongside the forthcoming but equally boring Pentax WG-8.

The fact that the numbering is D-BC18X (with an “8” not a “7”) might be an indication of this.

Even if this is the case, I still think a K-70/KP replacement is not too far off and it will probably have a new USB-C charger too. Pentax stated that they plan to make a new camera below the K-3 III at last November’s event, and the K-70 may be out of production already.