Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 118 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2022, 06:59 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ver 1.60 for the Mk III is well worth the download

Pentax finally added the descriptive terms for the Custom User Modes in the K-3 Mk III and they show up on the rear screen. The only caveat is that the description only stays visible on the rear screen after you turn the Mode Dial for around three seconds but its there. So to see the user mode description you must first turn the mode dial as it doesn't show up when the camera is turned on and already in the specific user mode.

10-18-2022, 07:21 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone seen any significant feature upgrades from this firmware in the K-1 mII?
10-18-2022, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Has anyone seen any significant feature upgrades from this firmware in the K-1 mII?

Improved stability for general performance. As always with firmware updates.
10-18-2022, 09:48 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
ND filter is not an update, but rather a feature that you can buy or not. I hardly see this as an update, it does not upgrade camera software, it just add specific new feature. It is also a way for Pentax to earn money. And this is a good way as the feature they bring is something that is/can be really useful for people who normally use ND filters.

For me it is ok for it to be paid update. Pentax already gives a lot of features for free with its cameras (like new astrotracer for example). If it get enough attention and customers maybe we will see some interesting paid software upgrades for current cameras in the future. I suppose there is a lot that can be done with digital sensor that no one ever did.
I downloaded the manual of this new function, it's in japanese, .... is a huge piece of software not a small function with only on/off or type 1/2/3 .... there are many settings and UI behaviors.
I'm curious about the activation mail ... is this real?

10-18-2022, 10:17 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Update of the DCU 5.95
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
10-18-2022, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am very interested in the GND software, and likely to buy it when it comes to the UK. It will be a killer with the D FA 15-30.
10-18-2022, 11:12 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I am very interested in the GND software, and likely to buy it when it comes to the UK. It will be a killer with the D FA 15-30.
That's the thing about it. The DFA 15-30 is a nice lens, but using in in conjunction with filters is not easy. This could certainly provide an alternative for lenses without filter rings. I already typically use tripods for landscape shots with the DFA 15-30 so that wouldn't be a big deal to do.

10-18-2022, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

I don't like the "Premium Features" thing. We're not talking about relatively complex apps, but a GND "filter"...
This can turn against Pentax, since others are adding more complex functions for "free".
10-18-2022, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't like the "Premium Features" thing. We're not talking about relatively complex apps, but a GND "filter"...
This can turn against Pentax, since others are adding more complex functions for "free".
We are also talking about adding functions to cameras that are pretty old. I might feel a bit differently about the K-3 III, but the option of adding something to a K-1 which is now six and a half years old is nice. I do think the software is more complex as I would hope there is some blending of the two exposures rather than a hard line with a darker exposure above and lighter exposure below.
10-18-2022, 02:59 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
That's the thing about it. The DFA 15-30 is a nice lens, but using in in conjunction with filters is not easy. This could certainly provide an alternative for lenses without filter rings. I already typically use tripods for landscape shots with the DFA 15-30 so that wouldn't be a big deal to do.
Lee filters, and I believe one other make a filter holder for the 15-30. It works very well with the 150 Lee filters. The downside is it is not cheap and nor are the filters.

I tend these days to bracket my exposures and merge them in software, rather than using a physical GND
10-18-2022, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We are also talking about adding functions to cameras that are pretty old. I might feel a bit differently about the K-3 III, but the option of adding something to a K-1 which is now six and a half years old is nice. I do think the software is more complex as I would hope there is some blending of the two exposures rather than a hard line with a darker exposure above and lighter exposure below.
The information on the website (in Japanese, but I used a translation tool) seems to fairly convincingly say that it’s gradual, which accords with the name. In principle, it’s no different to adding a graduated filter in post, except that it will maintain features that might otherwise be blown out too far for post-processing to recover.

Plus, of course, it differs from HDR in that it is sensor location-dependent, rather than luminosity-dependent. Which leads me to wonder if it’s available in portrait as well as landscape orientation, though I can’t see why it wouldn’t be.
10-18-2022, 05:56 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by freighthaus Quote
Software as a subscription is bad. Camera as a subscription is worse. Hard pass.
That's fine. I'm not sure I would purchase it either, but the nice thing about it is that you have the option not to purchase it. Nothing bad will happen to your camera and if this feature isn't useful to you, then it wouldn't have been helpful to have it auto installed anyway -- even if it was free.

I see this as quite a bit different from a subscription model, like Adobe uses -- with those it isn't that you have to pay for new features on Lightroom, for instance, it is that if you don't pay on a given month, your software vanishes. Unlike that, if you choose not to pay for this extra feature, your camera continues to function, just not with a GND.
10-18-2022, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's fine. I'm not sure I would purchase it either, but the nice thing about it is that you have the option not to purchase it. Nothing bad will happen to your camera and if this feature isn't useful to you, then it wouldn't have been helpful to have it auto installed anyway -- even if it was free.

I see this as quite a bit different from a subscription model, like Adobe uses -- with those it isn't that you have to pay for new features on Lightroom, for instance, it is that if you don't pay on a given month, your software vanishes. Unlike that, if you choose not to pay for this extra feature, your camera continues to function, just not with a GND.
Completely true. Camera as a subscription? No, firmware is still free. Added features cost money. This dovetails the craft model where custom features may be made available. Incremental updates for a fee sound like a great idea for a small company.
10-18-2022, 08:05 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Customer User Mode descriptions

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Pentax finally added the descriptive terms for the Custom User Modes in the K-3 Mk III and they show up on the rear screen.

Yaay, this was sorely missed going to the K3iii from the K3.
10-18-2022, 08:59 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This "Autumn" look has just been added in Autumn, right, it isn't restricted to Autumn use? And the Summer/Satobi look is still in there as well?