Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2022, 06:35 PM - 13 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New firmware, lens-specific custom image and features for K-1, K-1 II and K-3 III

Pentax has announced some new firmware updates for the following cameras.

The Autumn lens-specific custom issue is called KYUSHU (九秋) and compatible with the following lenses.
HD PENTAX FA 43mmF1.9 Limited
HD PENTAX-DA 70mmF2.4 Limited
HD PENTAX-DA 40mmF2.8 Limited
HD PENTAX-DA 21mmF3.2 AL Limited

By the way, there is a part of Japan called "Kyushu" but this is a different lettering. It is an old name for the month of September.

It's quite a muted look

??????????? / PENTAX K-1 Mark II / ??????? / ?? | RICOH IMAGING

2.00 for K-1 (General performance updates and introduction of KYUSHU)
Latest PENTAX K-1 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

2.00 for K-1 Mark II (General performance updates and introduction of KYUSHU)
Latest PENTAX K-1 Mark II Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

1.60 for K-3 III (General performance updates, introduction of KYUSHU, and user mode name now displayed on screen - finally!)
Latest PENTAX K-3 Mark III Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

A very interesting thing, which is Japan only at the moment, is the option to buy an activation code to unlock a new feature on the K-1 or K-1 II called Grad ND. This offers a graduated ND filter effect by setting the desired strength of the effect before shooting and merging two exposures. There is note that sale on other countries is not "determined" yet, but I think they will do it as soon as they can sort out how to take payment and clarify an legal issues.

There is information in Japanese on it on this page.
PENTAX K-1 Mark II ??????? / PENTAX K-1 Mark II / ??????? / ?? | RICOH IMAGING

10-17-2022, 07:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thank you
10-17-2022, 09:04 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
but where can get the code for ND update ?
10-17-2022, 10:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shy_shy_sorry Quote
but where can get the code for ND update ?
Looks like we have to wait......

Note: The Grad ND Shooting activation key issuance is a service that will be launched first in Japan. the launch of this service outside of Japan has not yet been determined.

10-17-2022, 11:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While the web page doesn't directly say so – at least that I could find – I gather that the Grad ND feature is available for RAW shooting, in which case it could be a good alternative to the already-available HDR modes.
10-18-2022, 12:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

included ND filters

I would welcome that.

Anyway, firmware updates for some combinations of bodies and lenses ... this is very, very unhappy.
10-18-2022, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
Anyway, firmware updates for some combinations of bodies and lenses ... this is very, very unhappy.
What's positive about it is that they aren't completely out of the fall / autumn window for that firmware release, only one month late relative to central European / North American seasons, and the delivery is in time if we consider the fall season in Japan (fall colors peaking in the second half of November in Kyoto). The worst would be to set expectations and completely failing to deliver.

10-18-2022, 12:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

11,000 yen (£65) for an "electronic" graduated filter that you can only use on one camera … I'll live without it!
There's also an update for DCU available … be playing with that later
10-18-2022, 12:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
11,000 yen (£65) for an "electronic" graduated filter that you can only use on one camera … I'll live without it!
There's also an update for DCU available … be playing with that later
depends on the specifications! I think that this isvery useful. I have spent much more for various filters of various sizes.
10-18-2022, 01:04 AM - 3 Likes   #10
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I can confirm the Grad ND produces a RAW file. Obviously it’s a kind of multi shot, so needs be executed on a tripod. The user can choose what kind of filter they want and actually make and store three custom patterns. You can also choose the strength at 1/3 stop intervals.

I guess some people will feel upset at not getting it for free. But surely developing this was not free for Pentax and it has a lot of time/weight/cost advantage for the user if you don’t need to buy, carry and switch filters at different diameters any more. It’s certainly a different level of update than a bug-fix.

It’s also worth remembering that K-1 was the cheapest full frame camera on the market when it was released. Even the current K-1 II works out as the cheapest high-res camera now (at least here in Japan). So I don’t think they included a very high implied cost of future feature updates in that initial price.
10-18-2022, 01:15 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I can confirm the Grad ND produces a RAW file. Obviously it’s a kind of multi shot, so needs be executed on a tripod. The user can choose what kind of filter they want and actually make and store three custom patterns. You can also choose the strength at 1/3 stop intervals.

I guess some people will feel upset at not getting it for free. But surely developing this was not free for Pentax and it has a lot of time/weight/cost advantage for the user if you don’t need to buy, carry and switch filters at different diameters any more. It’s certainly a different level of update than a bug-fix.

It’s also worth remembering that K-1 was the cheapest full frame camera on the market when it was released. Even the current K-1 II works out as the cheapest high-res camera now (at least here in Japan). So I don’t think they included a very high implied cost of future feature updates in that initial price.
Well, I understand the point ... but other companies often bring significant, really significant updates for free.
10-18-2022, 01:29 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I'm always happy for new FW releases Interesting that the version number got pretty higher with that one, so possibly there are more fixes/changes than officially stated (under improved stability for general performance)
10-18-2022, 01:56 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ND filter is not an update, but rather a feature that you can buy or not. I hardly see this as an update, it does not upgrade camera software, it just add specific new feature. It is also a way for Pentax to earn money. And this is a good way as the feature they bring is something that is/can be really useful for people who normally use ND filters.

For me it is ok for it to be paid update. Pentax already gives a lot of features for free with its cameras (like new astrotracer for example). If it get enough attention and customers maybe we will see some interesting paid software upgrades for current cameras in the future. I suppose there is a lot that can be done with digital sensor that no one ever did.
10-18-2022, 05:36 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think I said this last time, but I'd be excited for this if I owned any of these cameras or lenses. Seems like it could be fun for a "post your Kyushu pictures" thread or something.
10-18-2022, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know that some people think that GNDs are obsolete with digital post processing or multi exposures. But both have their restrictions so IMO they can‘t fully replace good optical GNDs. My 2 cents.