Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kerrick James in Outdoor Photographer

Hot on the heels of his Pop Photo spread, Kerrick James (Pentax shooter) has a nice article in the current issue of Outdoor Photographer. It covers 3-4 pages of texts and photos, and even has a nice subsection on the K20D that Kerrick uses. It's an actual article, not an "advertorial" that sometimes appears in magazines like this.

Nice exposure for Kerrick and for Pentax.

12-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Russ. Is there an online link or do we have to buy the magazine?

NaCl(don't need another magazine, my kitchen table is full as it is!)H2O
12-23-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I just found the link online.

Alaska By Sea - Outdoor Photographer | OutdoorPhotographer.com
12-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Russ.

NaCl(now I have to wait till I get home, company security doesn't like the OdP site for some reason)H2O

12-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter

James does nice work, but look closely...his article is on Alaska and has a side bar listing many Alaskan resorts and such to visit. So it is very much tied to advertising--and bully for him. Perhaps he assembled the advertisers first to help get the article published? If so, again bully for him and well done. A nikon or canon shooter can get into magazines easier because nikon and canon have already purchased pages of ads worth tens of thousands of dollars--sometimes more. Whether James tied in the co-op sidebar or whether OP did it doesn't matter. Fact is, I've been reading that mag for a decade and have seen very few of the sidebar ad pieces. James pulled it off very well with a nice article that included a two-page spread shot from a moving kayak. But don't kid yourself, without the advertising sidebar, the article would not have been included. (I once worked as senior editor of a full-color glossy magazine so I speak from experience.)
12-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Also, that's two issues this fall that Outdoor Photographer has run a feature article by a Pentax shooter (Sebastiao Selgado in a previous issue--he shoots Pentax 645 and black and white film). Perhaps Outdoor Photographer is trying to court Pentax into buying pages of ads? I'm guessing that advertising revenue is getting harder to come by in the current economy. $50,000 multi-page spreads with special heavy paper like nikon and canon like to do are probably getting tougher to sell, so OP may realize they need all brands to buy ads--which means they need to run articles by photographers shooting all brands...
12-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Ron, I couldn't help but notice that you have some of the "rare" glass that James K. was using on his Alaska shoot.

QuoteQuote:
or Alaska, I always bring my long glass, a rare 250-600mm /5.6 ED zoom, to photograph cetaceans and all manner of wildlife.
12-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Yes, guilty as charged...truly I'm an FA* freak. Partly because FA* lenses joined my kit simultaneously with starting to sell a decent number of pics to magazines. So rather than try to claim credit myself, I subconsciously credited the FA*'s and now the love affair has gone on so long I can't "divorce" my girls. Hate to admit it, but I probably shoot the *'s more than the limiteds (31,43, & 77). My kid dodged falling snow today blazing away with the FA* 28-70/2.8. Haven't "checked his work yet" but for sure it will be sharp as hell.

I'll even admit that I don't own any of the DA*'s yet, though I could certainly cash in on one or two FA*'s and get with the weather resistant program. I just prefer my hefty FA models. A close shooting buddy has DA*'s and we trade back and forth from time to time, so I'm not totally lost in the past...probably also caught up in the "gosh these FA*'s will be cool with that new FF whenever Pentax gets around to it...