Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2007, 12:41 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
We know about the K10D replacement in the fall. What about the current already sold ones? Any updates?
Could someone please elaborate on the K10D replacement in the Fall. I am considering upgrading from a DS to the K10D but not if it going to be replaced soon and then have another obsolete model.

03-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
K10d

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote
Could someone please elaborate on the K10D replacement in the Fall. I am considering upgrading from a DS to the K10D but not if it going to be replaced soon and then have another obsolete model.
The K10D will not be replaced "Soon". That depends on what soon means to you. It will be around for quite a while. New firmware updates will resolve some issues that many have asked about. No problem. You can go for it and feel satisfied that you have purchased a very fine creative tool. Like any DSLR camera, it is the lenses that we should consider as the part of the kit that will remain longer than any DSLR. Remember what I said a while ago. Any DSLR including the pro backs are expensive disposable camera's. If you had to wait for every update between now and the end of your life, you would never purchase a camera. Nothing remains static, especially in technology.
03-15-2007, 12:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ugly..

QuoteOriginally posted by BigSpender Quote
But that thing is fugly! I guess looks arnt everything though. Here is an article I found. You may have seen it but check it out anyway. Pentax Digital 645 Prototype: A First Look - Pro SLR / Digital Backs
I think it is kind of "Cute" , a very cute "Monster" of a camera...
03-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pain au chocolat et Croque Monsieur/Madame.

Those are my favorite French lunch foods.

03-15-2007, 01:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Favorite Foods

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Pain au chocolat et Croque Monsieur/Madame.

Those are my favorite French lunch foods.
For myself I prefer a much more refined diet. Subtle yet effective. Textural and Profound...

That's why I opt for a "HUGE BOX OF TIM HORTON DONUTS AND A CASE OF MOLSON GOLDEN BEER.....
03-15-2007, 01:41 PM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
For myself I prefer a much more refined diet. Subtle yet effective. Textural and Profound...

That's why I opt for a "HUGE BOX OF TIM HORTON DONUTS AND A CASE OF MOLSON GOLDEN BEER.....
Can't run away from your canadian roots
03-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Hi Ben, I can identify. I'm a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, very prestigious cooking school. From time to time, to raise money for this thing or that, they would invite world renown chefs to do a three evening cooking course. People would pay oodles to learn how to make Coq au vin by Mr Famous Cheffie. As students we got to volunteer to cut veggies and other types of grunt work. It was great fun as you got to meet and interact with some amazing masters. Once I got to work with Jaques Pepin, the famous French chef. His favorite lunch? Hot dogs and a salad! Go figure.

NaCl(but it is a burnout profession)H2O

03-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The K10D will not be replaced "Soon". That depends on what soon means to you. It will be around for quite a while.
Obviously there's no intention to start a rumor, but isn't that exactly what the Pentax executive said in the PMA interview - A K10D (and K100D) replacement in the fall before the hoiday shopping season?

If the translation was in error on that issue, that would only be good news for those who already purchased the K10D, and hope for updates. (replacement more towards mid-2008 I'd think). A replacement of the K100D would make more sense as it is older, and a push to get that 645D out is something we already see buyers are looking towards considering the price of the Hasselblad.

Also, do you think that Hasselblad will lower their price beacause of the Pentax release?
03-15-2007, 04:38 PM   #24
Veteran Member

If the translation was in error on that issue, that would only be good news for those who already purchased the K10D, and hope for updates.
I have no idea why you have to tie in K10D replacement with K10D updates. Pentax has always been good in supporting discontinued models. So if it is something which can be done by firmware upgrade, I am sure they would implement it regardless whether a replacement model is out or not.

Even as of now, part of Pentax R&D team is working on future models; it's not as if they are dedicating all their staff on one project!

So I just can't see your worry or the relevance of when the replacement model will be out.
03-15-2007, 05:16 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
I have no idea why you have to tie in K10D replacement with K10D updates. Pentax has always been good in supporting discontinued models.
At this point, I was just curious if updates came up in discussion at the lunch this particular time.

So if it is something which can be done by firmware upgrade, I am sure they would implement it regardless whether a replacement model is out or not.
The interview mentioned fall replacement, and someone asked about that where Ben countered saying not soon for the K10D. If something has its root cause in hardware error, then a quick replacement in the fall would be the only way it will be solved. I already realize Pentax will not solve any hardware issues like Nikon did with their D200 banding from misaligned ADC's while continuing to offer that model into 2 years now. I wasn't intending to go into this again. I just was curious about what the executive said at the lunch other than the sposorship stuff.

Even as of now, part of Pentax R&D team is working on future models; it's not as if they are dedicating all their staff on one project!

So I just can't see your worry or the relevance of when the replacement model will be out.
I know their R&D people are working on new models. Its the only way they can come back to prominence in full force, and I hope they succeed. I'm only interested in when the replacement model is coming out now because I was only offered $500 for my K10D. They used the PMA interview as the excuse since it mentioned a replacement in only a few months. (That and Circuit City selling the body & lens kit for $765 right now).

A replacement in only a few months means anything rooted in hardware won't be fixed, but will be absent in the new model. New features, live view, more MP, PC socket, etc. are great for buyers of the new model, and I don't need any of them. I just want clean patternless noise and competitive jpgs in my current K10D. I just assume its not all firmware related. (great if it is, though).
03-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #26

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Oh man! I haven't had a Molson Golden in 20 years! It was called Molson Golden Ale back then. When we took a vacation to Canada we brought back several cases of Golden Ale and Special Dark! Good stuff.
03-15-2007, 06:21 PM   #27

Hmmm... Molson Golden. You must have grown up East of the great lakes. I'm more of a Timbits and Big Rock fan myself.
03-16-2007, 02:52 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Our Lunch etc.

At this point, I was just curious if updates came up in discussion at the lunch this particular time.

The interview mentioned fall replacement, and someone asked about that where Ben countered saying not soon for the K10D. If something has its root cause in hardware error, then a quick replacement in the fall would be the only way it will be solved. I already realize Pentax will not solve any hardware issues like Nikon did with their D200 banding from misaligned ADC's while continuing to offer that model into 2 years now. I wasn't intending to go into this again. I just was curious about what the executive said at the lunch other than the sposorship stuff.

I know their R&D people are working on new models. Its the only way they can come back to prominence in full force, and I hope they succeed. I'm only interested in when the replacement model is coming out now because I was only offered $500 for my K10D. They used the PMA interview as the excuse since it mentioned a replacement in only a few months. (That and Circuit City selling the body & lens kit for $765 right now).

A replacement in only a few months means anything rooted in hardware won't be fixed, but will be absent in the new model. New features, live view, more MP, PC socket, etc. are great for buyers of the new model, and I don't need any of them. I just want clean patternless noise and competitive jpgs in my current K10D. I just assume its not all firmware related. (great if it is, though).
Most of our discussions were related to the logistics of the "Salon de Photos" in Paris October 2007 and how many people we would employ, models, hair, make-up, stylist, assistants, lighting gear etc. We plan on doing some very interactive stuff at this show. It will be very real world from a studio perspective. I have decided to be there for the full five day duration...Hmm, Canon are going to be really pleased when they see my images plastered all over the Pentax stand which is just next to theirs. That, I am not looking forward to.

Last edited by benjikan; 03-16-2007 at 02:07 PM.
03-16-2007, 07:36 AM   #29
Inactive Account

I think it is kind of "Cute" , a very cute "Monster" of a camera...
The camera has a certain something about it, i am planning on getting my grubby little mits on one the end of next year, at that stage i would have saved enough for the body, 1 normal and 1 wide prime.