Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Yeah if they do what Nikon does

I spent alot of last year believe this k-mount full frame fantasy. In the meantime pentax officially said full frame is dead inleiu of considering adding 645D to the roadmap(again).

Indeed Nikon full frame cameras allow for aps-c mode. I use to believe pentax would pick this feature up but recently Hoya said to look for minor upgrades to dslr lineup. For 2009 I'll believe what Hoya says over anyone else. No Full Frame K Mount & maybe they consider offering a 645D.... eventually.

So what K20D Colors would you like to choose from? This is more likely the choice Pentaxians will get to make in 2009. Not that K20D is a bad camera, I sure like mine but I'm not certain I'd need a color other than black.

Should be an interesting PMA Show in March 2009, & just 10 weeks away, Yea!

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
You can use DA*lenses in APS-C mode on FF camera.

12-23-2008, 10:29 AM   #17
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I spent alot of last year believe this k-mount full frame fantasy. In the meantime pentax officially said full frame is dead inleiu of considering adding 645D to the roadmap(again).

Indeed Nikon full frame cameras allow for aps-c mode. I use to believe pentax would pick this feature up but recently Hoya said to look for minor upgrades to dslr lineup.

They said "including minor changes" not "all models will be only variations with minor changes". In fact I expect 2 very new designs ...

Should be an interesting PMA Show in March 2009, & just 10 weeks away, Yea!

I fully agree!
Radu
------
12-23-2008, 10:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Do you think 2 new models for March 2009 or winter 09?

I just noticed B&H is sold out of 4 of 5 K20D offers. You could be right and we'll see 2 major upgrades if B&H do not replenish their K20D inventory. Getting a K20D 6 weeks ago was my major upgrade this fall so I'm pretty satisfied for now.
12-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #19
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I just noticed B&H is sold out of 4 of 5 K20D offers. You could be right and we'll see 2 major upgrades if B&H do not replenish their K20D inventory. Getting a K20D 6 weeks ago was my major upgrade this fall so I'm pretty satisfied for now.
I (my personal gut feeling fueled by some fuzzy infos) see the announcements in February or at very last at PMA and delievery in Q2/09 (like the K20/K200 were announced 24th of Jan and I got mine 1st of March). What I am more anxious to see though is the new lens roadmap as that will IMO shed light about how Hoya sees the future.

Regards,
Radu

12-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
new lens roadmap as that will IMO shed light about how Hoya sees the future.
What makes you think they wouldn't leave off any FA lenses on the roadmap if they're thinking about FF?
12-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #21
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
What makes you think they wouldn't leave off any FA lenses on the roadmap if they're thinking about FF?
I wasn't thinking only in the APS-C/FF paradigm, Ken but also in terms of weather sealing for more than just DA* series, number of new lenses introduced on the roadmap and foreseen delievery dates. You are aware that I see the next flagship camera as an over 20Mp, over APS-C sized one so I guess FF lenses will be both necessary and a sign of a future proof strategy. In fact I see 2009 and Q1 of 2010 as the only possible window of oportunity for Pentax to make some FF lenses regardless of whether they make a FF camera or not. Because in 2010 with the Samsung micro-mount they will probably focus on those. If the old Pentax was able to introduce about 8 new lenses or variants in 2008 and almost make 2 more I expect Hoya to add some to that number for 2009 in all ranges (premium - stars and limiteds, prosumer and kit lenses).
And if what I heard is true both DA* 60-250 and DA* 55 are *very* FF ready.

Regards,
Radu
12-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wasn't thinking only in the APS-C/FF paradigm, Ken but also in terms of weather sealing for more than just DA* series, number of new lenses introduced on the roadmap and foreseen delievery dates. You are aware that I see the next flagship camera as an over 20Mp, over APS-C sized one so I guess FF lenses will be both necessary and a sign of a future proof strategy. Radu

The two next bodies above the K-m will both use the 14,6mp sensor. No 20mp+ DSLR from Pentax soon. No true flagship iminent (if one does not regard the most expensive camera in the line-up at any time as a flagship). Pentax have both an FF K-mount DSLR in the works and a 645D. Neither is likely to get the go ahed in todays economic reality. Not until the market turns.
Pentax will continue to make FF lenses simply because they sell! And because in the future there will be an FF body at some point, and the more FF lenses there are out there, particularly recently sold ones, the more potential customers there will be in place for the camera.
Thats what I think anyway.....

12-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote

I don't think Pentax necessarily will show any future roadmap. The need is less now that the lens line-up is more complete. What Hoya means with roadmap is their plans. That there will be changes in the planned lens and lens family is obvious. Besides, the current lens family is indeed a mess and theres is little matching between lens family and cameras; eg. where is the Limited camera? Where are the compact weather sealed lenses? FF? etc....
12-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #24
Veteran Member

in terms of weather sealing for more than just DA* series, number of new lenses introduced on the roadmap and foreseen delievery dates
Ahh. I'd like to know that myself. More weathersealed lenses would be nice. I'm sure they won't release FF lenses as FA though...DA and a bit larger than they should be for APS-C would be my guess

I'm sure Samsung already has a FF sensor done, or at least the R&D. Whether they'll help fund Pentax to bring a body to market is what is iffy because of the economy.

FWIW, my local FedEx delivery person says it's been crazy busy and the economy doesn't seem to have affected the mail order business...I'll bet the local states are going to be screaming for an Internet tax again next year
12-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I saw Elvis today, he was carrying a K30F (for full frame) said to me "whats all the hubbub about bub" shook his leg, then ran off.

Darn me, I didn't have a camera with me at the time. The luck.
12-23-2008, 03:18 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the only certainty I have about anything written on this particular board is that no one who's saying anything has the slightest idea what Pentax is going to do next.

I also see, apparently, a certain number of people attempting to induce some kind of panic for no apparent reason over no particular information.